Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Mantis betrayels. What's the point?

OP XxKillerNomadxX

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So I have now seen some of the most childish gamers in history. Right here in Halo.

Playing Crimson DLC. I turn towards my base and sitting there is a brand new Mantis. "Ohh yay" I think to myself. Finally get to use this thing. No one seems to be around it. I run to it. I jump in and bam. Plasma grenade is stuck to it. I think what are the odds an enemy is near me already. No wait its not an enemy its a wittle baby crying that he doesn't get to play with the new toy.

Sorry I got here first. Besides what is the point? You can't forcably remove me from it. I am not just going to succumb to your tantrum and give it to you. At least when people betray others for power weapons there is an outcome where you get the weapon that they have. In this scenerio when you kill me the mantis is destroyed so you don't get it either way. So again what is the point? If you want it that badly sit by the spawn point and wait for it to respawn. Sure your team is now down a player and will probably loose but you don't seem to care about your team anyway so what does it matter.

I betrayed the little jerk two or three times and then he shot me enough to allow the other team to destroy the mantis. So infuriating. Worst thing is when the thing respawned he ended up with it. Bet his parents hate him and wishes he was never born.

TLDR Quit being babies when you don't get the mantis. Wait for the next one.
get better teammates
The truth is, the Mantis is just a mobile power weapon. And it's often the only way to manage a situation. *looks at Shootout in Valhalla*

In the campaign, you're actually safer on foot or in a tank... unless you camp.
Challenges + vehicles = Call for BKs.

Leave the game and search again, now with JIP is free. Its halo now. :(
This is crtical design issue. Look at game like Battlefield 3 where vehicles are spawned and when taken, there is no friendly damage or collision with teammates. Thus forcing other players either wait to get the vehicles when they spawn next time. Problem solved, never complained

I started playing Halo 4 and I am "Yay Mantis" ... Plasma pistol charge the hell out and I am like fine have it.

Add to this thread, why does team slayer have friendly fire off while other playlist, they are on. I understand you want to mix things up and make challenge, but I am getting team grenade killed and rockets and incineration cannoned. 343i I urge you to balance vehicle gameplay and friendly damage.
There is no point. There is no point in trolling/griefing in any sense.

Blame 343i for not having the common sense of turning off FF on vehicles.
Horrid teammates, what are you going to do?
Actually, taking Friendly Fire off vehicles would help.
Quote:

I blame the parents for not slapping their kid around the back of their head and saying no to them often enough.
Best part is that if this happens, just stomp on that -Yoink- of a team mate, for some reason it doesn't count as a betrayal :D
Quote:
Quote:

I blame the parents for not slapping their kid around the back of their head and saying no to them often enough.
I'm not sure we can hold their parents responsible for incompetence in video games lol.
I've dealt with the same problem when i try and relax and play BTB or some other more social playlist. It seems as if there are a few options:

A) Turn friendly fire off on BTB and almost all playlists. I dont think this will happen because then how can there be films of hilarious betrays and such? (playing devils advocate)

B) quitting a perfectly fine game due to bad teammates (we all hate doing this and it waists time)

C) Giving the *bleep* the freaking mantis (and other vehicles). Thus giving into their childish agendas (yeah this isn't going to happen haha)

or..

D)Dieing with the vehicle and maybe getting the option to boot. This is important, perhaps 343i could make the betrayal kick option more common? I feel as if this is the best option to kick unwanted players from the game.

Overall guys, Halo is notorious for it's bad teammates - we've all had our fair share. But I personally feel as if the kick option were more common this issue could be taken care of at first strike. Alos, send in a frowny face for their XBL accounts so you dont get to play with them again and their rep goes down (but thats another bugged problem)

Happy slaying

Edit: Also I just remembered back to COD Big Red 1 where they had the option to "veto" teammates off the team. Think this would work for Halo?
They all sound like really good ideas...

...343i Will surely avoid them like the plague.
Quote:

Yeah, its annoying when some sore loser who would likely get detsroyed in any 'power' vehicle, has a cry and blows up their teammates vehcile and causes them to lose...

I can see why FF on for vehicles has occurred, because 343 didn't have a public beta. Its not as if the 343 team is going to go around blowing up their teammates vehicles is it? Just another oversight form 343, wouldn't have half the issues, like OP boltshots, OP, bullet magnetism and crappy lag if theyd gone with a public beta...

Turn off FF for vehicles in multiplayer and Spartan Ops, and you'll solve two problems at once.

As a side note, if someone in a game is purposely tyring to make the team lose, or driving around an enemy in a guass (Like in reach), maybe a boot vote systme could be introduced, where if over half the team vote to boot them, they get booted? Any ideas on this?
agreed, 343i has a lot on their plate from server issues, to nerfing weapons, to Ford's promotional advertisements to playlist options, to promoting their game to making the next one this issue of team betrayals will without a doubt be at the end of the list of stuff to do. But it is an issue... another one.
And on the topic of a more common boot option, personally if you get betrayed, give them the 'betrayee' an option to boot, first time, but also show a clip of how they were betrayed. That way the 'betrayee' can decide if it was accidental or intentional.
Personally iff you have FF off for player, but not for vehciles, it shows someone isn't thinking. It's either on overall, or off overall.
Not sure which is better though, betrayal in Halo, especially grifball, is part of the game after all...
To vote to get someone kicked from a game is tricky because multiple scenarios can play out to where players get upset for being kicked for unfair reasons. For example, a low scoring teammate gets kicked.

They could make it to where it has to be a unanimous team vote but even then since you can join with a party partys could just kick unwanted players or nuesances. This is why the idea was scratched for COD BR1 (like mentioned above). The betrayal - boot method is more common nowadays.
This happens to me almost every time I get into a Mantis. Takes the fun out of the game not to mention there's on way to punish the little punk that causes you to get killed. Tired of these little babies!
Good point
Quote:
So I have now seen some of the most childish gamers in history. Right here in Halo.

You're only NOW noticing this?
Quote:
Best part is that if this happens, just stomp on that Yoink! of a team mate, for some reason it doesn't count as a betrayal :D
Actually, it does, most of the time. And yes, I had no less than three incidents of idiots shooting or sticking grenades on me because I was faster on my feet and got to the Mantis first. Freaking idiots. If it's the achievement they're after, it's all a matter of patience, you'll eventually get it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2