The peak joy from Halo campaigns comes from the marines. Drama action and whatever else comes from the setpeices and story. But the marines add the human element; the power fantasy aspect to the games comes from the contrast between you and the marines you pick up along the way. I'm currently halfway through Halo 3 on heroic, doing a "challenge run" of sorts. The goal of my run is to keep every marine alive and armed to the teeth for the entirety of the mission. (Or until their AI refuses to pass a certain rally point.) The excitement of marines who see the Cheif, drives them to fight on by your side through insurmountable odds, because YOU are the cheif. The encounter before the hunters on The Storm, with the civilians who seconds before you save them are fighting to survive with only pistols against the brutes, when rescued they take up arms and charge in just as fearlessly as the marines. It really gives off that desperate to survive and the fight on in the face of annihilation vibe that halo 3 seems to so delicately mix in with its theming through the marines and UNSC.
At the final push on the hill with my 2 marines, (the others stayed at the improvised medbay) 4 civilians ended successfully I felt the most pure excitement and giddiness for having kept them alive and THEY took out the AA gun as I mopped up the final few brutes. My 2 marines had BRs. 2 of the civilians had assault rifles, and the last 2 had shotguns. I really dont know how exactly to describe it but its honestly just nostalgic to play a halo game and have marines follow you into hell and hear their excitement at doing so.
I know exactly what you mean. No matter the Halo game, I always try to keep my marines/Grunts/fellow Elites alive and I always feel bad if I lose one.
Treymode wrote:
The peak joy from Halo campaigns comes from the marines.
That depends on the situation. Kat's driving comes to mind.

Treymode wrote:
I'm currently halfway through Halo 3 on heroic, doing a "challenge run" of sorts. The goal of my run is to keep every marine alive and armed to the teeth for the entirety of the mission. (Or until their AI refuses to pass a certain rally point.)
Interesting, I never thought of attempting that before. Must be troublesome on Floodgate.

Treymode wrote:
The excitement of marines who see the Cheif, drives them to fight on by your side through insurmountable odds, because YOU are the cheif.
An enthusiasm regrettably missing in newer halo games, partly due to their diminished presence in favor of Spartans.

Treymode wrote:
The encounter before the hunters on The Storm, with the civilians who seconds before you save them are fighting to survive with only pistols against the brutes, when rescued they take up arms and charge in just as fearlessly as the marines. It really gives off that desperate to survive and the fight on in the face of annihilation vibe that halo 3 seems to so delicately mix in with its theming through the marines and UNSC.
And you can arm them with whatever you want. 16 marines/workers with shotguns storming the AA gun hill makes for an epic scene.

Treymode wrote:
At the final push on the hill with my 2 marines, (the others stayed at the improvised medbay)
If you have a rocket launcher, you can bring extra marines along by handing it over to a marine repeatedly while pushing him. He always attempts to reload it and does this twice (patched since H3:ODST?), which is more than enough time to prevent him from running back. When you come out of the zig-zagging hallway, you're greeted with 2 marines (wielding a BR and a shotgun respectively) and there's a dark room with breakable windows on the opposite side. You can move about 5-6 marines (who run out of the medbay but stay back in the hallway) into this room and block them with the nearby weapon crate (which has BRs). You can release them later, but I'm not sure if they'll run up to join the other marines.

Treymode wrote:
4 civilians ended successfully I felt the most pure excitement and giddiness for having kept them alive and THEY took out the AA gun as I mopped up the final few brutes. My 2 marines had BRs. 2 of the civilians had assault rifles, and the last 2 had shotguns. I really dont know how exactly to describe it but its honestly just nostalgic to play a halo game and have marines follow you into hell and hear their excitement at doing so.
Whoa I didn't know they could take out the AA gun on their own. I was under the impression that it was immune to their shots.
This is why ODST was such a home wrecker for me man. Being apart of a squad that is instantly tarnished ruined me mentally. Thats why i seriously think it was such a underappreciated game. ODST appreciation all the way!
x N7 117 x wrote:
I know exactly what you mean. No matter the Halo game, I always try to keep my marines/Grunts/fellow Elites alive and I always feel bad if I lose one.
What about Sentinels, Hunters and Jackals? I feel their lives are just as important if you play like this.
x N7 117 x wrote:
What about Sentinels, Hunters and Jackals? I feel their lives are just as important if you play like this.
Sentinels, I don't feel bad for. Hunters I will try to keep alive but if one of them falls, I won't feel too bad. Jackels? It depends on how much of an annoyance they were in the previous mission 😏
x N7 117 x wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
Sentinels, I don't feel bad for. Hunters I will try to keep alive but if one of them falls, I won't feel too bad. Jackels? It depends on how much of an annoyance they were in the previous mission 😏
Understandable , but why do you have no compassion towards Sentinels?
x N7 117 x wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
Understandable , but why do you have no compassion towards Sentinels?
Because they are just... there. They float in, kill things, don't really interact with the player, and don't follow the player throughout the mission. They will hang around in one area most of the time.
iSethFPS wrote:
This is why ODST was such a home wrecker for me man. Being apart of a squad that is instantly tarnished ruined me mentally. Thats why i seriously think it was such a underappreciated game. ODST appreciation all the way!
I spit out my coffee at this. Did you go to rehab for Halo 3: ODST? That is hilarious.
x N7 117 x wrote:
Yea after 4 it wasn't as fun to keep them around though. They lost a lot of their interesting Dialogue and I just felt like not wanting them around.
Dont get me wrong, Reach and under I was tryin to keep them alive left and right.
iSethFPS wrote:
I spit out my coffee at this. Did you go to rehab for Halo 3: ODST? That is hilarious.
Don't read New Blood. It really hits home then.
x N7 117 x wrote:
Yea after 4 it wasn't as fun to keep them around though. They lost a lot of their interesting Dialogue and I just felt like not wanting them around.
Dont get me wrong, Reach and under I was tryin to keep them alive left and right.
Even in Halo 4 I still try to keep everyone alive, the Spartan's especially.
The goofy marine NPC dialogue in the original Halo games is vastly underrated.
I all ways try to keep marines/Grunts/fellow Elites alive butt i usually play co-op and my "friend" likes killing marines/Grunts/fellow Elites:(
I always loved having civilians with hardhats and pistols just running into battle with the chief. Just thinking if I were in that situation, the only time I would just grab a hand gun and run to fight aliens would be if there was a spartan there leading the charge. Otherwise to be honest I would probably just be hiding or trying to get away.