OP MuscledRMH

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Quote:
I resent the opinion that MLG "made" Halo. Halo: CE made itself, it got where it was because of bungie, not some "competitive" circle jerk.

Watching those people is just depressing. They're locked to their screens just brimming with rage, then something happens that damages their fragile psyche and they just go off like the other team had killed his mother.
I agree with you Halo is what made Halo so big the awesome game-play and the amazing story that brought us all to CE to 2 for the balanced and exciting Multiplayer and on to 3 and 4.
Quote:
Sorry for the lengthy post, but you just can't cut short how MLG sabotated Halo, imo.
Here's the short version, though:
MLG is bad for Halo, because they refuse to accept evolution, because that would mean they had to learn things anew, which would make them look like nubies.
You can't seriously think that MLG pros resist change because they're afraid that they wouldn't be able to adapt and would look bad. They're the most talented gamers in their respective genres. They would adapt better than the rest of us, and kick the crap out of everyone else just fine once again.

Quote:
This last paragraph is so dead on. The presence of a truly competitive community engenders better game design that we all benefit from. Period.
No, I don't think MLG can adapt to new gameplay better than anyone else.
I guess everyone agrees there are certainly above-average H4 players out there.
And yet, Walshy got owned in H4 by randoms. There are still ways to be better at the game than others, but guys like Walshy couldn't adapt fast enough. So they quit.

Also, MLG generaaly doesn't improve on flawed things like people here in the forums try to. Whatever they seem unfitting, they just take out of their gametypes.
Quote:
And here I was hoping MLG left the Halo franchise forever. I hate MLG with a passion. They destroy every game they ever touched and vomit filth propaganda as if their way of thinking is the way games should be played.

MLG is one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry.
And here I was hoping Grifball left the Halo franchise forever. I hate Grifball with a passion. They destroy every Halo game they ever touch and vomit filth propaganda as if their way of thinking is the way games should be played.

Grifball is one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry.

See, I can make terrible, non-constructive posts as well.

BADMAGIK, I will give you 1600 Microsoft Points if you can find an article, interview, video, or any other non-hearsay evidence where a spokesman or any other person of ADMINISTRATIVE authority over at MLG ever put anyone else down because of the games they like to play or the type of game they like to play.

And don't get mad at me. I'm asking you to do something known as "offering supportive evidence." It is crucial to rhetoric and separates facts (what I want you to find) from unfounded opinions (what you provided).

In the words of a great comedian...

Don't worry, I'll wait.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And here I was hoping MLG left the Halo franchise forever. I hate MLG with a passion. They destroy every game they ever touched and vomit filth propaganda as if their way of thinking is the way games should be played.

Generally speaking, if it's good for MLG it's good for the overall gaming community as a whole. If a game is balanced enough for MLG to consider it competitive, it's going to play fairly and enjoyably for casuals too.

Quote:
Quote:
MLG made Halo, the old Halo really competitive and I hope MLG makes the population grow
What is with this forum and the obsession with population?

It doesn't matter how great a Halo game is from now on. Gamers today are more diverse and there are tons of triple A titles now a days. The days of Halo being the only game people played are over and the kids who dream about the past really need to wake up.
I mean, if Halo and CoD:BO were reversed on the population charts, it'd undoubtedly be a better thing for the Halo universe as a whole.
I would agree, except that I am SOO glad for the future of Halo because the garbage population for this game has shown them that all the Yoink! they added to Halo has been completely reviled. It gives me hope, assuming they actually listen to the community, that they do a 110% backtrack and actually gives Halo 5 a chance of being the Halo game that we want and need.
The 1% that sits on the forums all day is NOT the majority.
The majority left already... Please support your arguments (first off, form one)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Generally speaking, if it's good for MLG it's good for the overall gaming community as a whole. If a game is balanced enough for MLG to consider it competitive, it's going to play fairly and enjoyably for casuals too.

Quote:
Quote:
MLG made Halo, the old Halo really competitive and I hope MLG makes the population grow

It doesn't matter how great a Halo game is from now on. Gamers today are more diverse and there are tons of triple A titles now a days. The days of Halo being the only game people played are over and the kids who dream about the past really need to wake up.
I mean, if Halo and CoD:BO were reversed on the population charts, it'd undoubtedly be a better thing for the Halo universe as a whole.
I would agree, except that I am SOO glad for the future of Halo because the garbage population for this game has shown them that all the Yoink! they added to Halo has been completely reviled. It gives me hope, assuming they actually listen to the community, that they do a 110% backtrack and actually gives Halo 5 a chance of being the Halo game that we want and need.
The majority left already... Please support your arguments (first off, form one)
So where did they go? None of the other Halo games, which said majority claim are still better than Halo 4, have seen a massive population spike on par with the number of people that left.

You honestly think they are all moved to Call of Duty? The shooter that they played Halo to avoid? Of course, since MLG picked up CoD, they might have.

After all, MLG merely hosting the game 'makes it competitive, and populations grow', right?
Quote:
I resent the opinion that MLG "made" Halo. Halo: CE made itself, it got where it was because of bungie, not some "competitive" circle jerk.

Watching those people is just depressing. They're locked to their screens just brimming with rage, then something happens that damages their fragile psyche and they just go off like the other team had killed his mother.
You're kidding yourself if you think the normal Halo community doesn't have kids just like that. In fact, I know more kids outside MLG and montage communities that rage than I do within. Every community has kids like that, the only difference is that there's a group that identifies themselves as MLG players. The average Halo players don't identify themselves as a part of any group, and so no negative attention is drawn towards them. All of the flaming and horrible things people say is just that; something they said. It doesn't represent the organization just the ways the Westboro Baptist Church doesn't represent Christianty, or how the beliefs of the founder of Chik Fil A don't represent the beliefs of everyone that works there. Don't be such a pig-headed idiot.

Is it true that MLG had a lot of trashtalk in the early days? Yea, but could you name any other company that organized events for a target audience of kids and young adults that wouldn't have that? Since then, they've cleaned up huge amounts and the company's incredibly professional.

Do you know the good they've done? They pioneered major e-sports tournaments in the US. They brought the attention of major companies such as Dr Pepper, Hot Pockets, Bic Pens, Old Spice, and others to the video game and professional gaming industry. What did Microsoft do? They tossed the company away in favor of Virgin, who have done one tournament, if it can even be called that. Since then? Barely anything.

Please be logical, instead of the typical anti-MLG witch hunt you get on these forums.
Quote:
[quote][quote] That means that 7.5% of the original high are playing the game now and the other 92.5% didn't like Halo 4.
Evidence/facts would be nice, not your assumptions!
Nothing like a meaningless Tweet to get the old guard going all hyper over a nothing gaming league that dies not represent the playing population of Halo reach (formerly) or Halo 4 (presently).
Quote:
you mean halo made mlg famous because halo 2 was such a competitive game
Quote:
Quote:

Please be logical, instead of the typical anti-MLG witch hunt you get on these forums.
I think you should aim that comment at someone else, I'm not the one saying MLG is the worst thing to happen to gaming. I'm only pointing out that the games success is not due to this petty organization that usually prides itself on their elitist attitudes, but instead on the dedication and hard work of the good people at bungie.

and just as well, I thought it would be called major league for a reason. Wouldn't that imply they're professional? Professionals shouldn't act like a bunch of children who don't get their way.

"Please be logical," I don't care where MLG puts itself and I don't care what it's done or will do. Shove it and be constructive, you said nothing important. The point was not about the state of their players, you reacted to that like they do, but about the popularity of Halo:CE. Yet again, I am dissuaded from even coming here.
People don't seem to realize how popular MLG and competitive gaming really is and it makes me laugh.

"OMG, the competitive community are totally the minority!" You sure about that? I suppose that's why hundreds of thousands watch the competitive scene, is it?

Halo did a lot for MLG and vice versa. If a game catches the attention of gamers on MLG, they'll play it. Halo already did that years ago, but Reach and H4 ruined it for everyone.

More people would be playing right now if:

1.) the game played like an actual Halo title and not a CoD/Battlefield wannabe.

2.) if it were on the MLG circuit.
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][quote] That means that 7.5% of the original high are playing the game now and the other 92.5% didn't like Halo 4.
I think he's basing his numbers off of the statistics of those who left and those who remain.

30,000 (remaining peak population) is 6.25% of 480,000 (rough amount of highest peak population).

Theoretically, he's saying 93.75% of the players didn't like the game, and while that likely isn't entirely true it is certainly a fair point. Clearly there wasn't enough incentive to keep players playing, and other games offered better or more true experiences than Halo 4 did.

Had Halo 4 been a better game, it might have retained more population than it did.

He's got the right statistics (roughly) but of course that doesn't account for everything and everyone. It does however give us a rough estimate to base things off of, and is certainly a fair point.

So yeah, decent facts there actually. Of course it doesn't account for every single player however, but you get the point (I hope).
This thread is a joke, MLG didn't pick up halo 4 on the circuit, all they did was update the settings from v3 to v4. Even worse a bunch of kids who know nothing at all about the competitive scene are getting mad for no reason just because they apparently don't like MLG tryhards? Pathetic. For all you misinformed people MLG is the leading competitive gaming scene for console. How can it possibly hurt the game? All MLG does is host tournaments with specific competitive settings. Halo 4 is the least competitive game in the franchise and was drooped off the circuit.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think you should aim that comment at someone else, I'm not the one saying MLG is the worst thing to happen to gaming. I'm only pointing out that the games success is not due to this petty organization that usually prides itself on their elitist attitudes, but instead on the dedication and hard work of the good people at bungie.

and just as well, I thought it would be called major league for a reason. Wouldn't that imply they're professional? Professionals shouldn't act like a bunch of children who don't get their way.

"Please be logical," I don't care where MLG puts itself and I don't care what it's done or will do. Shove it and be constructive, you said nothing important. The point was not about the state of their players, you reacted to that like they do, but about the popularity of Halo:CE. Yet again, I am dissuaded from even coming here.
Yea man, because professional players in other sports act totally well-behaved. They don't do obvious drugs, trash-talk, or ever get in fights, right? Those sports have had 50-100+ years to work on their rules and regulations and MLG has had 10 tops, and it has only been in the spotlight since 2006. Ignoring how they've changed since then it's ridiculous, companies and corporations change, viewing them in the same state of revulsion as in the past is stubborn and idiotic. Sony was awful at the launch of PS3, but now they're the favorite in the console industry. People and organizations change, best to move on and stop nurturing a hatred for a group based on mean words or actions.

I wasn't disagreeing with the games success coming from Bungie, but it's ignorant to say they didn't feed off each other. Bungie made a fantastic game for a time, and MLG brought in sponsors, attention, hell they even got it on TV for a tournament a few times courtesy of Spike.

How was I not being constructive? I defended a community which has done no more than any other community to earn the ire it attracts on these forums, the community that this whole thread is about. You say MLG here and people spit venom at you, thanks to bias against a group that happens to unify under one name.

You know what? Every community becomes rotten, it's not just MLG contributing to Halo's pisspoor community. Look at the three most popular games with competitive communities: Dota 2, League of Legends, and Starcraft II. There's no specific organizations these groups unify under like in MLG. There are tournaments, but no organizations. No group calls themselves "the GSL'ers, the OGN'ers, the Defense'ers, or the Riot'ers". They are simply other members of the community, who play professionally. Anyone in the game can be poisonous, as shown by the communities of Dota2 and LoL, which are downright awful, filled with quitters, ragers, racists, and everything else you can think of. Starcraft II also has its fair share of these. The only reason it's taken this long for the Halo community to become this bad is because of the slow population growth. If Halo grew anywhere near as fast as those three games, the community would be just as bad, regardless of MLG. Any competitive game will attract players both good and bad and blaming MLG for the state of Halo as it is today is silly, they're simply one branch of the many custom games groups that emerged from past Halo's.

You wonder why you come here anymore? I wonder why I bother responding to people. I visit the forums and make maybe my 10th post here, after seeing a thread created by a kid who's obviously excited and trying to share his excitement. The other thread the same kid made is a post trying to repopulate H4, helping the community. What do I see? People like you spewing hatred at the community and what it has supposedly done to said community. The statements are filled with generalizations, mostly because people don't ever forget in this community. I'm done, and gladly won't come back here. Don't bother, I know I won't be missed here.

On a side note, tryhard is such a stupid insult. The point of the game is to win is it not? If a person uses all the tools available to him/her, he or she gets made fun of by the community. What do people expect him to do? Leave a good weapon/ability on the ground and let them win? Christ.
Big whoop, having LAN tournaments where there is no lag, but matchmaking where lag is in abundance, well doesn't seem to represent the game well...
Quote:
I'm only pointing out that the games success is not due to this petty organization that usually prides itself on their elitist attitudes
No, really, his post was directed at you.

Quote:
-snip-
You will be missed, but -Yoink- happens I guess.
Quote:
Quote:
what, do you think i just pulled a random number from my -Yoink-?! Halocharts.com - over 400,000 logged the first day Halo came out and exactly a month later in december it went down to 112000. Now it is holding at 30000. Then I just used my maths to calculate the percentage drop and the remaining percentage is .... drum roll .... 7.5%!

Tada! You ASSUMED I assumed.
MLG is great for the game. It gives a lot of gamers an incentive to play it. I've never really got into MLG myself but I support the competitive community and enjoy watching their tournaments.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

So where did they go? None of the other Halo games, which said majority claim are still better than Halo 4, have seen a massive population spike on par with the number of people that left.

You honestly think they are all moved to Call of Duty? The shooter that they played Halo to avoid? Of course, since MLG picked up CoD, they might have.

After all, MLG merely hosting the game 'makes it competitive, and populations grow', right?
funny you should say that because I checked earlier and -

Halo 4 population: 31000

Halo Reach population: 27,000

I was playing Reach with my friends and loving it.

Also it is wrong to assume that just because 370000 people stopped playing 4 means that they are going to just flock to older Halo games. I think it speaks worlds that a 3.5 year old Halo game is close to the population of a 8month old Halo game, and thats not including H3.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4