Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Marty O'Donnell - "This isn't Halo 1"

OP DaffodilCow9876

"THIS ISN'T HALO 1, IT NEEDS TO PLAY LIKE THE ORIGINAL XBOX" - Marty said it himself.

Let me ask you something. Do these new fancy skins for weapons and customization matter if the game doesn't even play like the original? Sorry but I'm tired, I can't believe CE is getting new stuff that wasn't there before while everything gearbox ruined continues to exist... 17 years and 2 rereleases away. Not to mention, this is the definitive proof I needed to leave CE on the collection alone, because it confirms no matter how much they change it, having it play like the classic game I used to know is never happening. I'll be on xlink kai if you ever wanna play it.
"THIS ISN'T HALO 1, IT NEEDS TO PLAY LIKE THE ORIGINAL XBOX" - Marty said it himself.

Let me ask you something. Do these new fancy skins for weapons and customization matter if the game doesn't even play like the original? Sorry but I'm tired, I can't believe CE is getting new stuff that wasn't there before while everything gearbox ruined continues to exist... 17 years and 2 rereleases away. Not to mention, this is the definitive proof I needed to leave CE on the collection alone, because it confirms no matter how much they change it, having it play like the classic game I used to know is never happening. I'll be on xlink kai if you ever wanna play it.
I don’t understand the fuss, If u like the classic games play them if u don’t like CEA MCCs version get the original CEA for the 360 and play that
all 343i is doing is being creative

I don’t understand the fuss, If u like the classic games play them if u don’t like CEA MCCs version get the original CEA for the 360 and play that
I refer you to this very well-worded post.

EDIT: It seems like I should have been more clear. I mean that it's not really fair to suggest someone should play the old games since they are now dated and don't have newer features such as Xbox Live multiplayer.
tuhin94 wrote:

Thanks mate
tuhin94 wrote:

And I thought my jokes were bad...
Maybe you didn't go to the link so I'll simplify it for you. 2014, I am promised "THE GAME EXACTLY AS I REMEMBER IT". I get rid of all the old gear, and then I get this. What happened? If you buy a box of cigarretes and it comes full of sand instead, and the creator of that cigarrete brand agrees with you, then it's illogical to complain. That's what you are saying, right?

Let's play a game, why don't you go to my first link and comment "what marty is saying is illogical"?
tuhin94 wrote:

Maybe you didn't go to the link so I'll simplify it for you. 2014, I am promised "THE GAME EXACTLY AS I REMEMBER IT". I get rid of all the old gear, and then I get this. What happened? If you buy a box of cigarretes and it comes full of sand instead, and the creator of that cigarrete brand agrees with you, then it's illogical to complain. That's what you are saying, right?

Let's play a game, why don't you go to my first link and comment "what marty is saying is illogical"?
I was replying directly to the person who replied to your post and not contradicting what you were saying. While I like what CEA is, I totally sympathize with people such as yourself who are not satisfied with the port. I have great adoration for Marty and his work. So, you can relax and I apologize for not being clear when trying to get my point across.

you know you can turn the skins off in the settings right? Although i will admit the Gearbox porting issues being entrenched into CEA on the 360 and now MCC is problematic....
nostalgia bubbles
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

I was replying directly to the person who replied to your post and not contradicting what you were saying. While I like what CEA is, I totally sympathize with people such as yourself who are not satisfied with the port. I have great adoration for Marty and his work. So, you can relax and I apologize for not being clear when trying to get my point across.
Oooo so sorry bro

nostalgia bubbles
https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/ffz3ny/halo_ce_on_mcc_an_indepth_lesson_on_how_mccce_is/
They need to bring the original halo ce on xbox one and series x with backward compatibility
I think you guys are right. But I also don't care. Let me explain.

You're totally right that the CE version of the MCC is NOT exactly how some people remember it on the OG Xbox, simply because it isn't the same port and the hit detection issues are rampant. The gun skins complaint is really pretty invalid since you can turn them off, but that also doesn't reference the functionality of the game.

However,

The fact I can play a pretty close version of how I remember Halo:CE online in matchmaking in 2020 is something I hold near and dear as a life-long Halo fan. If I want to play the real thing, I'll go boot up by OG Xbox and throw it in. I still do this for Halo 2 LAN's that I host occasionally. The older version is just more pure. But I'm still beyond thrilled that 19 years after release I can play online matchmaking of a game that never had that feature to begin with. Imagine if I could play Goldeneye online right now, or (for one a little more out there) Red Faction. I don't care how "unpure" the version is, I'm thrilled I can finally play this game.

As far as the developers lying to you - I mean sure, you can say it's false advertising, but I think it's just a pretty subjective statement considering that how you remember something changes from person to person. If you're unhappy with the product, sell it. Worst case scenario, if you bought MCC on launch digitally and you hate every aspect of it, you're out $60. Big whoop. $60 is nothing.
Big whoop. $60 is nothing.
Then gimme $60. Hmmm??
Then gimme $60. Hmmm??
Sure. DM me your Venmo or Cashapp.

In the basis from the interview, only Halo CE on an original Xbox is good enough for Marty (probably also on an analogue TV). In my opinion, 343 did a good enough attempt to capture the original Halo CE experience in Halo CEA and MCC.
They need to bring the original halo ce on xbox one and series x with backward compatibility
I want 2 fully backward compatible. It being on MCC gets watered down by the other games.
Then gimme $60. Hmmm??
Sure. DM me your Venmo or Cashapp.
In that case I'd like $60 as well :D
CE has always been my favorite Halo and I'd like a better way to play it on a PC along with Halo 2. I was pretty satisfied with their inclusion in MCC but I knew once Halo 3 was released it would be more difficult to find multiplayer games for CE and 2, the ones that really got me to get MCC in the first place. At this point I don't mind new content like skins, heck I would even be happy with added multiplayer or single player content. Single player content preferably. MCC is really cool but I kinda wish the games had standalone releases with online features on PC.