Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Halo 3 ODST secret glyphs

OP locustki11er01

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Ever since I saw the video by RocketSloth, I've been intrigued by the mystery of the glyphs in ODST. I've started my own investigation into them and would love any help I can get. I'm making this thread for people to discuss their thoughts and findings on this. Hopefully we will uncover the full mystery at some point but until then, all we can do is dig some more.
Ever since I saw the video by RocketSloth, I've been intrigued by the mystery of the glyphs in ODST. I've started my own investigation into them and would love any help I can get. I'm making this thread for people to discuss their thoughts and findings on this. Hopefully we will uncover the full mystery at some point but until then, all we can do is dig some more.
You mean those who you can only see with night vision ?
It's how engineers secretly communicate, no other covenant can see it.
You mean those who you can only see with night vision ?
It's how engineers secretly communicate, no other covenant can see it.
Yeah, we know that much, but we also k ow theres a lot more to it than that. Its been confirmed by Joe Staten and Marty O'Donnell that there is still an uncovered secret with them.
The first thing that came to my mind was maybe they're some type of cypher. They are reminiscent of the Pig Pen cypher, but the Y shape would only really allow for a 12 letter alphabet (each Y "pointing" in a different direction). Although there could be additional letters because of the different symbols used. It could be nothing, but I thought it would be worth noting. Does anyone have a link to the full catalogue of glyphs that we know of in ODST?
This all seems very complicated for a small group of game designers who were probably occupied with other work at the time of making the puzzle. My point is this, we should try to solve it in every simple way possible before deciding that it would be a crazy hard to break cypher or a hidden code within binary. For instance, what came to mind as I looked at the symbols was the slits in the little circles for type A and type B. Generally when things have slits in them the first thing that comes to mind is a jigsaw puzzle of sorts; perhaps we could match the symbols together to form a more understandable language.

Secondly the New Mombasa Uplift banner is very similar to the symbols. ( http://www.gruntspajamas.com/gallery/v/SGP/companies/MombasaUplift/SL-Apollo+Doom-2009_10_06-upliftlogo.jpg.html ) I think we have all already come to the conclusion that the Superintendent has something to do with the puzzle, as well as ONI. I think this "Uplift" company may also have something to do with it.

I will be updating this thread on my findings as I look into this puzzle. As I see it right now, if the symbols are a language of sorts it can probably be derived by comparing them to ancient hieroglyphics. If the symbols are an elaborate jigsaw puzzle or maze, we simply need to connect the right pieces in the right order. I think it would be useful to spread the word out about this puzzle and really try to get all of your friends in on it.

Finally, we don't know how far the secret stretches backward or what it is actually about. I know some people have connected references in Reach to this puzzle. I think it would be wise to play through the halo games in search of similar symbols or story hints.

GL, and good hunting

J.
I’m always looking for people to get our boots on the ground and dive into this investigation. It’s really intriguing and the fact that very few people in Bungie working on Halo 3: ODST even knew about it is absolutely enticing. For some reason the first thing I though of when I saw those weird braille signs was that the empty spaces are the bits we should pay attention to, not the dots themselves. I do not know this for certain.
I am always down to be boots on the ground. I have done some.work identifying the glyphs and they appear to be located around the mission starts and as what was stated earlier the small team involved my guess is that it requires 4 people total to unlock with 3 people standing on areas across the map and 1 at the replica of dare's crash site for the door to unlock or something.

If anyone is down for a go just let me know.
I saw rocketsloth's vid last night and while looking for audio logs on normal I found the triple intendent glyph in the plaza without wall clipping I think it's being invisible is more of a game glitch than an easter egg. But i also found that on data hive if you get close to the display monitors they change to intendents showing exspresions one expresion type is the sad intendent like the sad glype, and I wonder if any of the glyphes match symbols or emblems in New Mombasa and the loading screen like the drop pod.
I saw something odd about the j sign that the lower left corner has a bevel like old punch cards for early computers since everyone else had tried braile i considered that they could be using old coding methods like punchcards and 5 hole tape. Punchcards were given bevels to tell if they were upsidedown or backwards when inserted in the computer and had only two holes punched out per bit of information out of eleven space where holes could be punched out as coding. But 5 hole tape had 5 spaces to punch holes in patterns like binary "hole and nonhole from 35 possible combinations so they had one combination tell if they switched from letters to numbers and punctuation marks. And both can be read if you turn them side ways to read each row as a bit of information you read from top to bottom. granted this would only leave 16 combinations with the j sign since they would have 4 spots per row. But they would only need 36 combonations to do each letter and number if they used one or two to switch from one group of letters or numbers to another that leaves 30 or 42 combonations and they could rule out certain letters to shrink to only what they needed. Using this method of deciphering each sign would have 28 blocks or bits and I found three different sign patterns so far, so that could be 84 bits of code enough for a phrase or sentance
I like all of your thinking! We will not know what the correct answer is until we have exhausted all of our options. Then, in the case in which all of the probable options are wrong, only the improbable solutions are left. We will find this answer as long as we are meticulous and relentless :)

J.
Discovered sometthing new about the signs having them sideways to have those 28 rows of 4 that each of them have. While oriented the same way most of the rows on 2 or all 3 signs have matching patterns. When counting the odd ones that don't match and also when all 3 are different patterns it totals 30 out of the 84. It leaves me with four ideas. 1 it's a coincidence. 2 they were lazy and just changed a few parts of the patterns from a base design. 3 the patterns have a system to be three parts of a code or message. 4 it's a 30 piece code with the 84 as an extra layer of encryption to solve before getting the real code. The first two imply theirs nothing and we're making it all up. The last two suggest their is something and it's a matter of time before someone figures it all out. The first 1 can also suggest there is a pattern but i'm using the wrong method to decipher it.
I think the triple intendent and number 4 being invisible in sinking plaza is definitely a glitch i went there they were missing but i go to a neighboring sector then came back quote unquote load the area back in and it shows them both so, I think the wall clipping sloth and his friend did to get them to appear might have triggered an area reload
there may still be more glyphs, somebody needs to compile a library of all of the different ODST glyphs. so we can browse through them all and make sure somebody else hasn't found them, or see if you have a different opinion about what it means. maybe like a fandom page or something.
Did someone ever pay attention to sounds or music near the Glyphs?
Back in Halo 3 for example, to get the IWHBYD-Skull you had to jump through the 7 rings (were every ring had a another note) to play the last 7 Notes of the Halo-Theme.
Maybe there are some hints in the Audio.

Also remember, that some of the Elite sounds were just files from Sgt. Johnson played backwards.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Yo creo k muy posible porqué la verdad lo que has dicho me parece muy razonable y halo siempre a destacado también por sus soundtrack
I just know the TS Eliot poem has to be a major hint with how much it appears around these glyphs like the backwards audio in the stone pillars and with Marty's land of cactus tweet.
Leticro wrote:
I just know the TS Eliot poem has to be a major hint with how much it appears around these glyphs like the backwards audio in the stone pillars and with Marty's land of cactus tweet.
I think i need to revisit Halo 3 ODST the next days.
I've read "The Hollow Men" up and down the last days and can't sleep because of this.
It's driving me crazy that no one have solved this in al these years.
I have seen RocketSloth get triple superintendent in sunken plaza, and seen the glyph changing on yt of the channel Termacious Trickocity and have tried it on a 360 through room clipping in sector 4, got triple superintendent, then after follow a pattern related to T.S. Elliot Poem in those elites killed, to find them going the door of Sunken plaza to sector 6, then going left until see a light flare, then ahead a corpse of elites, then turning around, looking up until see a star shape in the skyscraper and returned to the sunken plaza following Terminacious Trickocity path, he got after that double superintendent, but I have got just a single superintendent in first round. Trickocity got it in two rounds. Can it explain something like a countdown? Or a state like in sunken clean wall means 0, triple superintendent meaning 1, double superintendent meaning 2, and single superintendent meaning 3, maybe have to keep holding one state, doing a set of actions and trigger another state and so on.. Could be nice to see how gliphs relate to that set of paths/actions required, I have seen too the Despawn district 8 secret courtyard doors related to squidhenge, in the yt channel OriginalChaosEpoch and trigger it too, but if I mix sector 4 superintendent and then activate courtyard doors following pattern in sector 6, when I fully do one, the other is reset.

Cheers from Mexico guys.
Ok, I'll check it out but it sounds familiar.
Remember....the past ones....the ones before
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2