Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Keeping Halo Reach alive

OP FADEDx777

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Anyone wanna play a Halo Reach Customs lobby?
Anyone wanna play a Halo Reach Customs lobby?
I’d be down in an hour or two // TokabowL7ish
UK1V wrote:
FADEDx777 wrote:
Guys, everyone should come together and see if we can keep the original halo reach credit system alive. Lots of people are still trying to grind to the inheritor rank. If they remade halo reach for the new Xbox series where you could keep your old rank and stats, I would buy the game again. Please spread the word. KEEP REACH ALIVE.
I'm hoping to grind inheritor after I get 152 likely within the next couple months. I will have half a year to see how much further I can get (I'm already at Legend).

I would love more time to grind so I ver much support this but I highly doubt it will happen. If there is any way we can make it happen I'm all for it though and you have my support on that front OP.
I straight up will never reach Inheritor lol, I work 60 hours a week at the moment. Even if I put all of my spare time into grinding it out I’m just not far enough into the grind to be able to make a dent before servers are shut off. I’m also half way through HW2 currently.
I'm happy that I have managed to reach the final rank in Halo Reach. However, it will unfortunately be a long and tedious experience for anyone who attempts to reach Inheritor after the matchmaking servers shut down due to significantly lower cR payouts.

On the other hand, I would recommend to at least level 41 (Field Marshall) which shouldn't be too bad in order to have something. One of the main matchmaking playlists for ranking up in Halo Reach is probably Score Attack due to no playlist population requirement in order to find matches.
UK1V wrote:
FADEDx777 wrote:
Guys, everyone should come together and see if we can keep the original halo reach credit system alive. Lots of people are still trying to grind to the inheritor rank. If they remade halo reach for the new Xbox series where you could keep your old rank and stats, I would buy the game again. Please spread the word. KEEP REACH ALIVE.
I'm hoping to grind inheritor after I get 152 likely within the next couple months. I will have half a year to see how much further I can get (I'm already at Legend).

I would love more time to grind so I ver much support this but I highly doubt it will happen. If there is any way we can make it happen I'm all for it though and you have my support on that front OP.
I straight up will never reach Inheritor lol, I work 60 hours a week at the moment. Even if I put all of my spare time into grinding it out I’m just not far enough into the grind to be able to make a dent before servers are shut off. I’m also half way through HW2 currently.
I'm happy that I have managed to reach the final rank in Halo Reach. However, it will unfortunately be a long and tedious experience for anyone who attempts to reach Inheritor after the matchmaking servers shut down due to significantly lower cR payouts.

On the other hand, I would recommend to at least level 41 (Field Marshall) which shouldn't be too bad in order to have something. One of the main matchmaking playlists for ranking up in Halo Reach is probably Score Attack due to no playlist population requirement in order to find matches.
The servers have been down for a few days unfortunately, but when things are working there is still a popular enough grifball and team slayer base to find matches quick enough to get to at least 100k Cr a day with a couple hours of gaming (maybe 3 or 4 hours depending on how good the challenges are for the day).

I am half confident I can make it to inheritor before the final sunset so long the servers get back on and survive long enough to actually make it to december. If I am not full inheritor I would probably still be close, perhaps close enough that offline grinds wouldn't be terrible.

I thought that after the sunset access to rank, armor, ones service record and the ability to level up all together would be disabled. Is that not the case?
UK1V wrote:
FADEDx777 wrote:

The servers have been down for a few days unfortunately, but when things are working there is still a popular enough grifball and team slayer base to find matches quick enough to get to at least 100k Cr a day with a couple hours of gaming (maybe 3 or 4 hours depending on how good the challenges are for the day).

I am half confident I can make it to inheritor before the final sunset so long the servers get back on and survive long enough to actually make it to december. If I am not full inheritor I would probably still be close, perhaps close enough that offline grinds wouldn't be terrible.

I thought that after the sunset access to rank, armor, ones service record and the ability to level up all together would be disabled. Is that not the case?
Yup that's the case. You don't get to keep or even look at any of the stuff you unlock. Once it's shut down everyone is back to default with nothing to show. Ranks gone, customization gone.
UK1V wrote:
FADEDx777 wrote:

Yup that's the case. You don't get to keep or even look at any of the stuff you unlock. Once it's shut down everyone is back to default with nothing to show. Ranks gone, customization gone.
Based on a simple test by playing Halo Reach Offline (no Xbox Live connection), the ranking system and armor customization works exactly like it's intended to work like being able to customize your spartan and get credits which contribute towards your rank. On the other hand, you are unable to access the features like File Share, Matchmaking, Challenges and Commendations.

The most likely thing that will happen when the servers shut down is that you are able to play the game similar to offline mode but being able to sync profile data stored on your Xbox to the profile data stored on the Xbox Cloud servers. When it comes to commendations, I'm uncertain if this feature will break down or if this feature will work when the servers shut down as the functionality of this feature is probably highly dependent on implementation and where the data is stored.
UK1V wrote:
FADEDx777 wrote:

Based on a simple test by playing Halo Reach Offline (no Xbox Live connection), the ranking system and armor customization works exactly like it's intended to work like being able to customize your spartan and get credits which contribute towards your rank. On the other hand, you are unable to access the features like File Share, Matchmaking, Challenges and Commendations.

The most likely thing that will happen when the servers shut down is that you are able to play the game similar to offline mode but being able to sync profile data stored on your Xbox to the profile data stored on the Xbox Cloud servers. When it comes to commendations, I'm uncertain if this feature will break down or if this feature will work when the servers shut down as the functionality of this feature is probably highly dependent on implementation and where the data is stored.
For the last few months I've been laboring under the assumption that I'd keep my armor, emblem, colors, etc. in Reach after the servers went down. I started the game when it came out, playing offline-mode only. My 360 didn't have any kind of internet/Live account or connection, and I was able to still rank up to Brigadier with a LOT of campaign re-playing, firefight, forging, and local custom games. When I first logged the game onto Live some years back, I got reset back to Warrant Officer-ish, lost most of my armor, and had to start the grind again. Now, here's the thing about that:

About a month ago, the servers weren't working at all. No challenges, no multiplayer, my in-game rank was fixed at Recruit, armor was Six's default-Mark V B-in-steel-and-dull-gold-visor. So it appeared in game cutscenes, the menus, everything. I didn't check if my Elite armor was any different from my usual Zealot, so I don't know if it was affected or not. BUT all I had to do was go offline (I just unplugged the internet cable) and lo-and-behold, everything was as I left it before the server screwup. Rank was Major-ish, armor was kitted-out and colored the way it was supposed to be. No provision for challenges, commendations, or online play, of course, but essentially the game worked exactly as it had when I played offline from release date through 2014-15, albeit with the vastly smaller credit payouts the game gives you after connecting to Live.

So unless I'm mistaken about how the game works, and I might well be, I figure all your armor and in-game rank are on the game disk/hard drive itself and not attached to the servers. I still had my Legendary Edition armor pieces (well, the Recon helmet, red flames, and the Elite Officer armor) when I went back to offline mode, as I also had the Military Police trio of helmets. If you can get all the base game's armor, even the rank of Inheritor, solely by playing 100% offline, then surely that means it's not server-dependent? So regardless of the servers shutting down, if you switch your 360 to offline mode, you should still have everything you worked to get, no?

That's what I figured, at least, and have been playing under the assumption of. I hadn't seen the little chart with a red [X] under customization until today. If I'm wrong, I'll be pretty bummed out that I ground all that way only to lose it all permanently...
This is the news I love to hear. It will make getting to inheritor and unlocking that Haunted Helmet all the more worth it. Dont know how the rumour got spread otherwise but I am very glad to hear that we can keep all of our unlocks and progress offline.
This is the news I love to hear. It will make getting to inheritor and unlocking that Haunted Helmet all the more worth it. Dont know how the rumour got spread otherwise but I am very glad to hear that we can keep all of our unlocks and progress offline.
Keep in mind that that was then and... Well, December might be another story. For all we know, 343 might do something to affect in-game progression whether it's online or offline (but I don't see how they could, and that's why it's confusing). But for now? Keep pushing for Inheritor if that's your goal, get the armor you want or need (my armor's perfect as-is but I want a bunch of helmets just for fun), and enjoy the game while it lasts. I'm still confident that we'll be able to keep everything we've worked hard for and deserve, so long as we're in full offline mode, but perhaps we can get some clarification from 343? Has anyone made a thread on that specific subject and/or tabbed a 343 person about it here or on twitter maybe? Could be worth a shot.

Incidentally, there was a post somewhere in this thread (or maybe another one?) that suggested achievements couldn't be unlocked without a connection to the servers. Which simply isn't accurate, unless I'm misunderstanding. Like I said, I played 100% offline for years and I definitely got achievements in Halo 3, ODST, and Reach without having an online connection. Only the campaign-related ones, murdering X number of those silly birds in Reach, getting needler kills (I got all three of the achievements for the Military Police helmet trio by playing offline), and so on, but achievements all the same. So while the servers being down might affect your gameplay, appearance, and possibly achievements when you're trying to play online, simply disconnecting from your network negates that. The down side is, you're limited to solo and splitscreen play, but if the servers will be dead after December anyway, there's not really a loss there.
Do any of you guys know why the servers are still down? Is this them cutting them off earlier than expected?
Do any of you guys know why the servers are still down? Is this them cutting them off earlier than expected?
They aren't being cut early 343 is working on it but apparently its a stubborn outage. Theres a thread in the support forums where 343 had an actual response IIRC. Hopefully its back up soon as I cant wait to jump back on!
@legend777666 thanks for always replying in a timely fashion, your always very helpful and informative.... a true LEGEND ggs
matchmaking servers are back online 🤙
I shall try to
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2