Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

I'm getting WORSE at Halo!

OP Pureeey

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Before, I was only getting better at the game.
But as of a few months ago, I've noticed that I'm actually getting worse at Halo over time.
I don't understand how it's possible.

Here's my theory:
I've played Halo so much, I've become too comfortable with the game.
So instead of putting thought into every action I make, I just mindlessly play without thinking.

I'm not sure if that even makes sense, but it's all I can think of.
If there's anything you can say to possibly help, please don't hesitate to do so.
Thank you.
Are you playing with people at your skill level.
Whenever I'm doing bad, I change the weapon or AA I'm using, and I change my play style accoringly.
How do you know you're getting worse?
Quote:
Before, I was only getting better at the game.
But as of a few months ago, I've noticed that I'm actually getting worse at Halo over time.
I don't understand how it's possible.

Here's my theory:
I've played Halo so much, I've become too comfortable with the game.
So instead of putting thought into every action I make, I just mindlessly play without thinking.

I'm not sure if that even makes sense, but it's all I can think of.
If there's anything you can say to possibly help, please don't hesitate to do so.
Thank you.
Getting comfortable is a perfectly legitimate reason as to why your performance falters, not just in Halo, but in life. If you aren't constantly fighting to improve and make yourself better, and aren't stressing yourself to improve, you won't. You will either plateau, or get worse.

Start taking yourself more seriously when you play. Tell yourself if you lose, that you have to do something you hate. Do the dishes, for instance, is my thing. My girlfriend usually does them, but if I'm feeling myself slip that's the deal I make with her. I can't stand doing the dishes, so I play my best.

Also, try messing with your sensitivity. If I'm having an off day I'll lower my sensitivity to give myself a little more consistency.

Lastly, play with a team whenever you can. You'll keep yourself in the zone and get a ball rolling. As a lone wolf it's hard to stay motivated.
As Multichem stated, playing as a lone wolf really hinders your motivation to play; I know. My friends never play Xbox anymore, so I'm left to play by myself and I can barely play longer than an hour, if that.

Also, I'm with you on your hypothesis. After playing Halo for so many years, I too have become just way too comfortable with it and have noticed that my skill has been declining considerably the past week. It's just how I am personally. I just become too comfortable with certain things and just really stop caring and stop trying. I become bored with everything, quit that thing, and move onto something else.
I'd suggest getting a mentor, or teacher to help you get better.
The best thing you can do to improve your play individually is to focus on improving one facet of your game at a time.

"If you keep it simple in Halo you will get better results." - Genghis Khan
Quote:
I'd suggest getting a mentor, or teacher to help you get better.
It's not that I'm bad, I'm actually very good at Halo.
The problem is that I'm getting worse.
Quote:
As Multichem stated, playing as a lone wolf really hinders your motivation to play; I know. My friends never play Xbox anymore, so I'm left to play by myself and I can barely play longer than an hour, if that.

Also, I'm with you on your hypothesis. After playing Halo for so many years, I too have become just way too comfortable with it and have noticed that my skill has been declining considerably the past week. It's just how I am personally. I just become too comfortable with certain things and just really stop caring and stop trying. I become bored with everything, quit that thing, and move onto something else.
But I don't want to stop playing Halo.
It's been my passion for years; I can't just give it up.

I just can't handle to play it anymore.
I'm a naturally competitive person, but if I'm getting worse, I can't help but get really angry.

How do the pros do it?
How do they ensure they continue to improve?
I wanna' know their secrets.
Quote:
Start taking yourself more seriously when you play. Tell yourself if you lose, that you have to do something you hate. Do the dishes, for instance, is my thing. My girlfriend usually does them, but if I'm feeling myself slip that's the deal I make with her. I can't stand doing the dishes, so I play my best.
That's a good idea, I may try it.
But what if I still don't improve?

Quote:
Also, try messing with your sensitivity. If I'm having an off day I'll lower my sensitivity to give myself a little more consistency.
I don't think sensitivity has anything to do with it.
In Halo Reach, I played on 10 sensitivity, but was great.
Since I started playing Halo 4, I've had to lower my sensitivity down to 4.
Which further proves my decline.

Quote:
Lastly, play with a team whenever you can. You'll keep yourself in the zone and get a ball rolling. As a lone wolf it's hard to stay motivated.
I usually do play with a team.
Quote:
Are you playing with people at your skill level.
Well, we have CSR, so I'd imagine so.
I've noticed playing late at night pairs you with tryhards more often than ever, I typically start getting trashed around then and stop playing.

If you are still having fun with it then I see no problem but if you aren't just try to consciously make smarter decisions. Sometimes I get into the bad habit of rushing headlong into battle because of a mixture of boredom and frustration when it really isn't the smartest way to go about things.
It's quite possible that, as you get better, you're getting paired up against players who are much better too. It wouldn't really be fair if you kept being matched up with players whose skill level is far inferior to your own, would it?
Quote:
It's quite possible that, as you get better, you're getting paired up against players who are much better too. It wouldn't really be fair if you kept being matched up with players whose skill level is far inferior to your own, would it?
Well obviously, that's what we have CSR for.
But it's not them, it's me.
Quote:
I've noticed playing late at night pairs you with tryhards more often than ever, I typically start getting trashed around then and stop playing.

If you are still having fun with it then I see no problem but if you aren't just try to consciously make smarter decisions. Sometimes I get into the bad habit of rushing headlong into battle because of a mixture of boredom and frustration when it really isn't the smartest way to go about things.
I do the same thing.
In Halo 3, I was terrible with the BR.
So terrible that I'd prefer to use the Magnum, which sucked in Halo 3.

But in Halo Reach, I was great with the DMR.

Should I just stop using the BR and use the DMR/Carbine instead?
Quote:
The best thing you can do to improve your play individually is to focus on improving one facet of your game at a time.

Seems legit
Quote:
Damn. I didn't know Genghis Khan was a gamer! Is he in MLG?!?
There is a quick fix for what i think is your problem.Play Spartan Ops missions solo for heroic on max sensitivity then tone it down a few notches after about 20 minutes or so.What this does is increase the reaction speed and precision of your hand movements.The goal is to achieve consistency so that when you go against players hitting your mark and reacting to their movements becomes second nature.

I don't play Halo 4 anymore but i play MW3, and i play spec ops solo for around 30 minutes by using the method explained above.It works very well i can assure you.Though i did the same thing when i did play Halo 4 and it helped.

If it works, it works.If it doesn't, it doesn't.No harm done.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2