2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. ...
  8. 10
Quote:
A 1-50 ranking system with a playlist split of ranked/social would be ideal.
Oh, but there will be cheaters/boosters!? Oh no!!!

Seriously, that's the reason 343 won't make it. Isn't that a shame?
Quote:
Quote:
If you're going to argue in favor of Ranks, do it right.

That means:
    [/li]
  • Don't tell people what is fun and what isn't.
  • Don't be aggressive unless otherwise provoked.
  • Support your opinion with something substantial.
I support ranks. However, I don't think they should envelope what we currently have available. Instead, an optional "ranked" playlist with Ranked Team Slayer and Ranked Team Doubles (etc.) should be implemented. That way, people who don't like the pressure potentially experienced in ranked games can simply play "Social" games much the same as they do now.

Also, ranks should be visible. This way, you can witness your progression first hand and be rewarded for your hard work. I don't understand the logic behind allowing CSR to only be available to check on Waypoint. It just seems inconvenient. Who wants to be bothered to log in to Waypoint every time they want to check a certain rank or see if they ranked up after a game?
Great post. Quoting in full because I agree completely.
Hm, I wonder where we've seen this before? Oh, that's right: Halo 3!!!!!!!

Seriously if you aren't old enough to handle ranked, social is right there for you.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That means:
    [/li]
I support ranks. However, I don't think they should envelope what we currently have available. Instead, an optional "ranked" playlist with Ranked Team Slayer and Ranked Team Doubles (etc.) should be implemented. That way, people who don't like the pressure potentially experienced in ranked games can simply play "Social" games much the same as they do now.

Also, ranks should be visible. This way, you can witness your progression first hand and be rewarded for your hard work. I don't understand the logic behind allowing CSR to only be available to check on Waypoint. It just seems inconvenient. Who wants to be bothered to log in to Waypoint every time they want to check a certain rank or see if they ranked up after a game?
Hm, I wonder where we've seen this before? Oh, that's right: Halo 3!!!!!!!

Seriously if you aren't old enough to handle ranked, social is right there for you.
Drop the attitude. You're not going to sway anybody that way.

But yes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a visible skill rank in the game. Players do not want to have to check waypoint after every match just to see if they went up/down.

Having a visible skill based rank is essential for longevity. Would I have played H3 for 3 whole years if there wasn't a slew of ranked modes for me to progress through? No.

A game cannot sustain itself solely on playing randoms game after game. Eventually, just like any game on the face of the planet, it's competetive. You play to win, and you're trying to see how you stack up against the competition.

It's not an e-peen contest, it's a personal progression system to give you a goal to work towards. Incentive to step up your game, make friends, and play solid matches while trying your best to win.

That's what gaming is about, and a visible skill rank supports that.
I would like a ranking system involving true skill. Whether that be 1-50 or something else. I think each playlist should get a ranked/social version. It might split the playlist up a bit, but that's ok. As long as each person gets to play what they want.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members. This includes stat-flaming.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Quote:
Quote:
Nice 0.85 k/d LMFAO!

I don't need a ranking system to belittle you.
No one cares. Shut up.
Very interesting suggestion. I don't anyone has suggested this before, and I think this is the best way to get it to happen.
Quote:
Quote:
See this is the problem with gamers today. They are too soft.

I am in favor of ranks, I don't have a 50, and I can handle a little Yoink! talking. There is just as much Yoink! talking in any game, ranks or not. No 1-50 doesn't = no Yoink! talkers.

Its time to do away with stat tracking and skill rankings? Why? Because there's a system in place telling you that you aren't the best, and you can't handle it? I have no problem being told i'm not the best, i'm a big boy and I can handle it. I guess we should remove high scores from arcades, and achievement points over Xbox we don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

As for no stat tracking and skill rankings on the days of CE. Its because its not online. Why would you need stats when you can only play split screen or LAN? Whats going to stop people playing against 3 people by themselves to boost stats? If Halo CE was online it would of had them.

You need to understand why ranks are necessary to add longevity to the game. Why its better to have them when you want to play competitively, why its good to have ranked and social playlists to separate tryhard from casual play. I could write a laundry list of why ranks benefit any competitive game.

So instead of complaining about a rank system, because you can't handle a system or person telling you that you aren't the best. Have an open mind and see the benefits from it. Even if you don't play ranked, there will always be a social playlist in place. That's what this game is now. Just one social playlist, and the number of players have been drastically decreasing since the day Halo 4 launched, and that's a fact.
That sums it up. Thank you!
This and this.
Quote:
Quote:
^^ communist?

My quick 2 cents:
MILLIONS are begging for a rank system/playlists...people who will buy or not buy DLC based JUST on this. Virtually no one (besides mr. ussr up there) would be upset by a SEPERATE list so we can do what we want, play ranked if u want, or not.
What? How is anything I said communist? I have literally made not a single comment about the Ranked stuff.
He was calling me a communist for my post but I don't believe he read enough to see that I was joking.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That means:
    [/li]

It's not an e-peen contest, it's a personal progression system to give you a goal to work towards. Incentive to step up your game, make friends, and play solid matches while trying your best to win.

That's what gaming is about, and a visible skill rank supports that.
This pretty much summarizes the misconception about skill "ranks".

Your Halo 3 1-50 rank was based on your TrueSkill rating. The only purpose of TrueSkill is arranging fair, balanced matches. It is NOT a rating of your ability to play Halo. A high TrueSkill rating simply means that a mathematical formula has determined your potential for being on the winning side of a match. Players with a high potential need to be playing with and against other players with the same potential, and the same goes for players with a low potential. Having a 50 does not mean you always win, just that you are more likely to win than a 25. It doesn't even mean that you will always beat a 25. It means that a team of 45's and 50's should beat a team of 25's and 30's, so that would be a bad match.

When you "ranked up" in Halo 3, most of you took that as a "reward" for playing better, when in fact in your last match you "beat the odds" when your team defeated a team you were not likely to beat. Your individual performance was lumped in with your team's performance, then your TrueSkill rating was adjusted so that you would be better matched in the next game. You may have, in fact, not improved at all.

This whole TrueSkill rating thing only works when the people being rated are the people that earned their rating. When someone that has achieved a high TrueSkill rating sells or gives that account to someone that cannot play at that level, TrueSkill then makes calculations with bad data. The only people not affected by that are the people at the top and the people at the bottom. That's why those of you who were at the top don't see a problem.

It's not about trash talking or embarrassment. It's about the integrity of TrueSkill, which is essential for fair, balanced matches.

If there is a skill rank that is tied to TrueSkill that is also visible in-game, your high rank account becomes a valuable commodity and people will sell those accounts, and that will be the end of accurate TrueSkill, and the only people that will truly enjoy Halo will be the 50's. The rest will struggle wondering why they can't "get better."

I'm not making this stuff up. You guys know this is true. You're just betting that you can get to the top before the carnage starts, then you can claim that the rest can't get where you are because they're not good enough. That's why Bungie nipped that crap in the bud with Reach, and why 343i kept that crap out in Halo 4.

From now on, in order to get better, you have to be better. Your "skill rank" will be visible to you if you want to check your "progress". Yes, you'll have to look it up. If it's worth knowing, it's worth looking for.

PS: Also stop saying that casuals got everything they wanted and competitives need VSR to even the score. Nobody asked for all this stuff you say we got. There were no 40 page threads demanding progressive rank or armor modifications. No one asked for AA's or bloom. This stuff just happened and wouldn't be missed if taken away. Everyone wants fair, even, balanced matches. A visible-in-game rank tied to TrueSkill would make that impossible.

A visible-in-game rank NOT tied to TrueSkill would be PERFECTLY FINE, if such a thing were possible.
You kids and your stringed carrots. Just keep chasing.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
^^ communist?

My quick 2 cents:
MILLIONS are begging for a rank system/playlists...people who will buy or not buy DLC based JUST on this. Virtually no one (besides mr. ussr up there) would be upset by a SEPERATE list so we can do what we want, play ranked if u want, or not.
What? How is anything I said communist? I have literally made not a single comment about the Ranked stuff.
He was calling me a communist for my post but I don't believe he read enough to see that I was joking.
He should probably learn to use the menu and reply system then.
Kid with the long elaborate post above me, basically complained about de-rankers and account buyers for a page and half.

Fact of the matter is, if you were good enough to get a 50, you would have. Team doubles by yourself. Easy enough.
Quote:
Quote:
Halo 3 had the problem of some playlists not being social. In Halo 3 (and 4) I LOVE Swat. But I had to stick to ranked because it wasn't offered in Social. Make every playlist ranked and give us the option of hiding the 1-50, and it would be excellent.
I would submit that the "option to hide" would also be extremely fertile ground for -Yoink!--hattery:

Dumb Kid: "You suck and stuff!"
Me: "We've never played a match together. Ever"
DK: "You must be bad because you chose to hide your rank! ROFLXORZ!"

Obviously, you can never completely eliminate an -Yoink!--hat's potential to be a -Yoink!-, but you can minimize it.

And really, there's only one reason you or I or anyone else would want other people to see our ranks: to show off. That's it.

I don't like showoffs. They are not people I wish to associate myself with.
Game is rated M +17... If someone is talking mess, gird your loins/ pick up your bootstraps/ put your try hard pants on and win! And or hit the yoinking mute button. There is no reason for you to accept their friend requests and " associate" with them.

And if you lose and find that it hurts your feelings... Don't play. However, if you are the type that loads up theater to see what happened and ask yourself " how did I lose and how do I improve my performance" then welcome, you just started playing Halo.

All this "I came to have fun and not stress" mentality is ridiculous.. so you participate in simulated combat?
This game was made for 8 year olds. Even though the biggest target market for gaming is 18-24. Anything that tells anyone that they are worse than anyone else will not be in the game.
Support a Full skilled ranking system - Official thread - https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst135168_1-50-Competitive-Skill-Rank-Official-Thread.aspx
I'm with you, OP. I see no logical reason why the 1-50 system shouldn't be in the game.

The main reason why Halo 3 was number one for 3 years is because of the 1-50 system. If you lost, your playlist skill went down, and if you won, you would gain skill in addition to EXP. People wanted to keep playing to get a higher skill. I also liked getting matched with people at about my skill level.

Halo 4 needs a 1-50 to gain more competitive players.
100% Support This Thread
Quote:
Because it severely hampered Halo 3's community.

In my opinion, we need to do away with the stat tracking and skill rankings and go back to the days of CE, where it was about action and fun.
QFT

The visible 1 - 50 system is largely responsible for the poor state of the community.

A return to that system would bring with it a massive increase in quitting, cheating, hiding, griefing, verbal abuse and forum trolling.

Even the Waypoint only rank will surely mark a return to the "You're only rank X, your opinion is invalid" type arguments. Hell, there's already an equivalent: Rainbow Dash was 88 was trolled a few posts back because of his (or her) favourite weapon and playlist.
we (well i do anyway) need this not just because its more competitive but because its was so enjoyable in the old halo's

singed
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. ...
  8. 10