Have you attempted the campaign on legendary

OP Extorrxs

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I've done it solo on Legendary a few times. That's with a fair amount of dying, mind.

There are a few areas I find really tedious on Reach but, on the whole I think it's a great campaign.
I beat it solo 8 years ago, the 20th of September in 2010, barely a week after release. It's not what I'd call fun, but it's reasonably challenging without being too frustrating. The Plasma Pistol/DMR combo will see you through most encounters with Elites, your invincible AI buddies can distract enemies a lot of the time and take some of the heat, and vehicle segments like the space battle in Long Night of Solace and Falcon flight in New Alexandria provide a reprieve after some of the more intense missions.
I remember when I was playing through and reaching the lone wolf mission, I had survived for so long that I met the golden BOB elite. I even assassinated it >:3
Probably played full campaign on Legendary 4-5 times. It's good fun. =] The AI is especially good in Reach.

Beginner tips:
DMR is best weapon to have, instakills anything with a headshot, except hunter and vehicles. Ofc you need to remove the shields of Elites, and the helmets of Brutes.
Never spam shots, if you're killing Grunts and Jackals with a DMR bodyshot you're doing it wrong.
Get into the habit of finding DMR's and DMR ammo in the campaign levels. You can also drop yours for some covenant weapon, trade that for a Marines DMR, then pick yours up again.
If you don't have DMR, Pistol is the next best thing. A full needle rifle also kills lots of enemies (especially brutes). Don't spam needles though, enemies will dodge most of them, take it slow. Especially useful in Pillar of Autumn.
There's plenty of fights you can skip, and there's some fights you can have the rest of Noble Team do for you. For instance, the start of Winter Contingency you fight 5 Elites in a field. You can hang back and keep an eye on them, at some point Noble will deplete shields on one of them, allowing for you to pop out and headshot them from a distance. Further into the mission, you can just wait inside as Noble defends a room before they can shut the door.

Otherwise, most of the time you'll want to carry a plasma pistol as a secondary. Unless you have some power weapon that allows you to deal with elites (mostly Sniper, Rockets, Fuel rod, Plasma Launcher). Next best thing: Grenade Launcher also works great against shields (though it's harder to use). Next best thing: Focus rifle, plasma rifle, plasma repeater. These also work well against shields, though I'll almost always prefer plasma pistol.
I did it on solo legendary, probably one of the second hardest solo campaign I have done, with 3 being the hardest that I have completed. (I haven't beaten 1 or 2 on solo legendary yet.) It provides a good challenge even for some of the more skilled players. One of the hardest parts for me was when you are in the MAC Cannon in the last mission. The phantoms would shred me. But I found a little trick for beating it a little easier. All you have to do is exit the MAC Cannon like you would any normal vehicle. Then just hide behind it so the phantoms can't shoot you. Then just wait until the super carrier/corvette moves into range before hopping back into the Cannon and taking the final shot. I always thought that the ship wouldn't move into range until you took out a certain number of phantoms...but that's not true. It's on a timer based on how long you survive.
All you have to do is exit the MAC Cannon like you would any normal vehicle. Then just hide behind it so the phantoms can't shoot you. Then just wait until the super carrier/corvette moves into range before hopping back into the Cannon and taking the final shot. I always thought that the ship wouldn't move into range until you took out a certain number of phantoms...but that's not true. It's on a timer based on how long you survive.
Yeah, great example of a skip that takes little effort and practice.

Another easy alternative method: You can kill the AA cannons in Tip of the Spear and The Package from far away with vehicles (with either a Rocket Hog or Revenant in TotS, with the Scorpion on TP).
All you have to do is exit the MAC Cannon like you would any normal vehicle. Then just hide behind it so the phantoms can't shoot you. Then just wait until the super carrier/corvette moves into range before hopping back into the Cannon and taking the final shot. I always thought that the ship wouldn't move into range until you took out a certain number of phantoms...but that's not true. It's on a timer based on how long you survive.
Yeah, great example of a skip that takes little effort and practice.

Another easy alternative method: You can kill the AA cannons in Tip of the Spear and The Package from far away with vehicles (with either a Rocket Hog or Revenant in TotS, with the Scorpion on TP).
Yep, once you get the hang of using the scoripon or the rocket/gauss hogs, it's pretty easy to take them out without even getting in range of them.
First Halo game I did Legendary solo. Exodus and Pillar of Autumn are nightmarish. Other than that it's one of the easier Halos to legendary. IMO the three most difficult are 2, 5, and CE.
First Halo game I did Legendary solo. Exodus and Pillar of Autumn are nightmarish. Other than that it's one of the easier Halos to legendary. IMO the three most difficult are 2, 5, and CE.
Curious, I thought Halo: CE was one of the easier ones, but then, perhaps that's because I played it so many times. Most of which were on Halo CE: Anniversary, which seems easier to me. On the other hand, I've played Reach most of all campaigns, and I still think it's one of the hardest ones. In my opinion: Halo 2 > Halo: Reach > Halo 4 > Halo: CE > Halo 3 > Halo 3: ODST (I haven't played H5 or the non-Xbox offshoots).
Curious, I thought Halo: CE was one of the easier ones, but then, perhaps that's because I played it so many times. Most of which were on Halo CE: Anniversary, which seems easier to me. On the other hand, I've played Reach most of all campaigns, and I still think it's one of the hardest ones. In my opinion: Halo 2 > Halo: Reach > Halo 4 > Halo: CE > Halo 3 > Halo 3: ODST.
To be fair, you're probably right. This was my first time finishing a full CEA playthrough. The furthest I'd ever gotten before that was the library on Normal. This, and the fact it was only the fourth one I played through solo Legendary, probably meant I found it harder than it actually is.

For me it'd probably be SpOps (Just because it was such a grind and I didn't enjoy any of it)> Halo 2> Halo 5> Halo CE> Halo Reach> Halo 4> Halo 3> ODST.

That being said, Reach and 2 despite being in my top five hardest I both really enjoyed and Reach is definitely in my top three fave campaigns to play on Legendary.
The player character is tough in Combat Evolved and a lot of enemy attacks are "less than lethal" , they are otherwise lethal in other Halos.

The assault cannon from Hunters can't one-hit kill MC on legendary (or not, I never died from that thing the few times I ate a shot, only survived without shield and several health squares lost) , the same shot in Reach one-hit kill you in Normal. Probably the best example.

Just this can't make Combat Evolved the hardest Halo or hard at all, this is a game where the Plasma Pistol (it's impossible to miss the gun) can destroy many enemies by itself.
The assault cannon from Hunters can't one-hit kill MC on legendary (or not, I never died from that thing the few times I ate a shot, only survived without shield and several health squares lost) , the same shot in Reach one-hit kill you in Normal. Probably the best example.
Also, 1 pistol round in the back kills hunters on Legendary.

Didn't a stuck plasma grenade kill any Elite as well? In Reach, as I recall, Ultras and Generals don't die from that.

Didn't a stuck plasma grenade kill any Elite as well? In Reach, as I recall, Ultras and Generals don't die from that.
In Halo CE, the only class of Elites that could survive a sticky is the Zealot. Everyone else pretty much died, including the Spec Ops. In Reach however, Ultras and Generals look like pure bad-Yoinks- when they survive a sticky. 'Cause they do. I may be wrong, but I think the Officers/Majors can also survive it.

That's because the orange parts are the "head" while the blue armor is the normal body but Hunters are not tough in all games prior to Reach.

Unsure for Spec Ops but all Elites die from a stick, reds and blues don't even need to be stuck to die. The Plasma Grenade is EMP in Combat Evolved (the Energy Sword too) so any rank is in trouble if hit by the explosion.

Unless prepared, it's not a good idea to stick an Elite in Reach if he survive because they usually go berserk.

In Halo CE, the only class of Elites that could survive a sticky is the Zealot. Everyone else pretty much died, including the Spec Ops. In Reach however, Ultras and Generals look like pure bad-Yoinks- when they survive a sticky. 'Cause they do. I may be wrong, but I think the Officers/Majors can also survive it.
Not really (favourite way to deal with that one Zealot) .
AH, BULL-[CENSORED]. WHAT? I had it survive a sticky once. WHAT? Well, looks like it really is a "hard ping" just like in Halo 2. Well, at least I learned something useful today.
That's because the orange parts are the "head" while the blue armor is the normal body but Hunters are not tough in all games prior to Reach.

Unsure for Spec Ops but all Elites die from a stick, reds and blues don't even need to be stuck to die.
I object, it's a bunch of wurms, hardly a head! :P It's funny, I remember learning to do this from the montage you see when you sit idle in Main Menu. I knew a Sniper shot to the back instakilled a Hunter, but I didn't know a pistol was enough too, and at close range pistol is way easier to hit.

And yeah, a Spec Ops Elite would die for sure, aren't they the weakest of them all? I remember killing all of them with just a plasma pistol, in the room after the air lift on Truth and Reconcilliation. I wanted the plasma pistol for the Zealot(s), noticed along the way I really didn't need to bother switching to Sniper when I saw a Spec Ops Elite. And that was Legendary (Co-Op though).

AH, BULL-[CENSORED]. WHAT? I had it survive a sticky once. WHAT? Well, looks like it really is a "hard ping" just like in Halo 2. Well, at least I learned something useful today.
What's a 'hard ping'? Do they really survive sometimes? I wonder what causes this. Aren't all of them equally strong, or does it matter what the grenade is stuck to, or is it just a glitch?
I object, it's a bunch of wurms, hardly a head! :P It's funny, I remember learning to do this from the montage you see when you sit idle in Main Menu. I knew a Sniper shot to the back instakilled a Hunter, but I didn't know a pistol was enough too, and at close range pistol is way easier to hit.

And yeah, a Spec Ops Elite would die for sure, aren't they the weakest of them all? I remember killing all of them with just a plasma pistol, in the room after the air lift on Truth and Reconcilliation. I wanted the plasma pistol for the Zealot(s), noticed along the way I really didn't need to bother switching to Sniper when I saw a Spec Ops Elite. And that was Legendary (Co-Op though).
Spec Ops in games prior to Reach have one of the best shield system, second to Ultras in Halo 2 at least. They are the only rank who use grenades and replace all regular troops after the proto-gravemind in CE, can drop 5 Plasma Grenades in that game too.

In Combat Evolved no shield protect stealth Elites, Assault RIfle wins.

In Reach they look more like stealth Elites but they don't seem to have the increased health and recharging speed from Halo 2. They are the weakest of all as a charged shot from a Plasma Pistol remove the shield on LASO, second to Rangers who die from a rocket if it connect.
What's a 'hard ping'? Do they really survive sometimes? I wonder what causes this. Aren't all of them equally strong, or does it matter what the grenade is stuck to, or is it just a glitch?
A Hard Ping is when you know that the death of that enemy is certain, like a sticky in Halo 2. Every enemy who gets stuck will always die (of course, except Hunters and Enforcers). Headshots too, etc.
A Hard Ping is when you know that the death of that enemy is certain, like a sticky in Halo 2. Every enemy who gets stuck will always die (of course, except Hunters and Enforcers). Headshots too, etc.
I got this with a regular melee and an Energy Sword attack, both didn't break the shield and that was on Legendary, the normal melee is okay, not the sword since 3 layers aren't able to take one... or I was unlucky.

Enforcers aren't bipeds.

Spec Ops in games prior to Reach have one of the best shield system, second to Ultras in Halo 2 at least. They are the only rank who use grenades and replace all regular troops after the proto-gravemind in CE, can drop 5 Plasma Grenades in that game too.
Right, my bad, I was thinking of Stealth Elites, I thought those were called 'Spec Ops', probably because in Reach Firefight, Spec Ops are the invisible ones with swords (although those have shields). The ones I was talking about (Halo: CE) don't have shielding at all.

Just read a little on it, apparently Spec Ops Elites are Black/Dark Purple in Halo: CE? I do remember those.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4