Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Horrible Skill-based matchmaking system

OP Mjority

Let me start off by saying i love this game greatly, infact i have compared Halo 4 to the BEST multiplayer experience i've ever had.

But this game by far has the worst skill-based matchmaking system ever. I constantly either get a team of 130's against like 60's ALL THE TIME.

I'm either on the side that get's destroyed due to my teammates poor skill or just totally step on new players all the time. I also understand that SR doesn't have much to do with a persons skill rather CSR does.

BUT CSR is an extremely flawed system and due to this game's poor skill-based matching system i was 100% against the team-based change 343 made awhile ago.

It's honestly shocking that with a matchmaking system that takes SO LONG that i get people who just started playing! HONESTLY, it's as if the system has taken so long that it gave up and decided to match me up with anyone--thats how bad it is

IT'S not an issue with population also, Halo: Reach is still capable of matching me up fast with people that atleast have an understanding with the game

P.S. the BR is extremely overpowered, why this hasn't been addressed yet is beyond me
guess what in fact it is an issue with population
You are not alone; others are experiencing the same. Halo 4 had bad skill matching to begin with, but the low population makes the problem even worse.

FYI though, your in-game SR rank is not a skill rank and therefore not indicative of skill. You can see your Competitive Skill Rank (CSR) only on Waypoint.
Quote:
You are not alone; others are experiencing the same. Halo 4 had bad skill matching to begin with, but the low population makes the problem even worse.

FYI though, your in-game SR rank is not a skill rank and therefore not indicative of skill. You can see your Competitive Skill Rank (CSR) only on Waypoint.
I understand that SR is not the same as CSR as i said in my OP, but there is a difference playing with a bunch of 60's on your team against a bunch of 130's on the other, it's just not right for everyone

this is the biggest problem with this fantastic game and really needs to be fixed asap
If I could give any bit of good advice for playing matchmaking, it's going in with a few of your friends/peers. Unfortunately it's not a perfect world and we don't all have our friends or family readily available to team up with. Playing team playlists searching alone has been excruciating for me the past few weeks. I've become good at backpacking unfortunately. That being said I've been jamming FFA a lot due to this fact. With huge Halo news dropping at E3 most likely, I'm hoping for a larger, if temporary surge, to the population. We need fresh blood and better players.
Quote:
If I could give any bit of good advice for playing matchmaking, it's going in with a few of your friends/peers. Unfortunately it's not a perfect world and we don't all have our friends or family readily available to team up with. Playing team playlists searching alone has been excruciating for me the past few weeks. I've become good at backpacking unfortunately. That being said I've been jamming FFA a lot due to this fact. With huge Halo news dropping at E3 most likely, I'm hoping for a larger, if temporary surge, to the population. We need fresh blood and better players.
well said,

as for FFA i've become a 50 because of this! lol
Good luck finding more players. With Halo 5 around the corner and many people jumping ship to the Xbox One where Halo 4 is unplayable I doubt we will see any fresh blood.

I don't even bother playing Halo 4, honestly. If I'm itching for some multiplayer I pop Reach in and enjoy some quick matchmaking against relatively competent players.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
A low population makes it hard to get matched teams. I've always felt that lopsided skill matching drives beginners away, and is a factor in population decline.

Maybe a new playlist just for noobs - those with less than a 0.75 or 1.0 k/d. Call it "Training FFA", with simple loadouts, and allow the matchmaking to match as few as 2 for a 1v1 if the wait is too long. Once you reach a 1.0 k/d, you'll have to move on to other casual playlists as a next step. Of course, the trainees could play any playlists, just like they can now.
Quote:
Let me start off by saying i love this game greatly, infact i have compared Halo 4 to the BEST multiplayer experience i've ever had.

But this game by far has the worst skill-based matchmaking system ever. I constantly either get a team of 130's against like 60's ALL THE TIME.

I'm either on the side that get's destroyed due to my teammates poor skill or just totally step on new players all the time. I also understand that SR doesn't have much to do with a persons skill rather CSR does.

BUT CSR is an extremely flawed system and due to this game's poor skill-based matching system i was 100% against the team-based change 343 made awhile ago.

It's honestly shocking that with a matchmaking system that takes SO LONG that i get people who just started playing! HONESTLY, it's as if the system has taken so long that it gave up and decided to match me up with anyone--thats how bad it is

IT'S not an issue with population also, Halo: Reach is still capable of matching me up fast with people that atleast have an understanding with the game

P.S. the BR is extremely overpowered, why this hasn't been addressed yet is beyond me
Rank means nothing in Halo 4 it just shows who plays matchmaking more. The BR isn't overpowered...
The ranking system is fine...The only thing that needs to be changed is showing CSR in-game.
Quote:
Quote:

Rank means nothing in Halo 4 it just shows who plays matchmaking more. The BR isn't overpowered...
Read the whole post before you reply, or else you just look like a troll on purpose

and no, it is overpowered
Quote:
The ranking system is fine...The only thing that needs to be changed is showing CSR in-game.
it's not, atleast in team slayer it isn't

lopsided games are a thing in halo but this is just ridiculous
I agree, mopping the floor with scrubs gets tedious after a while, even for me! It's also annoying when you go to play in the team throwdown playlist (best playlist in the game IMO) and it's filled with noobs even though it's supposed to be competitive :(
Completely agree with this post. In whatever playlist, be it CTF or Action Sack, I either come up against a team filled with new players and guests (no offence) or a team of MLG tryhards, all communicating with one another, who stomp the other team and teabag at every kill....

It's why I barely go on Team Slayer without friends of a similar ability anymore, call me a quitter or whatever but the bottom line is no one enjoys going online on there own and getting destroyed by a team.

to whoever said the BR is overpowered, I agree 100%, for a game that mainly focusses on medium sized maps, 11 bullets to the head to kill (4 headshots) with with a high bullet magnetism and aim assist is too powerful in my opinion.

Not to mention I'm annoyed that the vocal BR fanboys on the forums got there way in making it the dominant weapon of Halo once again.