I originally posted this subject on Bungie's site because I assumed they were in control of the Recon unlock but was redirected here. I have earned Recon before on a previous GT but it's no longer there. I would like to earn it again as I'm almost done with Halo 3 and plan to buy ODST again. I don't need a handout, just a chance to unlock it once again. So with that being said, can I earnz Recon?
I know you used to be able to get it by unlocking all the Vidmaster achievements, but I am not sure if that still works. I know Bungie gave it out to everyone but you had to get it before a certain date.
tuhin94 wrote:
I know you used to be able to get it by unlocking all the Vidmaster achievements, but I am not sure if that still works. I know Bungie gave it out to everyone but you had to get it before a certain date.
Unfortunately nobody can get it now. I think it was 343's decision to give the armour to everyone, not entirely sure though.
fizzy14 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Unfortunately nobody can get it now. I think it was 343's decision to give the armour to everyone, not entirely sure though.
Quote:
On March 31, 2012 Bungie.net transferred all Halo 3 and Halo: Reach record-keeping to Halo Waypoint. As part of the transition Recon armor was unlocked by default for all online Halo 3 profiles.
It sounds like any profile that was online during the time should have access to Recon, it may also be applicable to anyone accessing Halo 3 online even now (I wouldn't be able to check as I already have it unlocked). It is very possible that completing the Vidmaster achievement will still unlock it.

I should put the game in so I can run around for a bit and have a little nostalgia moment with my Recon pretending while my head's alight with blue flame.
It's not possible to unlock Recon anymore. 343 did do a few rounds of unlocks back in 2013 / 2014, but the tech to do so has since been decommissioned so it's no longer possible to unlock. This includes unlocking via Vidmasters
stckrboy wrote:
It's not possible to unlock Recon anymore. 343 did do a few rounds of unlocks back in 2013 / 2014, but the tech to do so has since been decommissioned so it's no longer possible to unlock. This includes unlocking via Vidmasters
It shouldn't be that hard...seeing it's Xbox One X enhanced I see no reason why they couldn't make it obtainable anymore. People who didn't put in the work got it. Which is fine, I just want to be able to unlock it via Vidmasters again. I still don't know why it disappeared on my old GT.
The Backwards Compatibility team over at Xbox work on the enhancements not 343, this is done without actually touching the underlying code. It's all done via the emulation software they designed. Recon is a server-side unlock and tech needed to unlock it has been decommissioned, it's not available anymore.