Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Halo 4 could've been like Halo 3

OP WhiteDragon2880

Quote: "It's during that time you're questioning yourself: 'How is this going to work, will it be as I envision it in my head?" says Holmes. For Halo 4, he says there were a few epiphany moments that helped boost the morale of the team. One of the earlier ones that Holmes recalls was when the team completed a small piece of the Halo experience that he described as a "very traditional" Halo. User research showed that people thought it was a lot of fun, and it showed that the team was capable of making a Halo game that was true to what the series was about.
343 scrapped it, Holmes says, as it was too traditional. But that first build showed the new team that this amalgamation of different studio cultures could work together and achieve a common goal.
A year later, 343 had finished the first mission for Halo 4. Later, the team injected the new enemy, the Prometheans, into the encounter space, displaying their new AI behaviors, representing a culmination of a year-and-a-half of iteration. Even later, online multiplayer was in place -- members of the team could play the game against each other from their homes. It was another morale booster, a tangible signifier that things were coming together.
But when I asked Holmes, Wolfkill and O'Connor what the moment was, when that enormous, collective sigh of relief occurred, all of them had the same answer. I had interviewed Wolfkill and O'Connor in person, together. When they replied, they looked at each other and replied simultaneously, "E3."
"At E3, at a purely production level, was the first time we were able to express our intent with what the experience was going to be, and have an entire segment of the team delivering on the experience as opposed to delivering on their pieces of the puzzle," says Wolfkill.
"On an emotional level, it was the first time we showed anything publicly, so it was sort of a validation of all the things we wanted to do, and the team really needed that at that point in the cycle."
At E3, Halo 4 was at last in the hands and in front of the eyes of a large audience, in front of press and in front of fans. Reaction was positive, and Bungie staff at E3 were able to relay the feedback back to the team in Kirkland.
Holmes concurred that E3 was the prime epiphany moment. "You have an idea for this experience, but you're not exactly sure how people are going to react to it. Yes, you're doing user research testing, you're having groups of people come in and play, you're analyzing the results, but those are really just small slices of people at different moments in time.
Link N/A
Halo 3 can never be duplicated. Maybe the same game. But our world can't be the same. And we made halo 3 great
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
st0rmr0ad wrote:
It won't happen because Bungie doesn't want to work on Halo anymore. They left Microsoft because they wanted to make games other than Halo. In fact, they wanted to be finished with Halo after they made Halo 3. Even if they were somehow forced into developing Halo games again they wouldn't be any good because, again, they don't want to.

343 isn't the first game to be "ruined" by a title changing hands, and whether or not the game has been "ruined" is subjective. The community as a whole does not have a collective, universal opinion on the subject. Some like you don't like 343's take on Halo, others like it more than classic Halo, and of course, a lot of us are neutral in some way.

People talk about having a new company replace 343 because of how "bad" they've made Halo, but what good would that really do? Bungie is already off the table, and if 343 is replaced by a new team things aren't going to magically change for the better just because of that. The new company, no matter who makes it up, will inevitably make some decisions that people will not like. It's just impossible to satisfy everyone.
I think halo 4 could've been better recieved if it had an arena, complete with a ranking system, no loadout weapons, and no armor abilities. It would also have a social playlist that's like the halo 4 we have now. If they weren't going to include sprint that would've had to have been decided on before they made the maps and campaign. I think this would've slowed down the population drop off and allowed for a more well recieved multiplayer. The campaign was not that good, I liked the story but the gameplay was just meh. If they improved the campaign to halo 3's level in terms of gameplay while keeping the story it would have been one of the best halo campaigns. If they did all that I think we would've had a more popular halo 4 that was liked by the community.
st0rmr0ad wrote:
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
You have addded nothing except that you don't like 343i.

I really enjoyed Halo 4; in fact, more than any other Halo. Great story, multiplayer was fun with customization, and overall a promising start to a new Halo story. Then Halo 5 ruined the story of Halo 4 and changed the multiplayer to be too competitive. Halo 5 has awsome gameplay and visuals, but the BR is over powered. Too much of it is based off of reaction time.

I am am currently playing Halo 3 multiplayer, which is hard but surprisingly fun. I can see why so many people liked Halo 3 at the time with all the hype, but Halo 4 is far from a bad game. Halo 4 has a special place for me because: it was my first Xbox Live game and even before I got Live, I played the campaign to death.
st0rmr0ad wrote:
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show

I really enjoyed Halo 4; in fact, more than any other Halo. Great story, multiplayer was fun with customization, and overall a promising start to a new Halo story. Then Halo 5 ruined the story of Halo 4 and changed the multiplayer to be too competitive. Halo 5 has awsome gameplay and visuals, but the BR is over powered. Too much of it is based off of reaction time.

I am am currently playing Halo 3 multiplayer, which is hard but surprisingly fun. I can see why so many people liked Halo 3 at the time with all the hype, but Halo 4 is far from a bad game. Halo 4 has a special place for me because: it was my first Xbox Live game and even before I got Live, I played the campaign to death.
I have enjoyed all Halo FPS games. I agree that Halo 4 MM was a lot of fun. I wish it would have stuck a little more with the core Halo community. It's MM got so much hate, which caused 343 to overcompensate with Halo 5 to make it overly competitive.
J Teeps wrote:
st0rmr0ad wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

I have enjoyed all Halo FPS games. I agree that Halo 4 MM was a lot of fun. I wish it would have stuck a little more with the core Halo community. It's MM got so much hate, which caused 343 to overcompensate with Halo 5 to make it overly competitive.
I agree with you and shepard. These are things that I've been saying for a while now; Halo 4 getting more hate than warranted, and 343 doing a complete 180 with Halo 5 in response to that hate, and consequently making a game where casual fun has to be left at the door. Right now I can't help but imagine where Halo 6 will go, given the circumstances. I wonder which direction they'll go in: Will they try to cater to regular players and tone it back? Or will they go further into eSports?

I believe that focusing more on eSports and competitive play would be a mistake on 343's part, and that it was a mistake for them to do that in the first place with Halo 5. Yeah, people didn't like the absence of ranked, competitive game modes in Halo 4, that's understandable. But to build the game from the ground up to be an eSports game was unnecessary. Halo 2 and 3 had competitive scenes, but Bungie never designed their games with the competitive crowd in mind. Instead, Bungie let them tweak the settings how they see fit in custom games, then implemented the custom game that the MLG crowd created as its own playlist. Even before that, there were ranked and social playlists. Everyone was satisfied with this. By catering specifically to the competitive crowd, 343 pretty much alienated casual Halo players. Sure they've added social playlists, but that doesn't really count for much when it was implemented so late in the game and, since Halo 5 was designed for competitive play, doesn't feel casual. It's more of a practice and K/D padding playlist than anything.
st0rmr0ad wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
Bungie is not coming back any time soon dude sorry
Halo 3 can never be duplicated. Maybe the same game. But our world can't be the same. And we made halo 3 great
Agreed
st0rmr0ad wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
Even if Bungie did return, how anyone could trust them with Halo after the disaster of Destiny is beyond me.
I'm almost 100% sure the Halo 3 hype is almost entirely nostalgia based. Halo 4's campaign is fantastic
I'm almost 100% sure the Halo 3 hype is almost entirely nostalgia based. Halo 4's campaign is fantastic
Except you're 100% incorrect. You make the mistake of assuming everyone is on board with your opinion. Halo 4's campaign isn't that great. I love Halo 3 because the missions are genuinely fun to play. Whether or not it is fun has little to do with nostalgia.