Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Which Halo has the Hardest Campaign (Legendary)?

OP bottledwaltr

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I am certain that Halo has a reputation of having incredibly difficult campaigns (on legendary, anyway).
Though I'm curious about which one had the hardest? What do y'all think?
I would say that it's more or less obvious that Halo 2 has the most difficult campaign on Legendary. This is mainly due to a small player health pool, jackal snipers and few other notorious sections like the Regret fight.
Yeah, I have to go with Halo 2 as well. For me, Halo 3 had some tough sections but not too bad, Reach gave me a hard time, but nothing in comparison to Halo 2 and Halo CE to a lesser extent. I don't think I'll ever go back and play Halo 2 on Legendary 'just for fun' lol.
dryrain23 wrote:
Yeah, I have to go with Halo 2 as well. For me, Halo 3 had some tough sections but not too bad, Reach gave me a hard time, but nothing in comparison to Halo 2 and Halo CE to a lesser extent. I don't think I'll ever go back and play Halo 2 on Legendary 'just for fun' lol.
I have done this few times on Halo 2 Vista and Halo 2 (Pal version) while using the Envy skull glitch. The Envy skull glitch makes a huge difference in terms of the Legendary experience mainly due to infinite clock for Master Chief which means that you have a lot more freedom.
Halo 2 easily.
Halo 2 easily for me as well. After that, I’d go with either CE or Reach. Both games challenge the player in unique ways.
dryrain23 wrote:
Same here. Halo 2 is the only Halo I don’t choose Legendary for a fun playthrough. Still my favorite Halo game by far and away though.
Having finally done the Halo 2 one after all these years to complement the rest of my Legendary runs, I can say that 2 is the hardest. I nearly lost my mind on that thing and Halo 2 was the game I played the most growing up out of the whole series.
Halo 2 obvs is the hardest
I would say that it's more or less obvious that Halo 2 has the most difficult campaign on Legendary. This is mainly due to a small player health pool, jackal snipers and few other notorious sections like the Regret fight.
So true, can be very frustrating at times, heck I havent even collected all the skulls on H2 smh took a brk from it long time ago and havent found the urge to try again.
I am certain that Halo has a reputation of having incredibly difficult campaigns (on legendary, anyway).
Though I'm curious about which one had the hardest? What do y'all think? Halo 2 for meh
Absolutely Halo 2. I have only played Legendary Reach-5 once each. But I played the other 4 many times. That being said, so far I think this is the order of difficulty:
Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo 5 > Halo Reach > Halo 4 > Halo 3 > Halo 3: ODST

I could be wrong for sure, since I only played some of them once, a long time ago.
Either 2 or CE, both are fairly hard.
Halo 2, hands down. The mains reasons being the Jackal Snipers (by far THE most OP thing in any Halo game) and the bullet sponge Brutes and Flood. There's a reason Monopolised is one of the least-earned achievements.

The other games have their moments.

Halo 1 has monotony of The Library and the rocket flood infestation on of Two Betrayals.

Halo 3 has a few sections of The Storm, the AA Wraiths on The Ark and the level Cortana, the ugliest and most confusing level in Halo history.

Halo Reach, while somewhat easy overall, did have the holdout in front of the lab in The Package, and the final section of Exodus where you fight into the villa.

ODST was, again, somewhat easy, but Coastal Highway is tough without a second player in the Warthog (I love you Buck, but you can stop shooting the dead grunts).

Halo 4 has several sections that are tough, most of them involving Prometheans, especially on Shutdown and Midnight (that flying section), but overall the campaign is more annoying than hard.
Halo 2 is the hardest in my opinion.
Halo 4 has several sections that are tough, most of them involving Prometheans, especially on Shutdown and Midnight (that flying section), but overall the campaign is more annoying than hard.
I can 100% agree with this. When I played through this one on MCC (never did it on the 360) I decides I wouldn't do it ever again. I hate the Prometheans in all the 343 games especially the Watchers in Halo 4 they got on my nerves lol.
dryrain23 wrote:
I can 100% agree with this. When I played through this one on MCC (never did it on the 360) I decides I wouldn't do it ever again. I hate the Prometheans in all the 343 games especially the Watchers in Halo 4 they got on my nerves lol.
Indeed, if the Watchers were just a little less durable or could be killed with a simple headshot then they probably wouldn't be as annoying as they are. The teleporting Knights can be rough, too, especially since you can't kill them while they're teleporting, allowing them to regenerate their shields and causing you to waste ammo.
dryrain23 wrote:
Indeed, if the Watchers were just a little less durable or could be killed with a simple headshot then they probably wouldn't be as annoying as they are. The teleporting Knights can be rough, too, especially since you can't kill them while they're teleporting, allowing them to regenerate their shields and causing you to waste ammo.
Yeah that too. I think it was also just so different from what we were used to in the Covenant that it was a shock to the system that they were so much different. I think as time goes on I’ll learn to appreciate Halo 4 and 5 more but to me, they just don’t stack up the original BUNGiE games. After the trailers for Halo Infinite though I’m very excited to see what they come up with. Maybe they’ll have perfected the Prometheans at that point and I’ll enjoy it more.
dryrain23 wrote:
The most positive aspect about Halo 4 is that most of the difficult sections which contains Prometheans can easily be skipped by few different means like 2 of the towers in the mission Shutdown and most of the enemies from the beginning portion of the mission Forerunner. However, in my opinion, the hardest sections of Halo 4 is probably the Banshee section in Forerunner, first time you enter the Teleporter plattform and the exit from the Crawler Alley in Midnight.
Halo 2 by far lol. Have you tried it in co-op? It is EXTREMELY hard. Halo CE was hard with the flood because of the melee rules. And halo 3 is hard certain spots. But if u play halo 3 with the iron skull on, well that is the hardest of any halo games
And try Tsavo Highway with the iron and mythic skulls on. I know that isn’t default campaign but there is no denying that Tsavo Highway is excruciatingly hard with those skulls on (with Legendary on)
Halo 2 by far lol. Have you tried it in co-op? It is EXTREMELY hard. Halo CE was hard with the flood because of the melee rules. And halo 3 is hard certain spots. But if u play halo 3 with the iron skull on, well that is the hardest of any halo games
I would still consider Halo 2 more difficult than Halo 3 despite if you play Halo 3 with the Iron skull active. The main reason is that the effects from the iron skull can easily be circumvented by performing a save and quit. If you didn't wish to perform this trick, there do still exist some relatively consistent strategies which can be used to complete the missions deathless.

Another point is that if you allow the Iron skull to be active, then you can just play the MCC version of Halo 2 with the Iron skull active and it will be even more difficult than Halo 3 with the Iron skull active.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2