Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Halo 4 is great, change my mind people

OP YoutubeSPARTAN4

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I think it is pretty good. It looks perfect for a game coming out in 2012. Also it had a great story. Adding and finally seeing the Forerunners/Prometheans was just great even though it was great to see the covenant after that again lol. The new weapons were pretty great. Customization was not as good as reach's but a lot more variety. Getting recon at SR 26 i think if i remember? But getting it that early was a good idea. That was a pointless thing but it is my favorite armor. Anyway adding skins and other things were just great. It had the best sniper in my opinion. But it still runs good and i like it so your guys thoughts and yea...
  • Halo 4 is definitely my number one favourite Halo game campaign-wise (when the scientists get composed is one of the darkest moments in Halo). We get introduced to Lasky who is a damn good officer.
  • The multiplayer I wasn't a huge fan of (the achievements turned me away more than anything).
  • Forge mode was excellent (as it improves with every new Halo game).
  • Regarding the weapons, the only ones I didn't like were the suppressor and the bolt shot. Thankfully they got the much needed upgrade in Halo 5: Guardians.
It had a boring story.
It had no memorable characters.
Promethians were a nuisance to battle.
Promethian Knights have the stupidest design.
The art style, especially that of the Covenant, is ugly.
Chief talks too much, taking away from his badass image.
Spartan Ops was extremely repetitive and boring.

These are just some of the reasons why I really dislike Halo 4. There's probably a lot more but that's all I can think of right now as I've already remembered too much about a game I'd rather forget.
I agree, I think Halo 4 is great.

I just think every single Halo before it is better.
Halo 4 is a mixed bag for me. First off let me make it clear that I don’t want the future halo games to be just rewritten versions of the original halo trilogy. That’s just boring and uncreative. But I also want to be interested in the plot. Halo 4 did make me care about what happened because although there were arguably too many things changed too quickly, it still felt like the fate of humanity was at risk. I also like how 343 expanded on the relationship between the Master Chief and Cortana. But it’s a little hard to believe that a gigantic technologically advanced ship like the infinity was made in just 4 years. I mean we saw no evidence of it in halo 3. But I do believe the story about the spartan IVs. I mean the Spartan II program saves the human race repeatedly so it makes a lot of sense that the UNSC would make more Spartans and make more than just a few so that they have a better chance of stopping threats. I have a mixed opinion about Requium and the Forerunner tech. I can accept that it’s more complicated than the other halo games because it’s a forerunner military base that was fighting a intergalactic parasite. But I don’t really know what to think about how everything forerunner has floaty towers they looked cool at first but I felt like it was just being overused. I feel the same way about the Prometheans. They were cool for a few levels but after the first couple levels they felt annoying. I don’t think it would’ve been as much of a problem if on the last couple levels they were mixed with the covenant forces a bit more just so they felt less like a spammed enemy. As for the Didact, I love his appearance. He looks intimidating in his armor (although he does use a knock off of the force). He also fills in the blanks a bit as to what a forerunner would look like. He did have an unclear motive as to why he wants to exterminate humanity. (unless you found the hidden terminals.) maybe we could have seen a more specific vision of the didacts children being killed by ancient humans. Which brings me to the other thing that was really hard for me to accept. When the Master Chief has his vision with the Librarian, the whole Human-Forerunner war came out of nowhere and it makes a big plot hole in the original trilogy. If humanity was your enemy for how many thousands of years, why would you ever give them the ability to use a galaxy destroying super weapon like the halos? If anything you probably would have the sentinels of a halo kill all the humans on sight. It just feels a little contradictory that the original trilogy allows humans unrestricted access to forerunner technology and suddenly in halo 4 humans are an ancient enemy of the forerunners.
Sorry about the rant, this is just my opinion of halo 4
I like that you have such appreciation for a game that is usually considered bad, and I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm just saying why I don't enjoy it as much as the other games. My main issue with Halo 4 is that it doesn't feel like a Halo game, in terms of gameplay and the story elements. For me, Halo is great due to the great stories they tell and their vast, open, diverse gameplay. Halo 4 is mostly comprised of on-foot linear corridors and paths in pretty bland locations, and even when we do get some vehicles you don't have the same freedom as you did in other games (for instance, the Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, The Covenant, etc.). Sure, Halo 2's level design overall is weak compared to Halo CE and 3, and the enemies are sometimes overly frustrating, but it still featured interesting locations and set pieces along with a much bigger variety of vehicles, weapons, and enemies. In Halo 4 it feels like you just spend the whole game fighting Covenant and Prometheans, which would be fine if they weren't so unfair and, in my opinion, not that fun to fight. They melee way too quickly, Knights can teleport, Watchers can put down shields and catch grenades, they're just so overly tough. Going up against them gets boring after a few encounters anyway. Halo 4 just doesn't provide in gameplay positives what made the previous five games so great. In the story, Master Chief has way too many lines of dialogue, making him less and less cool and ominous. It was perfect in Halo 3, where he'd talk only slightly so that it's enough that you can understand him and his points of view a little more. And because of how little he spoke, it just rose the tensions and hyped the player up when he did talk. With Halo 3 being made to end a trilogy, many of the great characters from those games, like Johnson and the Arbiter, had closure in the finale, so there aren't many memorable characters left in Halo 4. The characters they added could have been interesting, but characters like Del Rio, Palmer, and even the Didact are some annoying and unrealistic. The conflict with the Didact and Prometheans was weak, the struggle between Cortana and her rampancy could have been interesting but the execution of the rest of the story was just not good. The whole campaign was just lacking so much in terms of what made the previous games so special. I got some enjoyment out of the multiplayer but it felt like it had become more similar to Call of Duty than Halo at that point. For me, the whole game just doesn't feel like the Halo we know and love. If you enjoy this game, though, I won't try to change your mind and feel free to respond to this with any counter-arguments you have. I'd love to hear them!
  • The Forerunner/Didact aspect is barely explored and is explained poorly in the game itself
  • The Watchers and Crawlers lead to repetitive encounters due to limited options for/against them
  • The new weapons aren't very imaginative (aside from the Sticky Detonator, I suppose)
  • Only having two new player-controlled vehicles (while ditching several) is lame
  • Spartan Ops forces you to get an Xbox Live Gold subscription despite being playable alone
  • Sprint puts massive limitations on map design (stretching, flat areas with large sightlines on almost all maps, etc.)
  • Custom classes, Armor Abilities, perks, killstreaks, etc. make things imbalanced
  • The ability to earn those things faster than other players by buying Mountain Dew and Doritos at launch
  • Needing to pre-order from multiple retailers, buy multiple toys, etc. to get all cosmetics
  • No file sharing at launch
  • No skill-based ranking at launch, poor implementation after launch
That's pretty much every non-subjective issue I could think of.
I’m sorry I can’t share the enthusiasm. It was very mediocre, and I felt that way even as the game launched. What was a massive hype moment for a lot of people after where 3 left off, had me cringing when the trailer dropped.

It’s subjective, I know, but in my opinion the game was too ambitious for the Xbox 360, causing graphical issues, long load times, weird bugs, not to mention that “loading map lighting” thing forever. And that’s just the beginning of it. Here’s the rest of the list.

-they tried to fix what wasn’t broken with the Chief. I appreciated the effort to humanize and dramatize the game a little more and take it out of the campy Die Hard/ Terminator/ DOOM genre, but honestly I enjoyed Halo better in that zone. Lasky was a great character but everything else about the game felt weird. It could’ve made sense if it was a story about Chief finally breaking down, no longer a machine, shortly before death, disappearance in an ambiguous “did or did he not sacrifice himself and die again” thing or perhaps a retirement, but they didn’t do any of that. They fleshed him out in an odd, touchy-feely way, largely making the UNSC out to be bigger villains and idiots getting in the way of things than the actual villains. The story felt wannabe complicated and dramatic and some of it worked, but it was largely IMO a failure to deliver on the epic return that most people thought this would’ve been.

-the villains. They were weird. Not fun to shoot or fight in general. Uninteresting to look at. The concept was much more complex as an idea than religious aliens or an ancient zombie parasite. They didn’t seem as imposing or as threatening, it felt like you were constantly just being forced to fight them because they were there, not because there was all of humanity at stake. Lore wise, sure, but it just didn’t FEEL that way. The didact seemed like an attempt at having a singular head bad guy the way Call of Duty often does their villains, and this feeling was furthered by all of the quick time events.

-quick time events in Halo

-Multiplayer. I always liked loadouts but only when everyone had the same options with the exception of maybe 1 ability or a few options of preset weapon variants. Being able to spawn with exactly which weapons you wanted, with attachments and perks and kill streaks, was 100% just Call of Duty. There was even kill cams. Time to kill was much faster, abilities were useless, particularly because they’ were seemingly trying to appease both people that loved and hated Reach at the same time, while trying to draw in crowds from other shooters, which resulted in a compromise that made very few people happy with it. The battle rifle was the only viable weapon in the entire game. Infection was the only mode that resembled its old self and it was admirable that they actually included flood models as the infected, complete with a rotten zombie sword arm and sound effects, which was one of the games only really shining moments, but credit where it’s due.

-the leveling system was boring, and the spec ops missions were yet another uninspired CoD choice instead of having firefight or something new.

-it introduced that absolutely horrible new visual style that I can still not believe anybody to this day can stand to really look at. 5 smoothed it out a little bit still, in comparison to the original art style most of it sucks. There’s a few gems in the design there but not a lot.

-It had a quiet and mostly forgettable soundtrack. The best highlights of it were Green and Blue and the remixed Halo 3 Never Forget at the end, which always manages to get me no matter when where or how it’s played in the soundtrack.

In conclusion it was just painfully average to me. It looked that way from the beginning, I got maybe 2% hyped the night I went to the release, because everyone else was so hype; I brought it home, popped it in, loaded it up, cracked a Mountain Dew....and my jaw dropped at the sheer level
of insane disappointment I was experiencing over the next 4 hours or so it took me and my brother to beat the game and the following two hours where we experimented with the multiplayer and decided it pretty much sucked in comparison to the last three Halos we’d loved playing.

The campaign was like 5/10. Everything else 3/10.
Dang you guys like to type stuff out.
To put it simply, I didn't mind it at the time but after playing it again recently, would much rather play another Halo
Moyer wrote:
To put it simply, I didn't mind it at the time but after playing it again recently, would much rather play another Halo
I see. Many ppl have diff tastes.
The campaign was fine, but the multiplayer was questionable. We saw good things, like the return of the Halo 2/3 shield and health system, along with unique locations for multiplayer maps, however, we also saw some not so great things. The art/audio style shifted into something more-so resembling the Mass Effect series than Halo, there was a lack of de-scope when shot, and personalized loadouts were horrendous when paired with either non-stop noob combos or pocket shotguns.

I've always said that Halo 5's gameplay would have brought Halo 4's maps more justice than Halo 4 could itself. And then a Haven remake dropped in Halo 5, (Mercy), and it became my favorite 343 era map to play on.
I enjoyed playing the Halo 4 campaign however, the pulse grenade is the most god awful thing ever created.
Uuv wrote:
The campaign was fine, but the multiplayer was questionable. We saw good things, like the return of the Halo 2/3 shield and health system, along with unique locations for multiplayer maps, however, we also saw some not so great things. The art/audio style shifted into something more-so resembling the Mass Effect series than Halo, there was a lack of de-scope when shot, and personalized loadouts were horrendous when paired with either non-stop noob combos or pocket shotguns.

I've always said that Halo 5's gameplay would have brought Halo 4's maps more justice than Halo 4 could itself. And then a Haven remake dropped in Halo 5, (Mercy), and it became my favorite 343 era map to play on.
Forge was quite enjoyable for me. Loved multiplayer tho.
I enjoyed playing the Halo 4 campaign however, the pulse grenade is the most god awful thing ever created.
LOL I agree with the pulse grenade
Halo 4 was great. I liked the story, and I have a lot of memories of playing multiplayer. I made a lot of Forge maps and custom game modes over the years, and I played them with my cousins on Xbox Live. I think the player customization was amazing with being able to change individual pieces of armor, and adding in more visor colors and making stances was a neat idea. I also really liked the specializations you could unlock after SR50. Also I agree with the sniper rifle comment you made (though that may have to do with how the weapons have high bullet magnetism.) The only think I didn't really like about Halo 4 was that you needed a Gold membership to play Spartan Ops, though thankfully you don't need one in Halo MCC to play it. I like the Prometheans and their weapons, even if some of them are pretty weak.

Edit: After reading the above posts, I may be in the minority when I say I enjoyed almost everything about Halo 4. I guess I'm just more of a casual fan because I don't think about all that stuff. I did enjoy the campaign humanizing Chief more, and I liked fighting the Prometheans. The multiplayer was just casual fun, and that's why I liked it, but I can see why people would think it's too much like COD. I don't hate the new art-style, but I do prefer the old one.
Halo 4 was great. I liked the story, and I have a lot of memories of playing multiplayer. I made a lot of Forge maps and custom game modes over the years, and I played them with my cousins on Xbox Live. I think the player customization was amazing with being able to change individual pieces of armor, and adding in more visor colors and making stances was a neat idea. I also really liked the specializations you could unlock after SR50. Also I agree with the sniper rifle comment you made (though that may have to do with how the weapons have high bullet magnetism.) The only think I didn't really like about Halo 4 was that you needed a Gold membership to play Spartan Ops, though thankfully you don't need one in Halo MCC to play it. I like the Prometheans and their weapons, even if some of them are pretty weak.

Edit: After reading the above posts, I may be in the minority when I say I enjoyed almost everything about Halo 4. I guess I'm just more of a casual fan because I don't think about all that stuff. I did enjoy the campaign humanizing Chief more, and I liked fighting the Prometheans. The multiplayer was just casual fun, and that's why I liked it, but I can see why people would think it's too much like COD. I don't hate the new art-style, but I do prefer the old one.
I like this one. This is my guy. He just read all of my thoughts.
My question is: did you grow up playing Halo 4 or its predecessors? Consider that bias.

For me, I grew up playing Halo 1 & 2 so the later titles never had a chance regardless. Tommy Kost covers this well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSAh6x4AM6s
WastedU6 wrote:
My question is: did you grow up playing Halo 4 or its predecessors? Consider that bias.

For me, I grew up playing Halo 1 & 2 so the later titles never had a chance regardless. Tommy Kost covers this well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSAh6x4AM6s
I grew up with reach and halo 4
WastedU6 wrote:

I grew up with reach and halo 4
Bias towards those titles confirmed then :)
The story was great. The multiplayer was some what good but not as good as some of the others. Most of the maps were bad the only ones that I really like are Exile, Ragnarok, Haven, Pitfall, and Longbow. The Boltshot was bad but you could use it against Crawlers and if you got close enough to Knights it wasn't horrible. Than there was the Pulse Grenade. The grenade that let you see where it would hurt you and where it wouldn't.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3