Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Halo: Reach Remastered

OP NW009

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hey everyone.

This has been on my mind for a while now, as far back as when the Halo 3: ODST Campaign was added to The Master Chief Collection. But since the release of Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition (more specifically Halo Wars: Definitive Edition), it has become a much more interesting topic to me and no doubt others.

As of recently, every Halo game that has ever been released to Xbox (excluding Halo: Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike) has been remastered in some form, either by means of a complete graphics and audio overhaul or a general tune up in terms of definition, framerate and quality.
To see this special treatment across all titles except one just doesn't make sense.

Halo: Reach was an amazing game. It built upon all existing Halo games yet added a unique touch and feel that had never been explored before in previous games.
But today, it quietly suffers visually and performance wise due to the limited technology of that time.

Halo: Reach needs to be remastered. It doesn't need anything special, just a simple buff and polish to bring it into the new generation. It doesn't need anything new added to it, just a few simple tweaks to the definition, framerate and general quality of the game (as was done in The Master Chief Collection.)

Please take this into consideration 343 Industries. Let me know if you agree.

NW009
if they put it on PC, I'd be all for it.
Quote:
As of recently, every Halo game that has ever been released to Xbox (excluding Halo: Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike) has been remastered in some form, either by means of a complete graphics and audio overhaul or a general tune up in terms of definition, framerate and quality.
To see this special treatment across all titles except one just doesn't make sense.
???

Halo CE & 2 were made for the classic X-Box, and they received Anniversary editions with remastered graphics, which were extremely welcome.

Halo 3, ODST, and Reach were made for the XB-360, and have NOT received Anniversary/Remastered editions. Any changes made to any of them for the XB1 went unnoticed. I believe the visual quality of these games is sufficient that a remaster isn't warranted because for the amount of expense and effort it would take would not be reflected in the amount of improvement to the finished product due to the law of diminishing return.

I also believe that we don't need any more re-releases for quite a while. I'm eager for the story to progress, which means new games, and when new games are done right they usually take multiple years to release, so I don't want other frivolous projects delaying the new content or taking time away from it which could have been used to improve the final product.
JNDreher wrote:
Quote:
???

Halo CE & 2 were made for the classic X-Box, and they received Anniversary editions with remastered graphics, which were extremely welcome.

Halo 3, ODST, and Reach were made for the XB-360, and have NOT received Anniversary/Remastered editions. Any changes made to any of them for the XB1 went unnoticed. I believe the visual quality of these games is sufficient that a remaster isn't warranted because for the amount of expense and effort it would take would not be reflected in the amount of improvement to the finished product due to the law of diminishing return.

I also believe that we don't need any more re-releases for quite a while. I'm eager for the story to progress, which means new games, and when new games are done right they usually take multiple years to release, so I don't want other frivolous projects delaying the new content or taking time away from it which could have been used to improve the final product.
In terms of remastered, I do not mean the Anniversary treatment. Just a simple refresh, exactly as it is, but with updated performance and all additional DLC included etc.
I, like you, do not think we need any more Anniversary Remasters.

Yes Halo 3: ODST did not get a full remaster, but it's Campaign was updated when it was added to The Master Chief Collection (as were each of the games) which makes an important difference which did NOT go unnoticed.
Playing Halo: Reach at 720P with 20FPS along with other minor inconsistencies is mind numbing, compared to all other Halo games which have been raised into the next generation quality of gaming.

I am not proposing a complete overhaul, just a simple re-boot of the game.
This doesn't need to be a large project. Like Halo Wars: Definitive Edition which was a mere bonus to those who purchased Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition, Halo: Reach Remastered need only be of similar stature, perhaps a port into The Master Chief Collection.

That is where I stand and believe it should happen.
NW009 wrote:
In terms of remastered, I do not mean the Anniversary treatment. Just a simple refresh, exactly as it is, but with updated performance and all additional DLC included etc.

Yes Halo 3: ODST did not get a full remaster, but it's Campaign was updated when it was added to The Master Chief Collection (as were each of the games) which makes an important difference which did NOT go unnoticed.
Playing Halo: Reach at 720P with 20FPS along with other minor inconsistencies is mind numbing, compared to all other Halo games which have been raised into the next generation quality of gaming.

This doesn't need to be a large project. Like Halo Wars: Definitive Edition which was a mere bonus to those who purchased Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition, Halo: Reach Remastered need only be of similar stature, perhaps a port into The Master Chief Collection.

I get what you're saying. I'm only speaking from my own experience, and I didn't really notice the performance upgrades you're mentioning. Maybe you are using more sensitive settings and have a better TV ... I wouldn't know. I'm glad we agree on Reach not needing the Anniversary treatment.

My personal position is that every cent and minute put towards an update to a previous game is a cent or minute not being used for the next new game, and when I view the existing games as acceptable, I'd prefer the resources and effort to go to new products. I don't think either of us is wrong, we're just looking at different sides of the coin and reaching different conclusions.
JNDreher wrote:
NW009 wrote:

I get what you're saying. I'm only speaking from my own experience, and I didn't really notice the performance upgrades you're mentioning. Maybe you are using more sensitive settings and have a better TV ... I wouldn't know. I'm glad we agree on Reach not needing the Anniversary treatment.

My personal position is that every cent and minute put towards an update to a previous game is a cent or minute not being used for the next new game, and when I view the existing games as acceptable, I'd prefer the resources and effort to go to new products. I don't think either of us is wrong, we're just looking at different sides of the coin and reaching different conclusions.
It's cool man. I'm a PC gamer myself so I'm very supportive of quality.
The updates to the games aren't hugely noticeable to members of the majority, but when you play next generation titles then revert to games released a few years ago you will notice the difference.

As for the time and resources spent on side projects rather than the main franchise, I agree. Halo 3 Anniversary for example is not something I would encourage.
I can't say I wouldn't be interested if it were to happen, but the game is perfectly fine the way it is and I would prefer they focus on the next installment and invest in progression and in considering community feedback.

But nonetheless, I think Halo: Reach deserves a remaster.
Honestly, the only things we're missing as Xbox One native Halo games now are Spartan Strike (which never hit consoles at all), Reach, and ODST's Firefight. We do actually have an Xbox One version of Spartan Assault, which is nice.

I was just thinking about this exact topic earlier, and is the reason I came here. I love Reach. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was my favorite, but having it back with all DLC, fixed framerate/blurring, and refreshed multiplayer playlists would be awesome. All I would need is the Halo Wars treatment, which is very similar - that game was also backwards compatible at the time, so that shows that Microsoft/343 doesn't necessarily consider back-compat as the only option.

I'd pay for a Reach upgrade, and to have Spartan Strike/Firefight added in. I think that having the entire Halo story in a working, modern format is really important, and I wouldn't want a magnificent campaign like Reach's to just be stuck in the awful technical mess it is now forever.
The last Bungie-made Halo game deserves some remastering <3
Even though I got rid of my Xbox360 a while ago, I would totally get an XboxOne just for this.
halo reach remaster would be great cause it was a great game when you think about it
I completely agree with you
JNDreher wrote:
Quote:
???

I think that with the way the story is heading, we should avoid progressing it...
I think that with the way the story is heading, we should avoid progressing it...
Alternatively, I would argue that if you don't like the current story arc, you should be eager for it to conclude so other stories can be told without this looming over their heads.

I personally see desirable and undesirable elements of the current story arc, and I want to see how they conclude it.
yeah, i can write a paragraph on what I like and don't like, but I agree, let it end
I am all for it.
yeah I agree with everything. But I wouldn't mind a re-mastered version of Reach if I'm paying a few bucks for it. Only down fall about re-mastered are they are buggy. I am getting a ahead of myself but id like if they removed armor lock that was a true buzz kill. Also keep levelling and ranking the same it was the best in my mind.
That sounds good
Reach being remastered would be amazing, and they could add extra armor that wasn't in the original that the fans really wanted.
I don't think they need a remaster. The backwards compatible version isn't buggy and the framerate barely drops anymore. On top of that, the population is still high enough for you to get into a game fairly quickly (don't trust the population counter).
I would like to see Halo Reach DE on Xbox One And PC.
343 could care less about Reach. And I think any remastering of it would be a waste of resources. I do absolutely love Reach but the game is not really relavent enough to get an update.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2