Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Halo: Combat Evolved Turns 19!

OP VmasterRecon

Halo: Combat Evolved, the game that started the multi-billion dollar franchise, turns 19 years old today. Even though it wasn't the first thing in the Halo franchise to be released, it was responsible for giving the series worldwide attention and lay the groundwork for years to come, giving us a universe that has expanded beyond what anyone at Bungie could have dreamed of at the time.
When you think about it, there are people alive today either in school or college or at work that have never known a world without Halo in.
I am one of those people, lol. I like that you're keeping tabs on these milestones. I only know a few of them because of the MCC achievements for playing each title on their release day each year.
It's weird to think I'm only a few years older than this game. I grew up with it.
I hope that someday, when 343 is a competent Halo developer, or the franchise is given to someone who is, Halo Combat Evolved gets a true Anniversary remaster, one that adds cut/missing content, expands existing levels to account for the new content while also adding additional levels, and the one thing that will probably grind people's gears: Balance the Magnum! Although I get the feeling people won't like it overall, and I can't say I blame them. A proper Anniversary remaster could be a complete failure or a smashing success...
I hope that someday, when 343 is a competent Halo developer, or the franchise is given to someone who is, Halo Combat Evolved gets a true Anniversary remaster, one that adds cut/missing content, expands existing levels to account for the new content while also adding additional levels, and the one thing that will probably grind people's gears: Balance the Magnum! Although I get the feeling people won't like it overall, and I can't say I blame them. A proper Anniversary remaster could be a complete failure or a smashing success...
rebalancing the magnum so that MP is trash since no weapon will act as the standard precision weapon?
rebalancing the magnum so that MP is trash since no weapon will act as the standard precision weapon?
Nowhere in my post did I say that the magnum should be nerfed into the ground so that it is useless. I simply find it absurd that a pistol, a backup sidearm, is being treated as the primary 'one size fits all' weapon that dominates everything, especially in a game with as few weapons as CE, only one other of which is a long range weapon. Besides, you seem to have overlooked the bit where I said that the remaster should include cut and/or missing content, which includes weapons. Halo Combat Evolved would definitely have had more weapons if Bungie didn't have to meet Microsoft's deadline.
Nowhere in my post did I say that the magnum should be nerfed into the ground so that it is useless. I simply find it absurd that a pistol, a backup sidearm, is being treated as the primary 'one size fits all' weapon that dominates everything, especially in a game with as few weapons as CE, only one other of which is a long range weapon. Besides, you seem to have overlooked the bit where I said that the remaster should include cut and/or missing content, which includes weapons. Halo Combat Evolved would definitely have had more weapons if Bungie didn't have to meet Microsoft's deadline.
"boohoo it's a pistol and should be weaker" please contain yourself and remember that this is a game, and if the pistol isn't the BR of CE then what is? and if you claim adding cut content please show proof and explain how it would work in relation to CE incredibly tight sandbox
Great starting game to a great gaming future 😄
Happy birthday CE we all love you and your wacky physics and godly magnum.
I still love playing the Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary. I really like the Halo Combat Evolved campaign levels. At the same time, I still think that there has to be an improvement. I am hoping that 343 Industries will fix the original Halo Combat Evolved PC graphics to make it look more like the original Halo Combat Evolved Xbox version. I really want to see that in the next Halo Master Chief Collection updates.
Ah yes, good memories and getting one tapped by a warthog coming at you at 1 mph
Halo:"All I need to know is did we lose them"
Halo fans: "I think we both know the answer to that." (no)
Happy birthday Combat Evolved and thanks for making a community go strong for 19 years!