5. 9
  6. ...
  7. 10
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope.
Why are you against the 1 - 50? I want to have a civil conversation about this.
Because it severely hampered Halo 3's community.

If you were a 49 or below you were 'bad'. If you used the AR you were 'bad', as my friend up there just so beautifully demonstrated.

In my opinion, we need to do away with the stat tracking and skill rankings and go back to the days of CE, where it was about action and fun.

And about seeing how far you could launch an invincible Warthog.
"Because I don't play it, nobody should be allowed to play it"
^Is how I read your comment.

Stat tracking and skill rankings only matter if you value them. I personally enjoy playing competetively and want 1-50 ingame etc etc. If you don't, then play social and don't worry about your 1-50 skill, nobody is asking you to care.

I play competitive, but I don't try to stop people from having fun their way, see what I mean? What's wrong with having 1-50 as long as you can have social playlists too...
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope.

If you were a 49 or below you were 'bad'. If you used the AR you were 'bad', as my friend up there just so beautifully demonstrated.

In my opinion, we need to do away with the stat tracking and skill rankings and go back to the days of CE, where it was about action and fun.

And about seeing how far you could launch an invincible Warthog.
So you don't want the game to be Live compatible? Want to deal with XBC? There is nothing wrong with implementing the 1-50 ranking system.

By not having a ranking system, everyone's overall experience online diminishes. Now, casuals and hardcore players alike are thrown into the same hopper. That isn't fun for either party.

Also, having the number ranking system, which is visible, promotes the longevity of the game.
Agreed.

But tbh it's also good because it's not something every little screaming kid can get his hands on.
There where quite a few halo 3 50s
But compare them to 40s
Much rarer IMO
Quote:
This whole TrueSkill rating thing only works when the people being rated are the people that earned their rating. When someone that has achieved a high TrueSkill rating sells or gives that account to someone that cannot play at that level, TrueSkill then makes calculations with bad data. The only people not affected by that are the people at the top and the people at the bottom. That's why those of you who were at the top don't see a problem.
The fact that a very tiny amount of the population was buying and selling accounts in Halo 3 is an exaggerated problem. It hardly affected anyone else. In fact, people who paid for their level 50 accounts just looked stupid, because when you played against them you could tell immediately that they didn't truly have the skill of a level 50, and the people who bought those level 50 accounts never had the guts to actually play in the playlist where they supposedly earned it, because if they ever did, they'd get pwned against legit 50s and fall in rank anyway. So the buying and selling of accounts is a poor reason to prevent everyone else from being able to have ranked playlists with visible CSR.
Agree, and if any of you halo 4 fanboy's have not seen the numbers yet, this game will be dead if 343i does not implement a game changing ranking system or update soon. Halo 4 has already lost more than 70% of its players, it will keep climbing if these casual, ar/bolt shot loving noobs get their way.
People that are against a 1-50 skill based ranking system Listen:

Is it that frustrating to be called 'bad' or 'insert -Yoink--hole remark here'? Is it so frustrating that you can't sleep at night? Honestly if you can't take a rude remark about your 'skill' than why do you play this game? Believe me it still happens with or without a ranking system.

If you really think that this is hurting you it's not. What will hurt you is if we don't get one and you will still have to deal with people calling you bad, if we did get one then guess what? You can be a lvl 1 all you want and not have to deal with us. Congrats, you won't have to talk to us again. If we don't get a 1-50 ranking system then it is Reach allover again, which means another failure.

What did H2 have? 1-50 Ranking system
What did H3 have? 1-50 Ranking system
What did Reach have? True skill system

Ranking system = Success in the game.
Visible Ranking System = Success

Are you really that self conscious about your rank? It's there to MAKE YOU BETTER. And if you don't want to get better than that's your choice. Since when was getting better a bad thing?

Long story short;
People that are against it; grow some balls. And you don't have a solid reason of why not?
Its not made to hurt any1 it's there to help people
Visual ranking system is important to cause more involvement on winning.
There should still be Un-ranked playlist
Creates a visual skill gap and gets people that want to be better, better
And people that could care less can play with people of there same mentality
Quote:
Quote:
This whole TrueSkill rating thing only works when the people being rated are the people that earned their rating. When someone that has achieved a high TrueSkill rating sells or gives that account to someone that cannot play at that level, TrueSkill then makes calculations with bad data. The only people not affected by that are the people at the top and the people at the bottom. That's why those of you who were at the top don't see a problem.
The fact that a very tiny amount of the population was buying and selling accounts in Halo 3 is an exaggerated problem. It hardly affected anyone else. In fact, people who paid for their level 50 accounts just looked stupid, because when you played against them you could tell immediately that they didn't truly have the skill of a level 50, and the people who bought those level 50 accounts never had the guts to actually play in the playlist where they supposedly earned it, because if they ever did, they'd get pwned against legit 50s and fall in rank anyway. So the buying and selling of accounts is a poor reason to prevent everyone else from being able to have ranked playlists with visible CSR.
Again, if you were playing on a high ranked account (that you earned) you didn't notice. The fake 50's in your games were quickly eliminated. The problem was that as that fake 50 worked his way back down to where he should be he screwed up the TrueSkill calculations for everyone else below 50. TrueSkill had to figure out why this guy that was so awesome suddenly didn't know which end of the controller to use, and people that shouldn't be able to beat him were mopping the floor with his butt. Those people ranked up under false pretenses, screwing up TrueSkill even more. Meanwhile, the guy that sold the account wants another 50, so TrueSkill has to figure out what to do with this guy that has such amazing performance for a guy that never played the game before. For that reason, people at the bottom suffered.

If the problem was so insignificant, why has this ranking system not returned? So bad kids won't be embarrased? Who cares. So people won't brag? So what. Because 343i doesn't like competitive players? Maybe.

Or because Microsoft want TrueSkill to be reliable? Yes. THAT'S THE REASON. THE ONLY REASON.
Quote:

Is it that frustrating to be called 'bad' or 'insert -Yoink!--hole remark here'? Is it so frustrating that you can't sleep at night? Honestly if you can't take a rude remark about your 'skill' than why do you play this game? Believe me it still happens with or without a ranking system.

If you really think that this is hurting you it's not. What will hurt you is if we don't get one and you will still have to deal with people calling you bad, if we did get one then guess what? You can be a lvl 1 all you want and not have to deal with us. Congrats, you won't have to talk to us again. If we don't get a 1-50 ranking system then it is Reach allover again, which means another failure.

Are you really that self conscious about your rank? It's there to MAKE YOU BETTER. And if you don't want to get better than that's your choice. Since when was getting better a bad thing?

Long story short;
People that are against it; grow some balls. And you don't have a solid reason of why not?

Speaking as someone against going back to the 1-50; it's not the whole "you suck" thing that bothered me with that system. It was the fact that you couldn't achieve the "symbolic ranks" without it. A lot of people may not give a -Yoink- about the little symbols, but there were also a lot that did. Who wants to be stuck at Staff Captain, Field Major, Strike Commander, Force Colonel, etc? If they bring back the 1-50 system, don't bring it back with the symbol ranks, and if they do bring back the symbol ranks, allow both casual and tryhards to achieve it.
Signed

Bring back something worth earning. I didn't play Halo 2 to brag about my ranking, I didn't take joy or pride in a number. I played because there was something at stake. Something that within the Halo universe meant something to others in the Halo universe.

To those saying that they didn't like being considered not good enough due to a lower rank, consider that the rank did mean something. Just because you didn't like what you heard or saw doesn't make the truth any less true.

Imagine poker games without anything to lose or win, just playing poker for the fun of it. How fun is it? It's the pursuit of a prize that drives a player. Imagine NFL without championships to determine who is the champion because we don't want another team to think they are losers or are not good enough.

An intrinsical part of a game is the competition between two or more players for a goal or prize. Without that, playing the game is no where near the nail biter it can be.
I agree
I loved it when people came on in ranked to see a full set of mics both sides. You knew -Yoink- was gonna be said and if you didn't wonna hear it, it was " HURRY DA FAQ UP AND BACK OUT NOW! "
Lol

But if you won SOme people knew you where good
And even if you payed them out
30 seconds later you have a friend request
From someone who knows your good
And is probably a worthy challenge to you aswell
Quote:
Speaking as someone against going back to the 1-50; it's not the whole "you suck" thing that bothered me with that system. It was the fact that you couldn't achieve the "symbolic ranks" without it. A lot of people may not give a Yoink! about the little symbols, but there were also a lot that did. Who wants to be stuck at Staff Captain, Field Major, Strike Commander, Force Colonel, etc? If they bring back the 1-50 system, don't bring it back with the symbol ranks, and if they do bring back the symbol ranks, allow both casual and tryhards to achieve it.
You shouldn't be allowed to casually win a superbowl, you shouldn't casually be allowed to win anything worth acheiving. It should take drive, practice, and determination to be ranked in the top of anything. Just because the world has Kardashians, doesn't mean Halo's ranking system should.
Quote:
Support a Full skilled ranking system - Official thread - https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst135168_1-50-Competitive-Skill-Rank-Official-Thread.aspx
Never saw that thread. Just posted in it. The more the merrier
This NEEDS to be in the game. It's a large part of why Halo has such a large competitive cult following (which is dwindling now)
I'd suggest adding in a 1-50 system similar to Halo 2's (not 3), give players the option of making theirs visible or not, and then also keep the progression system.

So that way, both casuals and proper competitives (those who don't belittle others based on rank) win.
Quote:

Is it that frustrating to be called 'bad' or 'insert -Yoink!--hole remark here'? Is it so frustrating that you can't sleep at night? Honestly if you can't take a rude remark about your 'skill' than why do you play this game? Believe me it still happens with or without a ranking system.

Long story short;

Getting butthurt is a personal problem, ranking system is the success this game needs
It should be viable just like every other stat or Rank
I say NO.

Countersigned, olanmills

I don't care if you think I suck at Halo or am insecure or whatever it is you think.

Some people want rank visible, and some do not, both sides have their reasons.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope.

Exactly.
To anyone saying no to a 1-50 system, I ask this: did you consider matchmaking being divided into ranked and social? That way, anyone who wants to see their playlist skill and bump it up can play ranked, and those who don't can go to social.
I just don't understand why 1-50 is hated so much.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. ...
  7. 10