Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Halo 3 is terrible, change my mind.

OP StoodLeech72880

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I can't believe we didn't get a boss fight with the didact.
We got one with guilty spark.
@HappyPlace1866Some rebuttals to your rebuttals:
The scarabs you fight aren't the whole picture. They are merely the objectives. The real threats are the enemies on board the scarabs as well as the enemies in the vehicles. Whether you take the hornet or continue in the scorpion, you still have to deal with either ground vehicles or aerial vehicles in order to defeat both of them.
Rebuttal: The point I made was that the scarabs are boring, provide no challenge, and are easily defeated. Whether you surround them with enemies or not doesn't make them anymore interesting. After you kill all the enemies your left with a boring stomp machine without any pathing to prevent you from just hiding underneith it. Also, if you fly a hornet high enough, the only thing that shoots at you is a banshee.
Johnson was captured in H2 as well. It's kind of his thing throughout the franchise. He gets put in sticky situations yet somehow always survives. What made his death so epic was the fact that, for once, he wasn't able to get out of the sticky situation.
Rebuttal: Um no, he was cool in Halo 2 and then got shot in the back unexpectedly by 343 Guilty Spark who additionally had no purpose throughout the story of Halo 3. All Guilty Spark did was unlock doors the entire time.
Arbiter killing Truth was an epic cut scene. You fought your way through waves of Covenant forces until you finally made it to the control room in the Citadel. I'm not sure what was so anticlimactic about that moment. Arby was working toward that moment the entire game and finally accomplished his mission.
Rebuttal: see my other comments. Ultimately, the Prophet is part of the Arbiters story line and the Arbiter had no story line in Halo 3 other than to follow the Master Chief around.
Regarding weapons, they weren't reskins. The spiker has a different fire rate and the melee is more effective.
Rebuttal: Just because a weapon has a different rate of fire doesn't makes it different. The SMG, assault rifle, plasma rifle, and spiker are essentially the same weapons. Yeah, I know the melee is supposedly "more effective" on the spiker but that never makes a difference in an actual fight.
Dual wielding the mauler to create a double shotgun ability is also incredibly cool and fun to use.
Rebuttal: oh wow, two shotguns that are still worse than the shotgun and sword. How original.
As for the incendiary grenade, that was an awesome addition! It was an entirely new type of grenade with a different purpose from every other grenade.
Rebuttal: oh wow, it creates fire when you throw it and instantly kills anything it touches. Wow. Just like a molotov cocktail.
Might want to use the quote feature in the future to avoid long blocks of texts. But anyway, despite the good advice of Tuhin94, I'm going to continue to engage because I'm bored, it's 3 AM, I'm off work, and there's a White Claw in my hand (don't judge me):
  1. We will just have to agree to disagree on the Scarabs then. I thought they were fun and challenging, but if you found them boring, then you're a better player than me.
  2. Sergeant Johnson was cool in H3. He walked up to a group of Elites and snatched up their beam rifle without flinching. Not sure why you think that's not a bad-yoink- thing to do since you believe he was not cool in H3. And you still haven't addressed the fact that Johnson has been captured multiple times throughout the franchise. Not just in H3.
  3. Fair enough, the Arbiter took a back seat. I addressed that in a previous post on this thread.
  4. If you think the SMG, assault rifle, plasma rifle, and spiker are essentially the same, then idk what to tell you. They just aren't. They all have different fire rates, some require cool down periods while others require reloads, they have different ammo capacities, affect health and shields differently, and some can be dual wielded while others can't.
  5. If you don't think dual wielding pocket shotguns like the mauler is cool, then I definitely can't help you. That's one of the coolest ideas I've ever heard.
  6. I should clarify my point. The incendiary grenade was original to Halo. Of course we have napalm, molotov cocktails, and flame throwers in real life (which was also a new weapon added to the sandbox in H3 by the way). But Halo didn't have any fire-based weapons like that at the time. Which is what made them original to Halo.
That's all I got for ya OP. If you don't like Halo 3, then more power to ya. Just wanted to throw my two cents in (more like two hundred cents at this point lol).
@HappyPlace1866Some rebuttals to your rebuttals:
The scarabs you fight aren't the whole picture. They are merely the objectives. The real threats are the enemies on board the scarabs as well as the enemies in the vehicles. Whether you take the hornet or continue in the scorpion, you still have to deal with either ground vehicles or aerial vehicles in order to defeat both of them.
Rebuttal: The point I made was that the scarabs are boring, provide no challenge, and are easily defeated. Whether you surround them with enemies or not doesn't make them anymore interesting. After you kill all the enemies your left with a boring stomp machine without any pathing to prevent you from just hiding underneith it. Also, if you fly a hornet high enough, the only thing that shoots at you is a banshee.
Johnson was captured in H2 as well. It's kind of his thing throughout the franchise. He gets put in sticky situations yet somehow always survives. What made his death so epic was the fact that, for once, he wasn't able to get out of the sticky situation.
Rebuttal: Um no, he was cool in Halo 2 and then got shot in the back unexpectedly by 343 Guilty Spark who additionally had no purpose throughout the story of Halo 3. All Guilty Spark did was unlock doors the entire time.
Arbiter killing Truth was an epic cut scene. You fought your way through waves of Covenant forces until you finally made it to the control room in the Citadel. I'm not sure what was so anticlimactic about that moment. Arby was working toward that moment the entire game and finally accomplished his mission.
Rebuttal: see my other comments. Ultimately, the Prophet is part of the Arbiters story line and the Arbiter had no story line in Halo 3 other than to follow the Master Chief around.
Regarding weapons, they weren't reskins. The spiker has a different fire rate and the melee is more effective.
Rebuttal: Just because a weapon has a different rate of fire doesn't makes it different. The SMG, assault rifle, plasma rifle, and spiker are essentially the same weapons. Yeah, I know the melee is supposedly "more effective" on the spiker but that never makes a difference in an actual fight.
Dual wielding the mauler to create a double shotgun ability is also incredibly cool and fun to use.
Rebuttal: oh wow, two shotguns that are still worse than the shotgun and sword. How original.
As for the incendiary grenade, that was an awesome addition! It was an entirely new type of grenade with a different purpose from every other grenade.
Rebuttal: oh wow, it creates fire when you throw it and instantly kills anything it touches. Wow. Just like a molotov cocktail.
Might want to use the quote feature in the future to avoid long blocks of texts. But anyway, despite the good advice of Tuhin94, I'm going to continue to engage because I'm bored, it's 3 AM, I'm off work, and there's a White Claw in my hand (don't judge me):
  1. We will just have to agree to disagree on the Scarabs then. I thought they were fun and challenging, but if you found them boring, then you're a better player than me.
  2. Sergeant Johnson was cool in H3. He walked up to a group of Elites and snatched up their beam rifle without flinching. Not sure why you think that's not a bad-yoink- thing to do since you believe he was not cool in H3. And you still haven't addressed the fact that Johnson has been captured multiple times throughout the franchise. Not just in H3.
  3. Fair enough, the Arbiter took a back seat. I addressed that in a previous post on this thread.
  4. If you think the SMG, assault rifle, plasma rifle, and spiker are essentially the same, then idk what to tell you. They just aren't. They all have different fire rates, some require cool down periods while others require reloads, they have different ammo capacities, affect health and shields differently, and some can be dual wielded while others can't.
  5. If you don't think dual wielding pocket shotguns like the mauler is cool, then I definitely can't help you. That's one of the coolest ideas I've ever heard.
  6. I should clarify my point. The incendiary grenade was original to Halo. Of course we have napalm, molotov cocktails, and flame throwers in real life (which was also a new weapon added to the sandbox in H3 by the way). But Halo didn't have any fire-based weapons like that at the time. Which is what made them original to Halo.
That's all I got for ya OP. If you don't like Halo 3, then more power to ya. Just wanted to throw my two cents in (more like two hundred cents at this point lol).
+1 for White Claws.

At this point - I'd have to agree with whoever said it earlier - it's probably about time to wrap this thread up. It seems more like a hate thread by OP on Halo 3 instead of an actual open discussion. I think both sides have made some great points, and multiple people have made the same point - which means that if OP isn't going to have an open mind, then there's no point in the discourse.
Yeah great discussion everyone. Just keep repeating the SMG isnt the same as the spiker and fire is unique to Halo and call it quits. Cant wait to catch you on a political debate stage.
Yeah great discussion everyone. Just keep repeating the SMG isnt the same as the spiker and fire is unique to Halo and call it quits. Cant wait to catch you on a political debate stage.
People are saying the SMG isnt the same as the Spiker....because it isn't. This is not even open for debate, they are two separate weapons with different characteristics. This is like arguing a PPSh and P90 are the same thing since they both have a high fire rate. I also feel as though your comments as to the sound design are laughable honestly. The only weapon or sound in the game I think sounds bad is the SMG, or as it was known commonly, the automatic stapler. Everything else from the ambient noise, music, voice acting, weapons, and vehicles sounds great.

To answer your question earlier, I do not think this is a good question. Halo 3 had the community it did because of its popularity and because people loved it so much. I also find it really strange that you and others who detract from Halo 3 like to really harp on the campaign and story. While I disagree that Halo 3's story is as bad as you make it out to be, there is no denying Bungie did stumble in some areas. You bring up points about the lore being inconsistent, and truthfully I am not the biggest lore guy so I guess I'll concede that point.

I do however offer this response to your campaign gripes;
Who cares. No really, who ACTUALLY cares? People didn't buy Halo 3 for the campaign, or even the story. Yes it is an important part of the game, but most people bought it for the multiplayer, which was fun and exciting. The campaign was enjoyable but in relation to what modes people played in game campaign was a tiny portion next to multiplayer. Its something you go through a time or two and then move on. I will not argue about the campaign beyond this since I don't think we'll get anywhere, and it is overall unimportant in the bigger picture of why Halo 3 was and still is so beloved. If you want to really strike Halo 3 where it hurts, offer some legitimate criticisms of the multiplayer, not "Mauler not cool, spiker same as SMG".
"I leave home for a few days and look what happens."

Halo 3 may not be as good today compared to the more recent games (the hit detection is maddening), but story-wise it is a satisfying ending and like all the Halo games it has memorable moments. The fact that the Chief and the Arbiter are now brothers-in-arms rather then enemies is one of the best character developments throughout the entire series.
Really hated the FOV of Halo 3.
On the MCC PC version is editable ;)
x N7 117 x wrote:

Halo 3 may not be as good today compared to the more recent games (the hit detection is maddening), but story-wise it is a satisfying ending and like all the Halo games it has memorable moments. The fact that the Chief and the Arbiter are now brothers-in-arms rather then enemies is one of the best character developments throughout the entire series.
Character development? They bumped into each other in Halo 2 for 5 minutes and all of a sudden they're allies. Yeahhhhhh, that's some epic character development right there.
Zardnar wrote:
I do however offer this response to your campaign gripes;
Who cares. No really, who ACTUALLY cares? People didn't buy Halo 3 for the campaign, or even the story. Yes it is an important part of the game, but most people bought it for the multiplayer, which was fun and exciting. The campaign was enjoyable but in relation to what modes people played in game campaign was a tiny portion next to multiplayer. Its something you go through a time or two and then move on. I will not argue about the campaign beyond this since I don't think we'll get anywhere, and it is overall unimportant in the bigger picture of why Halo 3 was and still is so beloved. If you want to really strike Halo 3 where it hurts, offer some legitimate criticisms of the multiplayer, not "Mauler not cool, spiker same as SMG".
Um... Halo 3's marketing was "Finish the fight". It was the end of a trilogy. People didn't buy Halo 3, a game that is widely popularized for its story which has spawned dozens of novels, comics, and alternative media, for it's campaign? I've always wanted to meet a stupid person. Thank you for making my dream come true.
I can't believe we didn't get a boss fight with the didact.
We got one with guilty spark.
I can't believe 343 stupidly listened to the Halo community and removed him from the story by killing him off in a comic.
kaseli wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:

Character development? They bumped into each other in Halo 2 for 5 minutes and all of a sudden they're allies. Yeahhhhhh, that's some epic character development right there.
They obviously weren't allies in Halo 2. Not even at the beginning of Halo 3 were they truly allies (the Chief would have blown the Arbiter's brains out then and there had Johnson not stopped him). The fact that he snatches the assault rifle from Johnson afterwards indicates that he thinks its a bad idea.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2