6. 4
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And here I was hoping MLG left the Halo franchise forever. I hate MLG with a passion. They destroy every game they ever touched and vomit filth propaganda as if their way of thinking is the way games should be played.

MLG is one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry.
Generally speaking, if it's good for MLG it's good for the overall gaming community as a whole. If a game is balanced enough for MLG to consider it competitive, it's going to play fairly and enjoyably for casuals too.

Quote:
Quote:
MLG made Halo, the old Halo really competitive and I hope MLG makes the population grow
What is with this forum and the obsession with population?

It doesn't matter how great a Halo game is from now on. Gamers today are more diverse and there are tons of triple A titles now a days. The days of Halo being the only game people played are over and the kids who dream about the past really need to wake up.
I mean, if Halo and CoD:BO were reversed on the population charts, it'd undoubtedly be a better thing for the Halo universe as a whole.
I would agree, except that I am SOO glad for the future of Halo because the garbage population for this game has shown them that all the Yoink! they added to Halo has been completely reviled. It gives me hope, assuming they actually listen to the community, that they do a 110% backtrack and actually gives Halo 5 a chance of being the Halo game that we want and need.
The 1% that sits on the forums all day is NOT the majority.
The majority left already... Please support your arguments (first off, form one)
So where did they go? None of the other Halo games, which said majority claim are still better than Halo 4, have seen a massive population spike on par with the number of people that left.

You honestly think they are all moved to Call of Duty? The shooter that they played Halo to avoid? Of course, since MLG picked up CoD, they might have.

After all, MLG merely hosting the game 'makes it competitive, and populations grow', right?
funny you should say that because I checked earlier and -

Halo 4 population: 31000

Halo Reach population: 27,000

I was playing Reach with my friends and loving it.

Also it is wrong to assume that just because 370000 people stopped playing 4 means that they are going to just flock to older Halo games. I think it speaks worlds that a 3.5 year old Halo game is close to the population of a 8month old Halo game, and thats not including H3.
I wouldn't trust the Reach population counter with my life. It's been buggy and 'frozen' for some time now, heck, there was 27,000 people playing last time I played, a couple of weeks ago, at 3 AM EST. This is actually common knowledge by this point.

Halo 4, on the other hand, has 32,271. An increase from what you saw.

And yes, I would expect those who stopped playing Halo 4 'because it's not Halo' to go back to playing the older Halo games. Ya know, the one's they make such a big deal about enjoying because the ARE Halo to them. How many of the people that left were 'fans and players since CE', or 'bought an Xbox just for Halo'.

But nope. It seems most of the people who ragged on Halo 4 for being 'too CoD like' .... went to go play CoD. Or other games, of course.
Quote:
People don't seem to realize how popular MLG and competitive gaming really is and it makes me laugh.

"OMG, the competitive community are totally the minority!" You sure about that? I suppose that's why hundreds of thousands watch the competitive scene, is it?

Halo did a lot for MLG and vice versa. If a game catches the attention of gamers on MLG, they'll play it. Halo already did that years ago, but Reach and H4 ruined it for everyone.

More people would be playing right now if:

1.) the game played like an actual Halo title and not a CoD/Battlefield wannabe.

2.) if it were on the MLG circuit.
Can you back that up at all?

I find it hard to believe that any MLG tournament has hundreds of thousand of viewers at any given time.

Major League Soccer get like 32 million between 3 or 4 tv networks a season for 100-200K audiences in a 2 hour block.

There is no way MLG wouldn't have sold their tv rights to a sports or another prominent cable network if they pulled audiences as big or bigger than an MLS game can
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that any MLG tournament has hundreds of thousand of viewers at any given time.

Major League Soccer get like 32 million between 3 or 4 tv networks a season for 100-200K audiences in a 2 hour block.

There is no way MLG wouldn't have sold their tv rights to a sports or another prominent cable network if they pulled audiences as big or bigger than an MLS game can
He said the competitive community.

League of Legends has a gigantic following for example.
Quote:
Quote:
People don't seem to realize how popular MLG and competitive gaming really is and it makes me laugh.

"OMG, the competitive community are totally the minority!" You sure about that? I suppose that's why hundreds of thousands watch the competitive scene, is it?

Halo did a lot for MLG and vice versa. If a game catches the attention of gamers on MLG, they'll play it. Halo already did that years ago, but Reach and H4 ruined it for everyone.

More people would be playing right now if:

1.) the game played like an actual Halo title and not a CoD/Battlefield wannabe.

2.) if it were on the MLG circuit.
Can you back that up at all?

I may be wrong but from what I understand about MLG is they are still yet to turn a profit, ever. Essentially they rely on investor money to keep doing what they do. If anyone has some facts to support/refute this I'd like to hear it. I've read plenty about MLG over the last number of years and Halo titles so it's not a silly off the cuff remark by me.

Further if you look at any Halo title online you'll find far more population numbers in default playlists than MLG, every time.

I support competitive gaming, I support fun, I appreciate what MLG do for the gaming scene but I do not appreciate the MLG-wannabe type of gamer at all. Halo should cater to diversity but specific niche maps/settings/playlists in depth. No one community should rule Halo, it doesn't work like that.

Whether it's Bungie/343i/MS, Virgin, UMG, MLG, AGL, Grifball, Flood or default I'm all for what Halo has to offer. It all just has to be there at launch and each requires sustain and spotlight highlighting on rotation. It's the community segments that have to get along better and the developer's curse to support as much of the splintering styles as possible.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
MLG did not make Halo. CE was widely popular before most people knew what MLG was. If anything, MLG needed a game like Halo to launch themselves on the path to becoming the league they are today. If Halo does return to the MLG circuit (actual LAN tournaments), that would be great for the competitive Halo scene. But as of now, it is just online ladders and tournaments. But regardless, I think they are doing pretty well right now with AGL, UMG, etc.
This thread should die and be locked. It's all full of opinions off the topic of Halo 4 being 'back on MLG'. But as a matter of fact, the OP is wrong also, because Halo 4 is not back on the pro circuit and it's been on Gamebattles since before the past few days. For months, actually.

Proof.
I thought Halo 4 was back on the circuit then - got me really excited :(
Quote:
I may be wrong but from what I understand about MLG is they are still yet to turn a profit, ever. Essentially they rely on investor money to keep doing what they do.
Sounds about right. Can see why they aren't though when they are trying to promote games like Star Craft and League of Legends over Halo lol.
Quote:
Quote:
I may be wrong but from what I understand about MLG is they are still yet to turn a profit, ever. Essentially they rely on investor money to keep doing what they do.
Sounds about right. Can see why they aren't though when they are trying to promote games like Star Craft and League of Legends over Halo lol.
League and Starcraft are not only more competitive, but also more popular games overall. It makes sense for them to promote them over Halo. MLG Halo has to be so different from the default product that it really alienates so many players. It makes sense.
Halo 4 has also a competitive factor that lives for a long time and still is in Halo 4 (Team Throwdown v4 settings)
Quote:
Halo 4 has also a competitive factor that lives for a long time and still is in Halo 4 (Team Throwdown v4 settings)
If it wasn't for team throwdown MLG wouldn't touch Halo 4.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
League and Starcraft are not only more competitive, but also more popular games overall. It makes sense for them to promote them over Halo. MLG Halo has to be so different from the default product that it really alienates so many players. It makes sense.
Fair enough. I see why their involvement with Halo is minimal these days. I just think that having them more involved would probably make Halo a lot more popular then it currently is. Guess it's just the try hard element that is not wanted here.
While I don't care for MLG...at all, it's nice to see the game getting some exposure again. Most people would disagree but the game is pretty much a desert right now and any attention towards it is good. Even if they hate where the attention is coming from.
Quote:
"If it's not BRs only, it's not Halo!"
This isn't entirely true. The main reason competitive settings feature the BR is because most competitive environments use 4 man teams, and the BR happens to be a 4sk. The 4sk BR allows teams to punish bad movement and positioning by instantly melting them with 1 shot from each team member. Does this always happen? Of course not but the 4sk BR enables this scenario. Even if another weapon requires marginally more skill in a 1v1 situation (LR/Carbine/Post TU AR*) MLG types will likely gravitate toward the BR because of its team-shot mechanics.

There are several other factors that shape gameplay. MLG types prefer to play a certain way and the 4sk BR enables them to do that. The 5sk BR pushed MLG away.

Well what about the LR, that is 4sk?

Spoiler:
Show
*I'm gonna take soooo much heat for this.
Quote:
And here I was hoping MLG left the Halo franchise forever. I hate MLG with a passion. They destroy every game they ever touched and vomit filth propaganda as if their way of thinking is the way games should be played.

MLG is one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry.
really? Competitive gaming in Halo is the pinnacle of it's multiplayer. I'm super happy MLG is coming back to give Halo another chance.

I can think of several issues in the gaming industry and MLG isn't on that list by a long shot.
Quote:
I hated MLG with a passion during the Halo 3 era, but I think them coming back is great news.

I have renewed hope for the Halo franchise.

343 has seemed to learn from their mistakes and are trying their hardest to fix what they've done wrong. I respect them for that.
You only hated mlg because of the fake wannabee mlg kids in the Halo 3 era. I hate when people have this ignorant tart attitude towards mlg for no legit reason.
TweeFoThwee IndaTrees-“You are the Battle-scared veterans, seasoned and accomplished Halo fans, the heart, soul and will of the Franchise. But these are my games now, monetization and needless changes matter to me, your thoughts not.”

Halo Fans-“👁👄👁.”
Quote:
Sometimes, some of you people make me want to blow my brains out.

Competitive gaming is not about sticking to the past and removing everything just for the hell of it while saying 'bad kid' 24/7.

You all have such a horribly flawed perception that it astounds me. Have you ever once considered there are logical reasons behind why their settings are the way they are?

Perhaps automatics are removed because they take much less skill than other weapons and lead to unfair effort vs reward.

Perhaps armor abilities are removed because they randomize gameplay and break certain aspects of maps.

Perhaps ordnance is removed because it has a heavy and random effect on a match where thousands of dollars are on the line.

By the way, here's a shocker for you ignorant people. Halo CE MLG had the Plasma Rifle, Halo Reach MLG had Jetpacks on the map, and Throwdown tries to incorporate ordnance while still remaining balanced.

The reason they kept those things is because they found a balanced and skillful way to incorporate them. They didn't remove them because they did not need to.

They don't "remove things just for the sake of it". They don't "hate evolution". They simply realize why certain aspects are flawed, and fix or remove them appropriately.

Perhaps instead of sitting on your -Yoinks!- and writing a bunch of unsupported -Yoink!- about something you have likely never experienced, you should open your minds and act more mature.

What is this, the scope's monkey trial?
You can always count on Ramir3z for a good, reasonable post. Although I doubt the posters who think MLG are the devil will listen.

OT: I'm glad Halo's getting some more recognition. Even though I don't like H4, it's still a good game & part of a franchise that I love.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4