Forums / Games / Halo: Reach and Legacy Halo

I'm not good at Halo anymore

OP PsihoChintek19

So a few days ago, I dug up my old Xbox 360 and hooked it up to play some Halo for old time's sake.

I've been playing quite a bit of Reach matchmaking to find that I suddenly suck at Halo. I don't know if it's a matter of just being a little rusty and getting used to it after not playing for some time, but I don't seem to be able to aim worth a crap anymore, I'm almost always getting my -Yoink- kicked by other players; most of the games I played so far ended with my team losing and me having a negative K/D; I would always have the most deaths; whenever I go after an enemy player to kill them, I run into a group of their teammates and get killed; whenever someone melees me, I don't even have enough time to turn and face them to strike back, they've already meleed me again and killed me, etc etc. Don't get me wrong, I was never exactly MLG material, but I could hold my own against enemy players, and I could easily get 15-20 kills per match or more, depending on the game type. Now, in one of my most recent matches, it took me about 5 minutes into the game to get a single kill, and for the rest of the match, I was getting my -Yoink- whooped by the enemy team even though my team was winning by a lot, until I decided to just quit the match. Then later, I finished a Slayer match with 27 deaths, even though my team won.

I hope I'm not alone here. This is so frustrating, especially when I remember how good I used to be. It's depressing how bad I am. However, I will keep playing and try to improve.
Like most things that require skill, if you leave it alone long enough you'll forget a lot of what used to be second nature such as map layouts, control schemes, sensitivity, recoil, shot pacing, etc. I've found that I start to get rusty after a week or two of not playing a game, let alone months or even years.
I spent a few days trying to get back into Reach after about 5 years of inactivity; it did not go smoothly (and that was just the campaign), so you shouldn't expect to be back at the top of your game in such a short timespan.

Keep in mind that while Reach is new to you again, it probably isn't to those you're playing with and against; they've had plenty of time to hone their skills while yours have faded.

So I wouldn't worry about it too much; you just need to spend some time learning the game again.
It might take a while, but it will come back to you. Just try not to become disheartened; you've got a wall of losses and poor KD/s to chip away at first.
Like most things that require skill, if you leave it alone long enough you'll forget a lot of what used to be second nature such as map layouts, control schemes, sensitivity, recoil, shot pacing, etc. I've found that I start to get rusty after a week or two of not playing a game, let alone months or even years.
I spent a few days trying to get back into Reach after about 5 years of inactivity; it did not go smoothly (and that was just the campaign), so you shouldn't expect to be back at the top of your game in such a short timespan.

Keep in mind that while Reach is new to you again, it probably isn't to those you're playing with and against; they've had plenty of time to hone their skills while yours have faded.

So I wouldn't worry about it too much; you just need to spend some time learning the game again.
It might take a while, but it will come back to you. Just try not to become disheartened; you've got a wall of losses and poor KD/s to chip away at first.
I hope so. I'll keep playing and try to get back to my old skill level again. The thing is, a few years back, there was another period of time where I didn't play Reach for several months, maybe even a year, but I got back into it relatively quickly. But now, it's just absurdly bad, so I felt pretty frustrated. Not to mention that people often use tactics such as spamming armor lock to save themselves from certain death, which really pisses me off. I also have a newfound hatred for the Needler. However, I did have a few good games so far, so I'll keep working on it.

Dee pretty much covered it all.

A lot of the people playing Halo: Reach are players who have stuck with the game since its release. You will find no easy competition on that game.