Halo 3 MM veterans will you...

OP WolfBlade Ronin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Amazing game. BTB had vehicles that could actually do stuff, even starts, ranked and social playlists, birth of theater, birth of forge with a cornucopia of sandbox weapons, items, one-and-done equipment and vehicles (warthogs and banshees that didnt fall apart after 30 seconds, and hornets too!), amazing customs, awesome interactive maps, epic campaign, and if you went a little further and played odst, a much more challenging firefight than reach offered.

Even if you like reach better, just give Halo 3 MM a try op. Like Halo 2's, its not going to last forever.
Balanced. Fair. Fun. No BS! Halo 3 over all of the Halos..... Except Halo CE. Halo CE holds a place in my heart.
Quote:
Quote:
I share some traits in common. I like to do well, I like to win, I like to have fun and so on. The sole reason I do not enter Team Throwdown or other similar types games, or even the forth coming so called Pro/Classic modes, is I am a random player, no friends list, no team. Is it that, perhaps, what it comes down to; having a team as opposed not having a team?
I started from Halo 3 and none of my friends played as much as I did at the time, so I end up searching alone like 97% of the time.

Halo 3 played very balanced than Reach/H4. Everyone started out fair, and the only way to win was just be the better player.

When you lose you know you lost in a fair fight. Not like "Damn, he/she was using Armor Lock", "Didn't see the Sniper because of Camo", or "Without the Jetpack, he/she couldn't have killed me".

EDIT:
In Halo 3 I was a tryhard wanting to get a 50. But I ended up at 43 holding a K/D of 1.3,
I played casually in Reach and held a K/D of 1.67,
Same thing with Halo 4, played casually and held a K/D of 1.77,
That should show something, Reach/H4 made the game easier to play.
I had essentially the exact same experience between all the games as you.

And yes, I also support the 'Reach/H4' made the game easier, you can just tell by how people on my friends list got better as well.
Quote:
Halo 3 had a good matchmaking system, but ZBNS Reach is better in almost every way gameplay-wise.

If you want to experience some "classic" Halo, I'd recommend the Anniversary or MLG playlists in Reach before anything in Halo 3. Just be warned that you'll be playing a lot of Sanctuary.
I started out on Reach...played about 13000 games and I was Yoink awful at it! No my told me or taught me about strafing, juking, map control, and all that other stuff until I stated Halo 4...things have changed a little since then :)
Quote:
You should play it and get a feel for it yourself. Like, its hard to describe it, but Halo 3 makes you think alittle more. Like when you encounter a warthog in Halo 3, you would get to cover instead of take a PP and EMp it in Halo 4 and toss plasma grenades. Vehicles were alot stronger. Vehicles played an important role in BTB, a chain gun warthog with a good driver and gunner could go unbelieveably far.

In Halo 3, there was a limited number of power weapons on a map and controlling these weapons along with the map meant victory.

Everyone would spawn with the same weapons and would have to pick up other weapons instead of getting weapons handed to them via ordiance drops or changing up their loadouts. It was an even playing field.

Players would pick up equipment and only use them when they really needed too.

Its really hard to describe a traditional Halo experience. I for one started with H2's campaign and H3's for multiplayer. Halo 3 is one of my alltime favorite multiplayer games to date. It wasn't perfect, but it was alot of fun.

Also I enjoyed/still enjoy Halo Reach Multiplayer.

You should play a couple of games of Halo 3 and see why people enjoy it.
Just got back from playing some Lone Wolf and Team Slayer in Ranked and a bit of social big team. My Gawd it is so different!

Many know me on this forum of kind of being a bot anti Halo 3...I'll be honest/straight up...the more I visit Halo 3, the more it is rowing on me.

I got a couple of killing sprees and two sword sprees in ranked LM.I was 4 times one kill of a frenzy...want that achievement, damn it.

BTW...I've heard so much about Halo 3 ranks...which is the rank? There are so many different experience this, skill that I don't know what is this legendary 1 to fifty I'm supposed to be looking at!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote]One thing for sure is that you will get much better at FPS games in general playing the older games instead of Halo 4.
Thanks!

I do intend playing Halo 3 MM at least once per week. I actually played Halo 3 last week!
I am willing to play Halo 3 (50 High) with you so you can experience how the ranking system works, and understand why people would want such a system.

If we are lucky we might get to play and lose against some known doubles guys.
I sincerely apologize! I just read your post. I was getting mesgs from some dude on Halo 3 and I had no idea who he.she was. I fell so horrible now! Again,I apologize!
Quote:
While you read what I have to say play this on the background.

Words cannot describe how great Halo 3 is. Yes I've played every Halo game since the series started back in 2001 but Halo 3 was the pinnacle of the series for me.

Sure you can still play Halo 3 now but it's not in it's former glory and the era where Halo 3 was the only Halo game on the 360. It was a time in the Halo series where raw skill of a player mattered and balance in gameplay rewarding those players who were good over random actions was important.

Everything from the magnificent simple menus with the amazing Halo music playing in the background that you could just stare at late into the night, to the warthog that was strong as steel and took a real spartan with skill to take down, and lets not forget the ranking system that left so many wanting more as they face opponents that didn't know what the word failure or lose meant.

You see, Halo 3 wasn't just a Halo game. It was the Halo game that defined and set the standard for what Halo in the future should have been like. Instead everything that once was balanced and about skill was replaced with watered down unsatisfying instant gratification and broken promises.

There are fools out there that would try and discredit what I say but their feeble actions cannot compare to the greatness of the truth and fact that the original Halo trilogy games were and still are the best. Nothing they say can sway me from what I have played and witnessed with my own hands and eyes over a decade of playing Halo. They wouldn't know since they have never played them in their truest form and have not lived through all these years of Halo. They simply missed the greatest era and truly the only real era of Halo games.

Halo 3 can teach you what it means to be a good player and when faced against extremely good opponents that there is no scapegoat like sprint or jetpack to save you. No, you must rely on your own skills of strafing, tactics, and ability to out shoot the opponent right then and there. If you fail to do so there is no get out of jail card. You will die if you fail to act right then and there. If you can conquer this masterpiece you will forever be a better Halo player that doesn't need AA's loadouts, or even cheap gimmicks to survive some of the more complicated situations many players in Reach and Halo 4 deem 'hard'. What they call hard I call it child's play.
Thank you for that! I enjoyed the video too!

To everyone: I am taking all the advice and comments on board!
Quote:
Amazing game. BTB had vehicles that could actually do stuff, even starts, ranked and social playlists, birth of theater, birth of forge with a cornucopia of sandbox weapons, items, one-and-done equipment and vehicles (warthogs and banshees that didnt fall apart after 30 seconds, and hornets too!), amazing customs, awesome interactive maps, epic campaign, and if you went a little further and played odst, a much more challenging firefight than reach offered.

Even if you like reach better, just give Halo 3 MM a try op. Like Halo 2's, its not going to last forever.
Been on tonight...it is so different but,I'm having fun...even though I feel lost on so many of the maps!
There was a certain... magic, to Halo 3's MM. To me, Halo 3's balance in both the Casual and the Competitive settings made it memorable. Sure it had its problems, but Halo 3's MM had soul to it. Yes, the BR was too dominant in the past, but at least I could actually walk across the maps and enjoy them!I can't do that anymore with the log-reach of the DMR! Without things like Personal Ordinance, the player's skill mattered more than what Ordinance Drop he/she got.

To me, that felt lost with Reach and Halo 4's MM. The balance is gone and with the introduction of the DMR, walking across a map is like suicide. DMR being the way it is, the Boltshot being OP, the fact that vehicles got considerably weaker thanks to PP/Plasma Grenade Spawn options and the DMR wrecking vehicles. I remember if a Warthog was charging toward my teammates, it was something to fear. It was something you scrambled to find power weapons and plasma grenades and plasma pistols for. Since Reach, the 'Hog has become a death trap. Everyone spawns with these anti-vehicle weapons and since the Warthogs are weaker by default... the magic of driving a Warthog across Sandbox and SandTrap is gone.

When I saw the gameplay of that live stream of the weapon updates yesterday, I did see a little bit of that Halo Trilogy magic. It's there, but it's mired in the BS that was brought in from CoD with no moderation. Personal Ordinance makes Power Weapons so common it's a shame.

I remember first playing Halo 3 MM when I got Xbox Live for the first time back in May of 2008. Halo 3's Big Team Battle were the best moments I've had in gaming. Especially since DLC maps were very common since if you wanted to play in these playlists, you had to have the DLC... and it worked! DLC maps popped up almost every time. Not like Reach and Halo 4, where they are a rare commodity. Power Weapons were rare and were on the map, not handed out to players like candy. If you wanted these tide-turning weapons, you had to fight for them - that's the Halo way.

Also, everyone played to win in Halo 3, so people communicated more and people had more fun. I played a game of BTB in Halo 4 yesterday and it was the first time I heard a whole team communicating... and we actually had fun. Still, we all agreed that night that the Halo 3-era was the good ol' days, and Halo 4 just doesn't even come close to capturing its glory.

Halo 3... those were the golden day, and that magic has yet to be recaptured.
Let's not forget the maps!

I agree that the Halo Trilogy's multiplayer was better balanced, but the maps were better than Reach or Halo 4 as well. You had distinct locations for callouts, you were rarely disoriented after spawning, and you had better variety.

Also, the weapon sandbox was better suited to the size of maps. The BR and Carbine weren't the cross-mapping death machines like the midrange weapons of Halo 4 or the TU BR from Reach. You could actually move freely while halfway across the map without getting killed by scoped DMRs.
Quote:
Quote:
You should play it and get a feel for it yourself. Like, its hard to describe it, but Halo 3 makes you think alittle more. Like when you encounter a warthog in Halo 3, you would get to cover instead of take a PP and EMp it in Halo 4 and toss plasma grenades. Vehicles were alot stronger. Vehicles played an important role in BTB, a chain gun warthog with a good driver and gunner could go unbelieveably far.

In Halo 3, there was a limited number of power weapons on a map and controlling these weapons along with the map meant victory.

Everyone would spawn with the same weapons and would have to pick up other weapons instead of getting weapons handed to them via ordiance drops or changing up their loadouts. It was an even playing field.

Its really hard to describe a traditional Halo experience. I for one started with H2's campaign and H3's for multiplayer. Halo 3 is one of my alltime favorite multiplayer games to date. It wasn't perfect, but it was alot of fun.

Just got back from playing some Lone Wolf and Team Slayer in Ranked and a bit of social big team. My Gawd it is so different!

Many know me on this forum of kind of being a bot anti Halo 3...I'll be honest/straight up...the more I visit Halo 3, the more it is rowing on me.

I got a couple of killing sprees and two sword sprees in ranked LM.I was 4 times one kill of a frenzy...want that achievement, damn it.

BTW...I've heard so much about Halo 3 ranks...which is the rank? There are so many different experience this, skill that I don't know what is this legendary 1 to fifty I'm supposed to be looking at!
You want that killing frenzy? grab a BR and don't let them get too close. Try and keep your enemy just outside the ARs red riticle range.

Your 1-50 is the number which appears next to your name in the pre and post game lobby. Also viewing your service record shows your highest skill.
The biggest difference between the two is that both teams start on a 100% even footing. Same weapons, equal map spawns (for the most part), equal chances to reach power weapons, and the knowledge of when the weapons would respawn and where so the map could be controlled. It was a superior ranked experience and a fun social.

Halo 4's infinity, loadout, ordinance, and weapon locations that change sometimes is well geared for a social setting. It is very fun in its own right, especially since you have a good chance of getting to use virtually any weapon you want.

The problem with halo 4 is that the balance of halo 3 is nonexistant. Luckily, if 343 listens, this is an easy fix for halo 5. Simply add a competitive playlist without loadouts, ordinance, possibly no sprint, and balanced maps. Everyone would have to start with an AR or BR and pick up weapons from there. That alone would make so many people happy because the current hybrid of social/competitive that we have now isn't keeping anyone happy. The randomness ruins it for competitive folk and the over-skilled tryhards ruin it for new and casual players
Got dragged on to MW2 earlier. Need a soul clensing Halobath. Gunna play me some Halo 3 right now.
Halo 3: In short, it was balanced and fair.

Ill first start with the small thing, the UI. It was plain simple and functional (not the best in the series that goes to reach) compared to halo 4's its awesome. Halo 4's is slow and clunky in my experience with unnecessary clutter.

Power weapons were not treated like candy in halo 3. They were actually rare too see. And controlling the power weapons meant you controlled the map. And contrary to popular belief if you actually knew what you were doing there was no power weapon spawn camping.

I would go even so far as too say the matches were %100 dictated by the two teams going at it and who was just plain better at playing. There was no random elements thrown in, there was no way the enemy team could get a random rocket or sniper and turn it back in there favor. Too get the rocket they actually had to either beat your team to it once it spawned or fight you for it at its spawn. The matches came down to what team knew the map better and could position themselves in the right places at the right times.

The game actually made you think and plan out you waneted too do. If you screwed up and were out of position it punished you for that screw up. There was no crutch for you to fall back on like sprint to get you out of there.

This little quote is spot on
Quote:
In short Halo 4 tries to give you awesome, in classic halo gameplay you EARN your awesome. It's simply more rewarding.
Nothing was ever handed to you, you earned what you got. And in that respect it was all down to skill.

And the game wasnt easy, I will put it in perspective. I actually tried in halo 3 I managed a 1.0kd easily. In halo reach I didnt care I screwed around managed a 1.16 kd, and when I actually played halo 4 and tried, when I just didnt run around doing nothing, I managed a 2.0. The newer games are easy, the skill gap has been reduced thanks to all the random elements that have been thrown in that you cannot predict and plan for.

Halo 3 is from an era of gaming when games didnt hold your hand and try to constantly reassure you what you are doing is right. That is what made it good, it wasnt an easy game. It was a fair and balanced game for both teams as soon as the match started. The way the match progressed was dependent on yours and your teams decision and actions. And as it progressed if the teams were equally skilled, it could go either way. There was very little random luck thrown in that could turn the tide of the match.
Quote:
Quote:
Halo 3 had a good matchmaking system, but ZBNS Reach is better in almost every way gameplay-wise.

If you want to experience some "classic" Halo, I'd recommend the Anniversary or MLG playlists in Reach before anything in Halo 3. Just be warned that you'll be playing a lot of Sanctuary.
I started out on Reach...played about 13000 games and I was Yoink awful at it! No my told me or taught me about strafing, juking, map control, and all that other stuff until I stated Halo 4...things have changed a little since then :)
If you think you can hold your own in the MLG playlist, go for it. I don't know how much ZB, or even TU games you have put in. But it is really a completely different experience. And it would be an easier transition for you since you are more familiar with Reach.

Be warned, the strafe was awful in Reach, regardless of movement speed.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You want that killing frenzy? grab a BR and don't let them get too close. Try and keep your enemy just outside the ARs red riticle range.

Your 1-50 is the number which appears next to your name in the pre and post game lobby. Also viewing your service record shows your highest skill.
Thanks for that!

I will take on your tips!

So, I got to a 10 in Lone Wolfs and 9 in Team Slayer...forget what the other three were. Is there a place to check Halo 3 stats liek we can for Halo 4/Reach?
Quote:
So, I got to a 10 in Lone Wolfs and 9 in Team Slayer...forget what the other three were. Is there a place to check Halo 3 stats liek we can for Halo 4/Reach?
Pretty sure there are no sites updating Halo 3 stats anymore. My old stats seem frozen now.
Halo 3 was the Halo were i cut my match-making teeth.

I agree with all of the posts above, that the game was balanced and much less of a cluster -Yoink-. Of course you would get such moments such as a fight at the main grav lift on guardian but that even in itself was a lot of fun.

Halo 4 has me quitting a lot more games purely down to the fact you can be as competitive and tactical as you want but it rarely makes any headway against a couple of 10 year olds with rocket launchers.
I loved Halo 3, it's an amazing game, you don't need to rely on AA's, you need to rely on your skill, I can go into Halo 3 after not playing it for a while and get a killing frenzy while in Halo 4 there's a lot of BS to worry about, Halo 3 is a gem and worth playing, not to say i hate Halo 4, I love that game as much as 3
Halo CE offline
Halo 2 offline
Halo 3 >14,000 MM games
Halo Reach >3,000 MM games
Halo 4 maybe 500 MM games

I was such a nub at the start of Halo 3. First proper online gaming experience. I never used the BR and played drunk a lot. Connection was never good for me in the game playing out of Australia. Even when I did improve, having yellow bar in most games made it very hard. Did make it to 48 in Lone Wolves but then you've got some awesome players at that level and I was very average in my bad games. Map and weapon control really matters in H3.

BTB on Standoff was the best - CTF, Team Slayer, 1 bomb, Neutral Bomb, Territories. Warthog and Laser control were what this map was about. Having 7 team mates who knew what they were doing was awesome. Best game I ever played was a MCTF match on Standoff with 2 clutch flag caps in the last 2 minutes of a 15 minute match. A proper tug of war.

Halo Reach was ok but I went back a lot to Halo 3 during the life of the game and then drifted to COD. Power weapons were ridiculous in HR - the splash damage of the Rockets was ridiculous. The DMR and the Needle Rifle were good weapons when used right. The addition of Sprint changed GP dynamics too much as it allowed people to avoid situations too much - I abused it often when near death to save myself a lot.

H4 is something I am getting back into as I've become ultimately bored of COD. Some good elements in H4 and it will be interesting to have a 4 shot BR back. Ordinance stops power weapon control to the detriment of the game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4