Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

[Locked] halo CE and 2 on pc

OP Squidfarg0

How does one get to play them on the pc? not the mcc steam version, but the version that was playable way before that
You need to buy physical copies. You do have to put in a CD key, however, so if you can find a brand new one, then that would be best.
I genuinely recommend you not to. Both are abandoned, CE is nearly unplayable due to how broken it is, and H2... well, vista and GFW. The versions now shortly coming to steam seem infinitely better, as they include tons of imprivements and the (optional) remasters.
I agree with snug. Finding a physical copy is going to be difficult and as someone who owns one I can tell you CE on PC is an absolute mess filled with servers which have weird game modes. That games time is long gone sadly. I remember back in 2011 it was still ok to play online but now it's mostly players with bad internet connections and weird gamemodes. Alot of modded servers too but not fun mods just weird ones.

Wait a few months for it to come out on steam I promise it will be better plus I think it's only gonna be 10 bucks or so so you'll get a better more active multiplayer, better graphics, and just a better experience.
Squidfarg0 wrote:
How does one get to play them on the pc? not the mcc steam version, but the version that was playable way before that
Do you want to play campaign or multiplayer? Nothing wrong with the campaign. But the multiplayer..........is a mess.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not discuss/share modifying or hacking content on an Xbox console or PC.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not discuss/share modifying or hacking content on an Xbox console or PC.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
x N7 117 x wrote:
Well, let me stop you right there. GFWL servers are active and I have played Fable III and GTA IV online with other people through GFWL servers. So you are wrong. There is a complicated process to making it work, requiring some uninstalling and installing proper GFWL Clients on your PC. I digress, OP Should wait for and purchase the MC version of the whole package. It's 40 bucks on Steam, 40 on Windows Store, Or you can get the Xbox Game Pass for PC and get it for 31.99 choices. Currently, you will have to wait for the game's to be released in a specific order, Reach -> CE -> Halo 2 -> Halo 3 -> ODST -> 4. Six games for 40 bucks is not a bad price. Even if they have been out for years. Surprised they didn't give us 5 since it's the only one not on PC yet.

Though as for getting a clean and un-activated copy of Halo 2 for Vista. . . Good luck with that, since no additional keys are being made and if you do happen to get it and working ... It's like recently GTA IV got taken down from purchase on Steam due to GFWL unable to generate new keys. Such a fancy thought.
Spoiler:
Show
x N7 117 x wrote:
You need to buy physical copies. You do have to put in a CD key, however, so if you can find a brand new one, then that would be best.
Yeah, you didn't read what I stated. Thank you though. GFWL still works. Not supported by anyone. Still works. If you have an activatable key code you can redeem. If you already have it, you can play it. Just need to know what you're doing with Technology. Kay. I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything of the sort. I own and have recently played many GFWL through original clients and with others online in LEGIT servers. Halo 2, Fable III, GTAIV, Batman ArkhamCity, Asylum.... So again, It can be done. End of discussion. Have a wonderful day. Off-the-Record.
Spoiler:
Show
x N7 117 x wrote:
CE is broken if using the base installed version on any Version of Windows greater than 7. However Bungie released a patch for the game when windows 10 came out that can be found here . Halo 2 is no longer supported by 343 nor are the GFWL servers active. This is where there is actually a better version of the game, Project Cartographer which is a community supported project that has sought to make the Vista Version of the game play more like the OG Xbox version while also adding feature like new game modes, VFR, Variable FOV, skull toggle, togglable HUD, and a much better Matchmaking Experience. This can be found at this Link . Hope that this helps!
Well, let me stop you right there. GFWL servers are active and I have played Fable III and GTA IV online with other people through GFWL servers. So you are wrong. There is a complicated process to making it work, requiring some uninstalling and installing proper GFWL Clients on your PC. I digress, OP Should wait for and purchase the MC version of the whole package. It's 40 bucks on Steam, 40 on Windows Store, Or you can get the Xbox Game Pass for PC and get it for 31.99 choices. Currently, you will have to wait for the game's to be released in a specific order, Reach -> CE -> Halo 2 -> Halo 3 -> ODST -> 4. Six games for 40 bucks is not a bad price. Even if they have been out for years. Surprised they didn't give us 5 since it's the only one not on PC yet.

Though as for getting a clean and un-activated copy of Halo 2 for Vista. . . Good luck with that, since no additional keys are being made and if you do happen to get it and working ... It's like recently GTA IV got taken down from purchase on Steam due to GFWL unable to generate new keys. Such a fancy thought.
The GFWL for Halo 2 are no longer operational nor supported by 343. That is why Project Cartographer came along to remake the matchmaking for it.
Yeah, you didn't read what I stated. Thank you though. GFWL still works. Not supported by anyone. Still works. If you have an activatable key code you can redeem. If you already have it, you can play it. Just need to know what you're doing with Technology. Kay. I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything of the sort. I own and have recently played many GFWL through original clients and with others online in LEGIT servers. Halo 2, Fable III, GTAIV, Batman ArkhamCity, Asylum.... So again, It can be done. End of discussion. Have a wonderful day. Off-the-Record.
It really sounds like you are advocating for "Project Cartographer" at this point. Good job for them, This is not the place to talk about it though. Probably in that fine print, most people just click accept on and say they read it. You know... Terms of Use? End-User License Agreement... Type things.
“343 Industries announced that the Halo 2 Vista serverswould be disabled on February 15, 2013. However, this has currently been delayed to early 2014, to "investigate further support options." 343 Industries shut down the servers in July 2015 leaving no option to play online.” Also Project Cartographer gets discussed plenty on this website since it is literally H2 Vista except with continued support. And I’m sure H2 Vista still “works” to some minuscule degree. It is by no means functional as an online multiplayer game. And yes I would advocate for it, as until Halo 2 comes to pc this is easily best option for playing Halo 2 on the Platform and even performs more akin to the OG Xbox version and the now updated MCC version.

EDIT: Also when did you play official H2 Vista Servers because the server list has been no functional since 2015, out side of customs ran by you and friends. I own both an official copy of H2 Vista and the Project Cartographer Version, and only one of them can I play matchmaking, not that I can’t still unlock achievements ans access the GFWL home tab on the official version because that still works but serves no point if the game doesn’t actually support MM.
You don't stop, you're like my sister. Troll. I played last weekend if you must be fed.
x N7 117 x wrote:
CE is broken if using the base installed version on any Version of Windows greater than 7. However Bungie released a patch for the game when windows 10 came out that can be found here . Halo 2 is no longer supported by 343 nor are the GFWL servers active. This is where there is actually a better version of the game, Project Cartographer which is a community supported project that has sought to make the Vista Version of the game play more like the OG Xbox version while also adding feature like new game modes, VFR, Variable FOV, skull toggle, togglable HUD, and a much better Matchmaking Experience. This can be found at this Link . Hope that this helps!

The GFWL for Halo 2 are no longer operational nor supported by 343. That is why Project Cartographer came along to remake the matchmaking for it.
You don't stop, you're like my sister. Troll. I played last weekend if you must be fed.
How? The servers originally launched by MS/Bungie then handed over to 343 where deactivated in 2015. Not trolling seriously curious now as to how you make a nonfunctional multiplayer game work?
I was dissapointed how broken Halo CE is on pc, understand its old but man, its really bad.
I would wait till they come out on MCC PC.
I own Halo 2 Vista, it’s not bad, but it isn’t great either.
I never played combat evolved on PC, but for what I’ve heard, it’s a bad PC port. Just got to wait for 343 to release it, bro.
x N7 117 x wrote:

It really sounds like you are advocating for "Project Cartographer" at this point. Good job for them, This is not the place to talk about it though. Probably in that fine print, most people just click accept on and say they read it. You know... Terms of Use? End-User License Agreement... Type things.
How? The servers originally launched by MS/Bungie then handed over to 343 where deactivated in 2015. Not trolling seriously curious now as to how you make a nonfunctional multiplayer game work?
GFWL works. Look into it. Just signed off. Thanks.
Spoiler:
Show
Dude CE is dead, on PC it´s broken af.