HOW TO MAKE HALO FUN AGAIN

OP Drowsy Demon

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Quote:
How I would handle Halo 4, as a gamer and designer:

I'll break this up into two parts; multiplayer and campaign, I won't even touch stuff like Forge or Firefight.

Multiplayer

Multiplayer, to me, is probably the most important part of Halo; above the story, above the characters, above everything. You remember Halo because of how the game plays and all the memories you made by playing splitscreen and on XBox Live.

The biggest, flat out biggest change to Halo multiplayer would be to finally remove it from P2P play and onto dedicated servers. If I was only allowed to change one thing about Halo multiplayer, this is first and foremost. Balance issues can be handled later with Title Updates, MLG, etc, bad maps can be re~made by the community or MLG, etc.

Dedicated servers, I feel, is the way to go. Without question.

Second thing I would change is to try, as best as possible (especially working with MLG and other pros), is to balance the sandbox so that during gameplay every weapon has the potential, or flat out ability, to be viable. Skill of course would measure how good a player is, but it would be my ultimate goal, especially while sitting down with MLG, to create a sandbox where no weapons are ever removed or disregarded for MLG or competitive play. Armor Lock should have been single use only.

My ultimate goal is to no longer have situations where people think spawning with the AR is terrible and something only thumbless players want. While a utility weapon is important, I want to make it so that players (if this is possible), can feel "comfortable" walking into a fight with say... a Needler against a BR, or a Shotgun.

Now that's not to say I want the Needler to be able to dominate either weapon just because it's a Needler, no. With enough player skill, I want someone to be able to walk into that fight and not immediately think "oh -blam!-, I'm dead because I have a Needler." If that makes sense?

I know current MLG people can probably do this, but they still remove the Needler. Ultimate goal for the sandbox, as I said, was to balance it out so everything has a viable use and thus never gets removed.

Return movement speed/jump height to older Halos, perhaps maybe even slightly faster, but with no extra height on jumps.

Expand the Power Up sandbox. No Equipment. No Armor Abilities (not even a default Sprint). More Power Ups. A total (including Camo/OS) of six at max. Simple Power Ups like Speed Boost, Faster Regenerating Health, etc, ones that are temporary.

Flesh out some multiplayer modes. Get in things like Objection Infection, Invasion Slayer Hold the Point type games that mixes Invasion Slayer and King of the Hill, balance out Invasion and add in Gauntlet style match types.

Single Player

Single player Halo campaigns, to me, need to do one big thing:

Feel like a damn battle.

After reading the Halo books I look back at all the Halos and none of them gave me the same feelings of "battle" that the books did.

Give Master Chief human qualities. The biggest thing that stands out to me about Master Chief wasn't in any of the games, it was in the novelization of Halo CE; The Flood. Master Chief, in one scene nearly breaks down from exhaustion. Give me moments like this in game, I'm a human who is as fast and as tough as a damn Terminator, it doesn't mean I have to have the soul of one.

Final thing about campaign...

Give me more of my still living SPARTAN teammates and put me with them damnit. Yes, I can fight one vs 547827860897697867208976234 easily, but my entire training, nearly the entire first half of my life was spent training, and fighting on a team. Give me that in game.
Quote from Darkside Eric.
Unfortunately, this post will be ignored :(
Quote:
Unfortunately, this post will be ignored :(
Not be me, I think this was an excellent post and describe how Halo should be perfectly.
It sounds pretty unrealistic with Halo's current gun mechanics. I think you'd have to redo pretty much everything for something like this to be possible, which I'm not ruling out.
How to make halo fun again? as far as I'm aware it never stopped being fun
YOU ARE NOT ERIC!
Quote:
YOU ARE NOT ERIC!
Please read the whole thing.

Then post.

Thank you for your co-operation :)
Quote:
It sounds pretty unrealistic with Halo's current gun mechanics. I think you'd have to redo pretty much everything for something like this to be possible, which I'm not ruling out.
Are you serious?

Halo CE did that just fine. The only actually bad gun that you knew you would be limiting yourself by using was the Needler.

This post is just a circuitous explanation of what made Halo CE weapon balance good and asking for that great balance to be in Halo 4.
Quote:
Quote:
Are you serious?

Halo CE did that just fine. The only actually bad gun that you knew you would be limiting yourself by using was the Needler.

This post is just a circuitous explanation of what made Halo CE weapon balance good and asking for that great balance to be in Halo 4.
Silly, it's just Zome being Zome :)
Quote:
Quote:
Are you serious?

Oh, I thought we were talking about Pistol-player, not campaign.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Are you serious?

Wow really?

CE sandbox still much better balanced than these new ones.

Every game they have consistently made automatic weapons effective at a shorter and shorter range to the point that they are practically useless as anything other beatdown machines.

CE automatics could kill outside of two feet and that needs to come back if they keep insisting that we spawn with an AR, it should at least be able to kill from some distance and not require a bash for efficient kills.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Are you serious?

Wow really?

CE sandbox still much better balanced than these new ones.

Every game they have consistently made automatic weapons effective at a shorter and shorter range to the point that they are practically useless as anything other beatdown machines.

CE automatics could kill outside of two feet and that needs to come back if they keep insisting that we spawn with an AR, it should at least be able to kill from some distance and not require a bash for efficient kills.
Really. Count the total number of kills with automatic weapons. Then count the pistol kills. Post a ratio.

In fact, count the total number of kills with anything not the pistol (this includes nades, melees, power weapons) then post another ratio of those vs. pistol kills.

I feel as though you're letting nostalgia rule you.
I'm not saying bring back the pistol.

I am saying to bring back the CE AR and Plasma Rifle.
Quote:

You're changing your argument.

First, you said that CE accomplished what the OP describes. Then, you conceded that point, and now, you're saying we should bring back CE's versions of automatics.

What?
I enjoyed the halo games all the same. For better or for worse the changes in each game didnt make the game boring or annoying. I still think all halos are fun.
Quote:
Quote:

First, you said that CE accomplished what the OP describes. Then, you conceded that point, and now, you're saying we should bring back CE's versions of automatics.

What?
You're the one who mentioned the pistol first.

I was always talking about the stronger CE automatics.

You know, because I said that they were stronger.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What?
You're the one who mentioned the pistol first.

I was always talking about the stronger CE automatics.

You know, because I said that they were stronger.
I mentioned the pistol first because it directly countered your point that is "Halo CE did that just fine. The only actually bad gun that you knew you would be limiting yourself by using was the Needler."
My main point was still that the AR and Plasma Rifle were much less limiting than they are now.

Tell me why that is bad instead of focusing on a point you are inserting into my words.
Quote:
My main point was still that the AR and Plasma Rifle were much less limiting than they are now.

Tell me why that is bad instead of focusing on a point you are inserting into my words.
Your argument was that HCE did what the OP describes. It doesn't. It couldn't without huge changes.

Yes - I agree that the AR and Plasma Rifle were much less limiting than they are now, but that wasn't your argument until you changed it.
I didn't.

You brought up pistols which I wasn't talking about and you won't stop insisting I was.

Use your ctrl+f and find where the first use of the word pistol is.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2