Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Halo 3 Hillside Memorial

OP Treymode

So playing through legendary with my brother watching the last cutscenes where it was the 117 carved into the pelican wing, the way its scratched in kinda resembles the cuts from an energy sword on a wall. What if Arbiter carved the 117 himself with his sword? Not something to be considered too seriously, but I do think it would be a cool/touching bit of the game.
Treymode wrote:
So playing through legendary with my brother watching the last cutscenes where it was the 117 carved into the pelican wing, the way its scratched in kinda resembles the cuts from an energy sword on a wall. What if Arbiter carved the 117 himself with his sword? Not something to be considered too seriously, but I do think it would be a cool/touching bit of the game.
That is some pretty neat and sweet head cannon.
I like to think that it's just vandalism, and it's the area code of where the memorial is at.
I like to think that it's just vandalism, and it's the area code of where the memorial is at.
😂 ^ THIS!!

But honestly, it's a nice sentiment that it was the arbiter, but I feel like trying to carve numbers with an energy sword would just be an awkward experience. The swords are too big. Plus, Chief was meant to be humanity's hero, not the Arbiter's... so I kind of like the idea of a random Marine carving 117 onto the memorial, out of respect for the man who had saved them all, but who was top secret and was only known publicly by his rank and number.
Treymode wrote:
I think it looks similar because the developers used the same decals the energy sword used. There wouldn't be a reason to make new decals just for that one shot, since it already looks fine.
I think this is more than just who put '117' on the pelican wing. Has anyone noticed why they didn't use a photo like they did for the other dozens of people on the wing? Or why it was small? I believe they were trying to say that there was a '117' in all of those who protected Earth, or maybe us the players. It is possible that '117' was a message that we all can be the hero we see the Chief as if we work hard to contribute. It could be small tasks or life risking tasks, but that means our '117' is sparking within us. You all may think I'm crazy, but it's what I thought when I saw that in the game.

On another note, if Arbiter did this, then it possibly describes that his kind honors true heroes despite their past and such.