Forums / Games / Halo: Reach and Legacy Halo

Question on why Halo population drops over time?

OP Geth Pathfinder

This is general for all (Halo) games. I know the obvious explanation for drops in online population: new games bring in more casual players and eventually people leave and only the serious fans remain.
My question is specific. Why did the population drop with H3 but somehow everybody started playing it again with the MCC? It’s not like H3 disappeared at any point. It gradually lost population. If the hardcore fans, playing on the MCC, never left the original H3, the population wouldn’t have ever dropped so low. I could go into (x360)H3 and play some BTB. But unfortunately, the population is almost gone in everything but social Slayer. In my case, I enjoy playing H4 BTB. When the MCC came out I was still playing on the 360 because it plays better. Now that updates have fixed it, I play on whichever ever game I happen to be in. Point is, I still play the original H4.
it is because when it comes to human ambition, nothing lasts forever. you can apply this to everything. halo 3 is a great game but for its developers it was a "disposable" product. they got their sales and they were done with it. there were never any quality of life updates nor improvements of any class. halo the master chief collection has provided considerable updates to the game but it is most definetly destined to the same fate. the reason: that's the way their developers want it (and perhaps that's the way most costumers want it). their way of improving is releasing a new product. it is sad for a lot of fans (i include myself on this halo 3 topic) but art is never appreciated the same way for everyone. despite this i have to mention that microsoft supporting backwards compatiblity overall and 343 currently improving the master chief collection are some efforts that are against this trend and i deeply appreciate.
You bring up a good point, OP. What I think it comes down to is the progress of hardware. A lot (obviously not necessarily most or all) of MCC players were either very young or not born yet when H3 came out. For them, the Xbox One might be their first console. So, MCC is their gateway to the past, if you will. Even though the original H3 is available, it probably makes more sense to play it in MCC since there’s a lot more value in one package.

Similarly, older players who have played the games since they were first new have long since moved on to the current consoles. It makes more sense to play the better version of the game in MCC since it’s on the newer console, is bundled with other Halo games, and has a lot of improvements over the original. Basically, current console and current “version” of the game go hand-in-hand.
tuhin94 wrote:
You bring up a good point, OP. What I think it comes down to is the progress of hardware. A lot (obviously not necessarily most or all) of MCC players were either very young or not born yet when H3 came out. For them, the Xbox One might be their first console. So, MCC is their gateway to the past, if you will. Even though the original H3 is available, it probably makes more sense to play it in MCC since there’s a lot more value in one package.

Similarly, older players who have played the games since they were first new have long since moved on to the current consoles. It makes more sense to play the better version of the game in MCC since it’s on the newer console, is bundled with other Halo games, and has a lot of improvements over the original. Basically, current console and current “version” of the game go hand-in-hand.
It makes sense that you would want the best version of a game. Playing Halo CE and Halo 2 makes sense because you literally can’t play the originals on Xbox Live. I’m just wondering why OG Halo 3 isn’t more popular with the BR being more consistent. Most people I talk to on Halowaypoint say that the MCC doesn’t play like the original Halo 3. I’m addressing H3 more just because it has the strongest base. I get what your saying about new player trying Halo 3 among other games. It seems that there is a lot of older players who want to experience “the good old days of gaming again” yet stopped playing OG Halo 3. I feel like thousands of Halo 3 player got bored and then wanted to go back to H3 but the population was too low. Lol, it’s too low because you all left.

If 343i could organized the community and give them a reason to play Halo 3 Backwards Compatible, the population could be jumpstarted l. I actually thought it might happen with the Backwards Compatibility of Halo 3 and 4.

Anybody notice how Reach hasn’t lost its players yet. Thousands of players a day and easy to find matches. Think it’s because of the grind for Inheritor or because people just love the game?
tuhin94 wrote:
-snip-
It makes sense that you would want the best version of a game. Playing Halo CE and Halo 2 makes sense because you literally can’t play the originals on Xbox Live. I’m just wondering why OG Halo 3 isn’t more popular with the BR being more consistent.
That's because the forum posts represent a small fraction of the people that play MCC. Most players care more about the 4K and 60 FPS and don't fully realize that the BR is any different.
the serious population you speak of is now mostly aged 25-40, alot of those guys kept playing because of the community rather than any competitive incentive, sure h3 is a game that never gets unfun but its more that as time went on, less and less of us were left,you become close to those remaining, and remember those who have left us, both in to move on to other games and those who have passed away.

And to why the serious guys remaining moved on, 343 started caring, they saw these guys who had been playing a game for 12 years and realized those guys are the market they want, they fixed mcc and with the rise of aimbotters and the fact almost everyone had or knew a booter there was no reason to stay stuck in the past.

Its sad to scroll through the friends lists off halo 3 legends and see so many well known people offline for good but thats life i guess.
It's sadly the passage of time in my opinion.

Things boom in popularity at the beginning and if it's lucky enough to stand the test of time, it will remain that way for months or even years. Sadly though, all good things come to an end. With the 360 slowly being pushed off the shelf to make way for the next generation of gaming, games of the previous era are just dropping off the grid because of connection problems and sustained servers just not receiving the love and care they once did. MCC picked up population because it was Halo: Combat Evolved to Halo 4 in one disk on the current gen console. Sadly though, it experienced so many bugs due to 343i's ambition to bring us such a good thing. The tech was there, the engine was fine, but a lot of things that should have been seen to just weren't and so it fell a part. (Make no mistake, I do not blame 343 for that; they tried to bring us a boulevard of nostalgia all in one go. But the creator of Dead Space pointed out that some times game companies come at a problem the wrong way; his team was lucky enough to figure out their issue, 343 just wasn't as lucky to catch the problems in time to fix them.) So the bugs and overall issues killed most of the population for MCC.

Many things kill a population to any game; Halo's biggest offender is just time. It's such a beloved series that only time ever really kills its populations.

But that could just be my love for the series. Who knows?
Depends on the demographic.

Casuals - This could be people who have never played Halo 3 before either due to owning a different console or the Xbox One being their first console. This can include players who just want to hop on, play a few rounds and not care about the competitive ranking system or game mechanics such as BR consistency. These players will likely play on the Xbox One as well due to the game being 1920x1080 and 60fps instead of 640p and 30fps.

Competitive - These players can still be divided into two sub categories, those who prefer the original game and don't mind the low resolution, framerate and prefer the games hit detection and then there are those who can't stand 30fps for a shooter and prefer the higher resolution, quicker response time and lower input lag that 60fps brings to the game. The inclusion of dedicated servers also may be a factor, as Halo 3 (360) used P2P and often if there was a North American player in the game, they would have host connection. Dedicated servers helps to connect players to the closest server, reducing the latency between players. These players are also more likely to stay with the version of Halo 3 they play.

We then have to consider other factors:

Low Player Count - This can affect playlists in OG Halo 3. For example, one reason I don't play Halo 3 anywhere near as much is due to the lack of population in some of the ranked playlists such as Team Slayer. This could be the same for other players and currently with the MCC, there are more playlists to choose from with quicker search times, allowing more variety in the Halo 3 experience compared to the OG version.

Accessibility - This links to the player count. MCC contains other Halo titles and people may pick up MCC just to play their favourite title such as Halo 2 since it's the only way to play that game online through official means. If a consumer is buying MCC for a particular Halo game, they still have access to Halo 3, which means that the MCC version is readily available for the player to quickly hop on and try it out. It is unlikely they will then go back and purchase the 360 original so they may stick with the MCC version if they like it. Unfortunately, Halo 3 360 does not have that luxury since it is not being supported anymore.

Halo 3 for the 360 is still a great game and it has survived far longer than other console titles, much like Halo 2 before it did. Unfortunately, due to some of the factors above, it is possible that Halo 3 will continue to slowly decline and players may shift over to the MCC version as a result.

To be fair, Halo 3 on the 360 could receive a population boost but it would require 343 to update the game one more time and market it. An update to make the game use dedicated servers could help but given the already low population count, this could make things worse, so marketing may help draw players back to the game. A playlist update may also be beneficial to help keep the game feeling fresh or even forcing DLC maps to be installed now to play any of the playlists in order to increase map variety. Unfortunately, none of this options will realistically yield any financial gain for 343 and Microsoft and to add to it, Halo 3 uses old networking tech so it's unlikely any of the above will be able to be implemented.

Halo 3 on the 360 is still my favourite way to play the game but sadly, as with most products, its decline is inevitable.
As time goes on interest drops off. How many times can you read the same story? Eventually you will want to try another or do something else with your time. Very few things stand up against the steady March of time. New things pull attention from the old and only really significant or lucky things last beyond a lifetime.
As time goes on interest drops off. How many times can you read the same story? Eventually you will want to try another or do something else with your time. Very few things stand up against the steady March of time. New things pull attention from the old and only really significant or lucky things last beyond a lifetime.
My question is more about, why Halo 3 fans came back to the MCC? Sure they go tired of Halo 3. Even the best games get boring eventually. Why would they come back to the MCC when Halo 3 was playable for years on the 360? I’m not talking about the new fans of Halo or “casuals” who play because it’s new, get bored, and move on to Fortnite, CoD, Battlefield, etc.
Well yeah halo is starting to lose its fame unless infinite is good
My question is more about, why Halo 3 fans came back to the MCC? Sure they go tired of Halo 3. Even the best games get boring eventually. Why would they come back to the MCC when Halo 3 was playable for years on the 360? I’m not talking about the new fans of Halo or “casuals” who play because it’s new, get bored, and move on to Fortnite, CoD, Battlefield, etc.
MCC was supposed to be an improvement over the original games and made it convenient to switch between different games within the series. So people likely stopped playing their original copy of Halo 3 when they bought MCC. That's exactly what happened for me.

I know you aren't talking about new fans or casuals, but they are a big part of the reason as well. These players who never played Halo 3 beforehand but picked up MCC, have no reason to go back and get the original Halo 3 stand-alone game as well.
Speaking for myself, I came back because I cannot find this experience in any other game. I'm so tired with games after 2012, that I accepted my fate and looked back at the classics. Now I play Halo again and luckily, other people are too.
People leave because playing the same game a ton gets boring for most people happens in every game not just Halo.