Forums / Games / Halo: Reach

Revive Reach

OP recon spartan45

So by now if you are reading this you probably thinking that I'm some type of fan boy living off of old memories and nostalgia but just hear me out. I don't think that 343 or microsoft should have ever closed the servers. I am able to face that Reach is dying but I still play it to this day and I think that maybe 343 or microsoft should revive Reach either by opening the servers again or (what I really want) a remaster like how they made the master chief collection. I would also like to see a halo 3 remaster. So I don't know if anyone will read this but I'm just hoping that somebody at 343 or microsoft will read this and possibly do something about this but that's all I wanted to say so that's my message to 343 and microsoft.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
So by now if you are reading this you probably thinking that I'm some type of fan boy living off of old memories and nostalgia but just hear me out. I don't think that 343 or microsoft should have ever closed the servers. I am able to face that Reach is dying but I still play it to this day and I think that maybe 343 or microsoft should revive Reach either by opening the servers again or (what I really want) a remaster like how they made the master chief collection. I would also like to see a halo 3 remaster. So I don't know if anyone will read this but I'm just hoping that somebody at 343 or microsoft will read this and possibly do something about this but that's all I wanted to say so that's my message to 343 and microsoft.
They closed the servers? Why? The player base was still very strong, and matchmaking wasn't bad? Why? Halo Reach was not dead and I feel betrayed.
I think you’re misunderstanding.

1) Halo Reach is still playable and the game uses P2P to play games online. Unless the 360 Xbox Live is shutdown, you should be fine.

2) 343 have no reason to push for a Reach revival. Reach as a product is dead, it’s made the money it’s going to make for Microsoft. Halo 5 is still making money and therefore their attention is focused there. Any attempt to draw attention away from Halo’s main source of revenue (Halo 5) would be seen as foolish.

3) It’s the communities that for the most part that keep games alive after their usefulness as a source of revenue has expired. PC games tend to survive more but it’s not unheard of for console gamers to keep games alive (Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on PS2, PSO on Dreamcast and Gamecube etc). It’s up to the community to keep the game going, either by organising community game nights and more.

4) Reach doesn’t need a remaster. Not yet. We don’t want to get into the habbit of remastering every single Halo game because where does it end? An ‘X enhanced’ update could do the game good from a visual standpoint though.

1) Halo Reach is still playable and the game uses P2P to play games online. Unless the 360 Xbox Live is shutdown, you should be fine.

2) 343 have no reason to push for a Reach revival. Reach as a product is dead, it’s made the money it’s going to make for Microsoft. Halo 5 is still making money and therefore their attention is focused there. Any attempt to draw attention away from Halo’s main source of revenue (Halo 5) would be seen as foolish.

3) It’s the communities that for the most part that keep games alive after their usefulness as a source of revenue has expired. PC games tend to survive more but it’s not unheard of for console gamers to keep games alive (Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on PS2, PSO on Dreamcast and Gamecube etc). It’s up to the community to keep the game going, either by organising community game nights and more.

4) Reach doesn’t need a remaster. Not yet. We don’t want to get into the habbit of remastering every single Halo game because where does it end? An ‘X enhanced’ update could do the game good from a visual standpoint though.
I now feel like an idiot and wish to redact all negative statements made to 343i and apologize for threatening to uninstall Halo 5
Help me out here, P2P means that we don't need an actual server from 343 or Microsoft to play online? Which would mean we can play forever as long as Xbox Live exists? Why did you only mention 360 by the way, what about Xbox One?
halo7725 wrote:
Help me out here, P2P means that we don't need an actual server from 343 or Microsoft to play online? Which would mean we can play forever as long as Xbox Live exists? Why did you only mention 360 by the way, what about Xbox One?
P2P means Peer to Peer. Basically someone’s Xbox 360/One (and by extension, that persons internet connection) are used to host games rather than dedicated servers (which are far better but have costs to maintain etc).

Xbox Live has security measures, which as time goes on, will gradually become outdated and may put people’s security at risk. This is the same for many services, such as PSN for example. As players stop playing Xbox 360 games or after it becomes no longer financially viable/security risks too great, Microsoft will likely discontinue the Xbox 360 Live servers. Xbox One would not be affected as it is more than likely using a much newer network architecture and security system and is probably separate from the 360 Live servers.

Without a way to login to Live, you cannot search/play the games, despite them being P2P.

With regards to what the OP was suggesting, it appears he/she thought Reach’s servers had been shutoff, thus rendering it impossible to play online (EA does this to some of their games) when in reality, Halo Reach as with most 360 titles should be safe for years to come.
Reach doesn't need revived. It had it's time and is still.a very good game.
halo7725 wrote:
P2P means Peer to Peer. Basically someone’s Xbox 360/One (and by extension, that persons internet connection) are used to host games rather than dedicated servers (which are far better but have costs to maintain etc).

Xbox Live has security measures, which as time goes on, will gradually become outdated and may put people’s security at risk. This is the same for many services, such as PSN for example. As players stop playing Xbox 360 games or after it becomes no longer financially viable/security risks too great, Microsoft will likely discontinue the Xbox 360 Live servers. Xbox One would not be affected as it is more than likely using a much newer network architecture and security system and is probably separate from the 360 Live servers.

Without a way to login to Live, you cannot search/play the games, despite them being P2P.

With regards to what the OP was suggesting, it appears he/she thought Reach’s servers had been shutoff, thus rendering it impossible to play online (EA does this to some of their games) when in reality, Halo Reach as with most 360 titles should be safe for years to come.
So if, Xbox 360 Live shuts down, we can still play Halo Reach online on the Xbox One through backwards compatibility? Thank you for explaining by the way.
If we could go back and revive Halo 3 and Reach that would be amazing. :)
halo7725 wrote:
So if, Xbox 360 Live shuts down, we can still play Halo Reach online on the Xbox One through backwards compatibility? Thank you for explaining by the way.
Xbox 360 uses the same Xbox Live services as the Xbox One. Older Halo games will be playable for as long as the matchmaking servers are operational and seeing as they all just recently got added to the Backwards Compatible list, they'll be around for quite a bit.

A reach revival might just please halo fans and other gamers.
HONORlS wrote:

A reach revival might just please halo fans and other gamers.
Then organise a game night, stream it, Youtube it, post on forums/reddit about it. Create interest and people will come back.

We had frequent Halo 1 PC game nights back in the Bungie era, it was a resounding success but we stopped once the migration from Bungie's to 343's website happened.

Heck, if the game types and maps are interesting enough, i'd consider returning to Reach for a few '343 Forum' hosted game nights.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
mi primer y unico amor
I guess you could say remember reach
Some recent news suggests that reach is potentially being investigated to be added to mcc. It seems a significant number of people really want it on Xbox one and now 343 is aware of it. While I would prefer a stand alone port, it’s better than backwards compatibility.

But now it’s not just a request by reach fans to get fair treatment like all other halo games have had for the Xbox one, it’s becoming more likely that it’s going to happen at some point. If we keep asking, keep these topics going, and reach continues to have a reasonable community, we will get halo Reach In 60fps/4K eventually for sure.
MBT808 wrote:
Some recent news suggests that reach is potentially being investigated to be added to mcc. It seems a significant number of people really want it on Xbox one and now 343 is aware of it. While I would prefer a stand alone port, it’s better than backwards compatibility.

But now it’s not just a request by reach fans to get fair treatment like all other halo games have had for the Xbox one, it’s becoming more likely that it’s going to happen at some point. If we keep asking, keep these topics going, and reach continues to have a reasonable community, we will get halo Reach In 60fps/4K eventually for sure.
I doubt they're going to add it to MCC anytime soon, simply because it would be foolish to add to MCC until the game is fixed. Adding Reach could potentially make everything worse and break the game further in its current state. Fix X, break Y.

Though, if Reach was to be remastered, being added to MCC is likely the way they would do it.
MBT808 wrote:
No, that's not a good idea and Reach deserves its own stand alone title. Who cares if 343 is remastering all of the old games, that's what many fans want myself included. I would pay money for a Reach remaster, hands down.