Forums / Games / Halo: Reach and Legacy Halo

Let's Talk About Them Gold Hunters.

OP x N7 117 x

For those who need a memory refresh or for those who do not know what I am on about (I myself only remembered them after encountering one again last night), they are pretty much a different variant of Hunter. Instead of the regular blue and grey we are so used to seeing throughout the Halo games, these ones are covered in gold armour and can only be found in Halo 3: ODST (whether they are in the campaign or not, I cannot remember. I encountered them in Firefight).

What I am interested in knowing is why they only appear in this one game. Is there a canonical explanation like the Skirmishers in Halo: Reach? Or did Bungie just forget about/drop them?
From my understanding, gold Hunters are Hunters of a different rank. They also fire their weapons like the CE Hunters, which is to say in bursts as opposed to the "streams" the blue Hunters in H2 and H3 fire. I recall them being in campaign as well though.

As far as canon goes, I'm curious to know the real reason. I can venture a guess. You know how ODST takes place between H2 and H3? We get to see this weird mish-mash of H2 and H3 as far as locations and squads go. I wonder if Bungie threw in these different Hunters as a shoutout to CE and to give players a familiar but slightly different enemy to fight.

Another thing that comes to mind is how their weapons fire in bursts instead of streams. With streams, the Hunters progressively ran down a player's shields and could be avoided by jumping around. That's far more involving than a one-shot burst I think. But, there are no shields in ODST, so the burst Hunters could be used again. I know, stamina is basically the ODST equivalent of shields, but I'm spouting ideas here is all.
HCE had a Hunter Major variant, but it shared the same biped as regular Hunters. It was practically indistinguishable, perhaps being slightly darker. The main difference was in it's health and firing rate.

I think with ODST, Bungie wanted to mix up the encounters.
I would guess that Bungie decided to color the Hunters which fire Fuel Rod Gun shots gold in order to make it easier for the players to identify this Hunter variant from the Hunter variant which fires a beam.
I never really paid attention to this detail. I'll have to play ODST again and check it out.
I’m highly intrigued! I’m finding these ASAP, mate.
Another interesting thing is the drone ranks in ODST there are shielded drones that carry plasma rifles in ODST.
Another interesting thing is the drone ranks in ODST there are shielded drones that carry plasma rifles in ODST.
Ah, yes. They never make another appearance either. It is very interesting that Bungie only added these variants to Firefight but didn't bother to add some lore, however tiny.
x N7 117 x wrote:
Ah, yes. They never make another appearance either. It is very interesting that Bungie only added these variants to Firefight but didn't bother to add some lore, however tiny.
I think one appears in data hive on legendary at the very end of the bugger section.
I'm playing through ODST again soon, looking forward to running into them :D Like yourself, I had completely forgotten about their existence?! Haha
You can actually find one of them by playing Tayari Plaza on Legendary. Not sure if this happens every time, but usually one is blue and the other gold.