Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Let down by MS and BC Halo Reach on Xbox One

OP Richnj

As I'm sure you all know, Red Dead Redemption released as Backward Compatible title for the Xbox One last Friday. It runs great. Better than great. It runs better than it did on the 360. We even saw huge demand for this 6 year old game released in 2010.

The game has been in testing for quite some time too. Showing up on the xbox store accidently quite a few months ago, only to be taken down because it wasn't ready. MS made sure the game run perfectly before releasing it.

In contrast. Halo Reach, another game released in 2010 saw its BC emulation released far too early and still plays worse than it did on the 360. So while it enjoyed a huge population boost on its initial launch, all that buzz and excitement has been sucked out of the game being on the Xbox One.

MCC and Halo Reach BC have just been poorly handled, but doesn't the community deserve more time and effort put in to our games?, and with RDR BC showing us that MS can do great things with the Xbox One BC emulation, isn't it only fair that Halo Reach, currently the only main Halo title to be BC, got an update to at least fix the issues, if not improve on them and make the Xbox One the place to play Halo Reach?.
Sadly, 343i is more focused on Halo 5 Guardians now. I wish they would keep working on patches and fixes for both Reach BC and MCC, but at this point I highly doubt they would shift their attention onto Reach or MCC. Halo 5 is an immensely more played game than the other two, having a population possibly bigger than both Reach and MCC combined. With more and more people making the move to halo 5, working to fix two games that don't receive nearly as many players would be a waste of time, money, and resources. Though I agree, both were badly handled, and the fans deserve better, but at this point i'd rather 343i focus on making Halo 5 the best game it could be, and making Halo 6 as good as Halo 3 was.
343i have nothing to do with Halo Reach BC. MS have a completely separate engineering team that works on the BC games. Fixing MCC is an issue for 343i. Fixing Halo Reach is an issue for MS and their BC team.
It is disappointing yeah but a lot of other games are broken as well I found Gears 3 to be a slideshow while Black ops 1 and Halo Wars were slightly improved. My guess is they will remaster Reach as its so popular even now. The side affect with doing that might kill Halo 5 so kind of a balance from their perspective.
To be honest I thought they were keeping red dead redemption clear of backwards compatibility so that they could release it as definitive edition. Anyway the xbox one doesn't handle reach very well, every time I jump on the movement feels off, and I can't seem to aim properly like the camera is moving too quickly for my liking. They need to remaster reach for the xbox 1 because multiplayer and campaign now feel weird to play. They could put in all the dlc maps and could kind of make a competitive and ranking system just to please people. I would love this to happen, but I guess Halo 6 will be the main priority for 343.
but I guess Halo 6 will be the main priority for 343.
343i don't even do the remasters. Saber Interactive have handled Halo CEA and Halo 2A. Ruffian Games handled the enhanced ports of Halo 3 and Halo 4 for the MCC (which is all Halo Reach needs) and Certain Affinity handled the H2A MP.

They could easily do this;

Saber Interactive - Halo 3A Campaign
Certain Affinity - Halo 3A Multiplayer
Ruffian Games - Halo Reach: Xbox One Edition
MS BC Team - Halo Reach BC

Not saying they should or will do this. I'm just saying that 343i don't have to touch anything as far as remasters, enhanced ports or fixing the BC emulations is concerned.

The side affect with doing that might kill Halo 5 so kind of a balance from their perspective.
People can have their Halo 5 and Halo 6, but this should be for the players that don't enjoy the direction 343i have taken.
Halo reach runs so bad on Xbox one for me, it is almost unplayable. In matchmaking it lags so much until I am down to 3-4 frames-per-second. And my 360 don't work properly, so halo reach is a game I am unlikely to play. Which makes me sad, because it is my favorite halo game.
Richnj wrote:
but I guess Halo 6 will be the main priority for 343.
343i don't even do the remasters. Saber Interactive have handled Halo CEA and Halo 2A. Ruffian Games handled the enhanced ports of Halo 3 and Halo 4 for the MCC (which is all Halo Reach needs) and Certain Affinity handled the H2A MP.

They could easily do this;

Saber Interactive - Halo 3A Campaign
Certain Affinity - Halo 3A Multiplayer
Ruffian Games - Halo Reach: Xbox One Edition
MS BC Team - Halo Reach BC

Not saying they should or will do this. I'm just saying that 343i don't have to touch anything as far as remasters, enhanced ports or fixing the BC emulations is concerned.

The side affect with doing that might kill Halo 5 so kind of a balance from their perspective.
People can have their Halo 5 and Halo 6, but this should be for the players that don't enjoy the direction 343i have taken.
Yeah I agree but it's not their agenda. They don't care about the old core Halo fans and made it completely apparent by removing the player count on Reach and not fixing MCC.
343i want to directly focus on h5, they don't care about anything else
I've tried about 5 times today trying to get Reach to load on my XBOne. It just isn't working. Brings me back to the frickin' home menu again.
I've tried about 5 times today trying to get Reach to load on my XBOne. It just isn't working. Brings me back to the frickin' home menu again.
Same thing for me since 7/7. Makes me a little upset, just started this account last month and don't have a 360 anymore.
Keep in mind this is all emulation. Taking apart old engines and re-coding everything from the ground up to hopefully work for future generation on newer software that it wasn't even intended to work for. Not all games are guarantee to even work with emulation unless to coding is complete and successful and even then new bugs can occur.

Its all a process of testing and elimination. If anything we should be giving more credit to the BC teams for attempting. I agree that they should take it back to the drawing board though to hopefully fix it.

XO
Sad but true. I wish they would fix it but they tend to focus on Halo 5...