Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

If Chief had to die, how should it go?

OP STEELBARBER

Master Chief as been an iconic symbol in the gaming world for years. But even icons die and are remembered as being legendary.
So it makes me wonder, how should Chief go out if it was agreed upon by 343 to end his character?

Personally, I would want it in a rated M game and have his death somewhat graphic. Blood everywhere, broken armor, still holding on until the very end. The way Spartan's died in Halo Legends always seemed so badass to me, because it was real, and gritty. I know 343 wants to keep that PG rating, but I hope they aren't too afraid of showing brutal things.
Honestly, I don't think the Chief is going to die. I think the best move for 343i would be to retire the character. Have him walk away from the spotlight of the games and become a side character that pops up occasionally, or bring him back years down the line, much like Sam Fisher.
I wouldn't mind having Chief step down but I see no viable replacement for the face of the series as of yet, maybe a member of blue team? I'm not sure most people have gone through the same journey with those characters that we have with Chief, I'd feel bad for the people who have to craft a new face of the series at this point, and the backlash they'd probably receive.

How would I like him to drop the mantle however? I'd want him to face a near death experience doing [insert action sequence here] and then having him show up in the end-credits scene with more or less the same role as Jun currently has, I don't think you can kill him off without having the audience feeling cheated out of a beloved character for future endeavors.
x N7 117 x wrote:
Honestly, I don't think the Chief is going to die. I think the best move for 343i would be to retire the character. Have him walk away from the spotlight of the games and become a side character that pops up occasionally, or bring him back years down the line, much like Sam Fisher.
This was something that they did at the end of the campaign for Halo 4.
x N7 117 x wrote:
This was something that they did at the end of the campaign for Halo 4.
Yes, and no. While the Chief was sidelined in Halo 5: Guardians to make way for Locke and Fireteam Osiris, it seems that he will once again be taking the spotlight in Halo: Infinite. My comment was meant as a permanent solution rather than a temporary one.
I think he would die in a similar way to Six but with more and higher-ranked Covenant or Prometheans.
x N7 117 x wrote:
That'd be a good idea. Hopefully we can get more Fireteam Osiris & Blue Team action (If 343 could make Locke more charismatic, I bet he'd make for a very interesting character).
I think something like Noble Six's death would work well, but with some key changes so it doesn't feel like a carbon-copy of the ending of Lone Wolf. All alone, fighting for his life, but ultimately losing the battle. It would probably work best as just a cutscene, as, like I said, otherwise it would seem like a lazy rehash of Lone Wolf. I don't think openly killing him would be a smart choice, though; instead 343 should just have him go missing or step down if they really want to get rid of him.
A jackal sniper shoots him.
A jackal sniper shoots him.
That is technically neither a betrayal or suicide as there doesn't exists any encounters in any of the Halo games where Jackal Snipers are friendly AIs.

EDIT: Thought it was a different discussion. However, I wouldn't say that it would be the best decision to kill chief with a random sniper. It should at least be something more meaningful like a sword slice or a suicide grunt.
probebly a fight with atriox
splattered by teammate in warthog because they weren't paying attention.
(the teammate was actually Sgt. Johnson, and he becomes the main character through the rest of the halo games)
Well if 343 were to kill him off, I’m 90% sure that he will be given a “hero’s death”. He would probably die saving people from something. And if anything he would die on a battlefield.
I would say sacrificing his life in a way
(the teammate was actually Sgt. Johnson, and he becomes the main character through the rest of the halo games)
Or cancer as an unseen side-effect of augmentations
Or cancer as an unseen side-effect of augmentations
that was dark