Recently I was on my Xbox 360 and I decided to play some Halo 2. When I started up the game it told me I needed an update to continue. This was a little weird to me since the 360 isn't Halo 2's native console and it's been a little over 8 years since XBL 1.0 was discontinued. I think it said the update was 6 MB but I'm not sure. Either way I know it didn't really do anything to change the game. I don't see why 343 would have any interest in updating the game but I remember when people noticed an update for other games like GTA 4 and Fallout 3 people started freaking out about it. Is this something other people are seeing or is it just a bug?
Edit: BTW I have version 1.1 on my 360, not sure if that means anything but I thought I'd just throw that in there.
Halo 2 had a couple of version updates pushed out during its heyday. These served to fix things like sword flying and such that caused people to have huge advantages in multiplayer. You’re right that the servers have been shut down for multiplayer. However, the patch is still likely stored on Xbox Live servers. So the patch isn’t new, although that would get the hype trains going good.
The 360 sometimes clears out old updates for games to save space, or when you perform certain space saving operations on the console. If it's been a while since you played your cuisine will download any missing updates. This won't be a new update, just downloading a missing patch.

The alternative is that it's an update to the emulation system that runs the game, but again won't be anything new.
stckrboy wrote:
The 360 sometimes clears out old updates for games to save space, or when you perform certain space saving operations on the console. If it's been a while since you played your cuisine will download any missing updates. This won't be a new update, just downloading a missing patch.

The alternative is that it's an update to the emulation system that runs the game, but again won't be anything new.
I was going to say the same thing. It's happened to me more than a few times. It's exciting to see until you realize you're just redownloading an old patch