Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

My Thoughts on the Boltshot

OP TreWillz

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'm sorry but the boltshot is a definite no-no. It is an over powered pocket shotgun. While it may be fun to use, it is a pain in the a** to know you're going against it.

Why I hear Complaints:
It's A One Hit Kill Loadout Weapon
It's like a shotgun with greater range
It promotes camping around corners
People use it too much with active camo

How do people counter these complaints:
So what? So is the plasma grenade
You have to charge the gun and that makes up for range
Listen for the sound of the gun or hardlight shield
Use Promethean vision or look for radar jammer

My thoughts:
Yes the plasma grenade is one stick kill weapon but that is how halo has been played for years. Yes it is also loadout weapon as well but it is a necessity due to the use of vehicles.

The shotgun thing shouldn't even be a discussion. It's a loadout shotgun, you shouldn't have that. You might as well spawn with a carbine that you can charge for a sniper shot.

Camping with camo around corners = counter with promethean vision or hardlight shield, watching radar for jammer and listening to sound? That is a no. You can hear the sound, but in most occasions, if they have a lot of exp. with the gun, by the time you hear the sound of the boltshot, it already means it's too late. Hardlight shield can stop it but it doesn't deflect it as far as I know and that also means that the bolshot still holds advantage. Why? Because when you bring your hardlight down you're vulnerable to hits and the boltshot person can melee at any time and still take the upper hand. Promethean vision could be used but is pointless if they are using stealth and if you have to use it every turn you take. And the radar jammer for camo is broken or this was intended by 343, but if you stand perfectly still and activate camo, you dont show a jammer field around you so there is no way to know a camo person is around unless you're standing still and he's in your field of view. But this will mostly occur in tight corridors so by the time you recognize the bends in light, you're pretty much dead.

All in all, I despise the boltshot. I really do. I have fun if i get mad and use it but it is a cheap kill weapon and I hope it doesn't appear on Halo 5. Any thoughts or opinions?
^
The boltshot was a nice concept and innovative, but works badly in MM.
I have to admit to that. I'm mad I didn't say it. But they did have good intentions in mind when they created the Boltshot, but people just abuse it too much.
The Boltshot should return in Halo 5 however should not be available in loadouts.

Loadouts should be completely stripped down in the next Halo title. I love the concept but they ruin gameplay by giving players access to game breaking abilities and weapons such as Camp, PV and the Boltshot. You should not be able to do anything more than pick your primary, customize your primary and secondary pistol (skins) and maybe chose your armor ability assuming we rid loadouts of game breaking abilities such as Jetpack, PV and Camo.
Quote:
You might as well spawn with a carbine that you can charge for a sniper shot.
Don't give them any ideas.
The boltshot was a neat idea for a weapon...but not a loadout weapon.
Quote:
... Yes it(The Plasma Grenade) is also loadout weapon as well but it is a necessity due to the use of vehicles.
A necessity? Wasn't necessary in all the past halo games. Back in the day, if a vehicle was giving you trouble, you had to find a on-map weapon to counter, use your player maneuvering skill to jack it, shoot the riders out of it, or roll the thing over with frags. That's four ways to take out a vehicle that require skill. Now? Stick, Stick, Boom. It's stupid easy, too easy...

The Boltshot shouldn't be there either.
It's underpowered in PVE.
Quote:
*MUHAHAHAHA*..... Devil's advocate time...

My thoughts:
Yes the plasma grenade is one stick kill weapon but that is how halo has been played for years. Yes it is also loadout weapon as well but it is a necessity due to the use of vehicles.

"That's the way it's been" isn't a valid argument when talking about the benefits of gameplay mechanics, and no, the Plasma Grenade is not necessary because of vehicles. Not in it's current state. And can't I say that the Boltshot is "necessary" due to the use of melee-rush?

The shotgun thing shouldn't even be a discussion. It's a loadout shotgun, you shouldn't have that. You might as well spawn with a carbine that you can charge for a sniper shot.

Says who? Anyway, a Carbine is much more powerful than the Boltshot's single-fire, and a Sniper is MUCH, MUCH more powerful than the Boltshot's charge-up, or even a Shotgun. I think that analogy is broken.

Camping with camo around corners = counter with promethean vision or hardlight shield, watching radar for jammer and listening to sound? That is a no. You can hear the sound, but in most occasions, if they have a lot of exp. with the gun, by the time you hear the sound of the boltshot, it already means it's too late. Hardlight shield can stop it but it doesn't deflect it as far as I know and that also means that the bolshot still holds advantage. Why? Because when you bring your hardlight down you're vulnerable to hits and the boltshot person can melee at any time and still take the upper hand. Promethean vision could be used but is pointless if they are using stealth and if you have to use it every turn you take. And the radar jammer for camo is broken or this was intended by 343, but if you stand perfectly still and activate camo, you dont show a jammer field around you so there is no way to know a camo person is around unless you're standing still and he's in your field of view. But this will mostly occur in tight corridors so by the time you recognize the bends in light, you're pretty much dead.

Hardlight Shield does deflect, the camo glitch is a glitch and doesn't work like that and you forgot about how grenades and basically every other AA can work as a defense from campers. Speaking of campers, how different is the boltshot really from a double-melee? If they get first hit (and they most certainly will) it will be pretty hard to come out on top.

All in all, I despise the boltshot. I really do. I have fun if i get mad and use it but it is a cheap kill weapon and I hope it doesn't appear on Halo 5. Any thoughts or opinions?

I think that if it does reappear (And since many Promethean units use it, it probably will) it needs a rebalance. Have it automatically discharge the blast after (and ONLY after) a set period of time, introducing a skill factor.
I've never really liked the idea of outright REMOVING game elements. I think many of you can relate to that.
It should be a pick up weopon but it is not overpowered considering it takes time to charge it up
Quote:
Quote:
I think that if it does reappear (And since many Promethean units use it, it probably will) it needs a rebalance. Have it automatically discharge the blast after (and ONLY after) a set period of time, introducing a skill factor.
I've never really liked the idea of outright REMOVING game elements. I think many of you can relate to that.
I don't. If something was a bad idea, get rid of it. Don't try to tweak it endlessly until you give up and just leave it as is. That's how you get cluttered, overcomplicated sandboxes.

Armor abilities are a perfect example of a horrible idea that refuses to go away even though we all know the game would be better if they did. Instead they just keep changing them usually for the worse.
Quote:
It should be a pick up weopon but it is not overpowered considering it takes time to charge it up
In that case, it would probably need a buff, especially to single-fire.
Quote:
I don't. If something was a bad idea, get rid of it. Don't try to tweak it endlessly until you give up and just leave it as is. That's how you get cluttered, overcomplicated sandboxes.

Armor abilities are a perfect example of a horrible idea that refuses to go away even though we all know the game would be better if they did. Instead they just keep changing them usually for the worse.
I never said anything about bad ideas, just ideas in general. If there's no way you can fit something in, ok sure, don't.

And as to your negative opinion of AA's, "I don't".
To be honest, its really not impossible to get beat down by any of the load out weapon in this game.

You could just as easily add any weapon to the "no no" list. Each available loadout weapon has the strength and ability to mow you down in the right scenario. The BR's complain about DMR's crew, boltshot vs Plasma Pisols ... etc. etc.

The way everyone complains about the available loadout weapons its as if everyone wants to back to AR/Magnum loadouts.
Also, it seems to me that many anti-Boltshot people bring up the same statements again and again-

"The Boltshot is a pocket-shotgun. You should NEVER spawn with a pocket-shotgun."

"The Boltshot is a OHK weapon. You should NEVER spawn with a OHK weapon."

-But I never have heard an explanation of why these things are inherently gamebreaking.

Could someone help me out here?
Quote:
"The Boltshot is a pocket-shotgun. You should NEVER spawn with a pocket-shotgun."

"The Boltshot is a OHK weapon. You should NEVER spawn with a OHK weapon."

-But I never have heard an explanation of why these things are inherently gamebreaking.

Could someone help me out here?
We must ask ourselves what our design principles are.

We could allow power weapons in loadouts if the default weapons were buffed up to the point of being power weapons. However, this also drastically changes how the game is played.

Anything that kills in a single shot removes any...how to put this....I'll just say "combat" from the game. Rather than having an intense strafe battle or employing tactics in the middle of a fight, you just instantly kill someone the moment you see them.

Obviously the Bolt Shot has a charge time, limiting its effectiveness compared to weapons like the shotgun. However, one can still potentially charge behind a corner, walk around that corner, and fire off the shot with enough twitch aim skill.

I'll say the same thing about spawning with a sniper in Murder Miners. While yes, their effects on gameplay are situational and drastically hampered by their skill requirement, those effects are still present regardless.

Basically, I see two schools of thought when it comes to making shooters.
1. Shooters that revolve around "the dance".
2. Shooters that are all about positioning and reaction time.

Halo falls into the former, games like Counter-Strike fall into the latter. You literally can not strafe in counter-strike and expect to hit anything, even at close range. You have to be standing or crouching for decent accuracy.
Quote:
*snip*
That seems pretty reasonable.
So, there is one loadout weapon that has a chance of, after being charged ... the ability of a 1 hit kill.

It still seems like there is a huge difference than spawning with a shotgun.
The charge time and very limited range alone provides a disadvantage. And the standard firing (uncharged) rate to drop a player is well beyond a standard clip from what I remember. Seems like its a one trick pony if the scenario and timing work out right.

You could just as easily be taken down with an assassination or by being back smacked. But again, that relies on the scenario and timing, just no charge time.
Quote:
So, there is one loadout weapon that has a chance of, after being charged ... the ability of a 1 hit kill.

It still seems like there is a huge difference than spawning with a shotgun.
The charge time and very limited range alone provides a disadvantage.

You could just as easily be taken down with an assassination or by being back smacked. But again, that relies on the scenario and timing, just no charge time.
Assassinations are highly situational.
Having a weapon that requires a momentary charge...well...isn't.

If I'm about to get wrecked, I can potentially charge up and fire a Boltshot at my opponent, instantly winning the battle.

And mind you, the Bolt Shot has a very fast charge up time. You don't even need to let the animation complete fully. As soon as the wings are extended, it's ready to go, regardless if they are glowing or not.

Adding on to what I said previously, weapons like the Shotgun, Sniper, and Rocket allow you to instantly win battles. But they are highly situational in that they must be acquired first.
I'm sorry but if you still die constantly to the bolt shot you deserve it.

You can't get away with cheeky half charges anymore. Now adays you have to fully charge it to get any sort of kill at range with the Bolt shot (unless the enemy is previously weakened.) Not to mention it's got less of the range then the human shotgun and if you miss you are dead.

If you had said pre TU Boltshot was OP i'd tend to agree but post TU it's balanced.
Also i find some of your points hilarious. Trying to justify spawning with a sticky? Laughable. No one should be able to stick you before they die everytime. And Plasmas are not needed to counter vehicles. There are plenty of OHK power weapons that destroy vehicles.

I hardly ever see a camo user with bolt shot. Lastly there are several counters to the bolt shot even situational awarness which you seem to casually toss aside like "psh we should be able to hur dur sprint all the time and not pay attention."

I will end this post by saying yeah i'd like to go back to pistol only secondaries. Maybe add an SMG or something too. But claiming the BS to be overpowered now is simply laughable.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3