Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

So, basically Halo is doomed.

OP WarMachine01992

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Quote:
With this approach though, people don't want to play now because with the commendations and challenges, if they play an unlock these, they'll lose the xp they could've gotten. So it lowers the population now. And what makes you so sure everyone will come back?
What makes you sure that they won't? Once developed an addictive habit is hard to break, and you certainly need one to have reached level 70 by now. Even if someone moves over to Blops 2 there's a lot pulling them over here just out of a habit developed over the past few months or maybe even a longer history with Halo. And as that game, assuming the absolute worst of the population, begins to fade you then have the "unlocking" of Halo 4 specs, more DLC, and the tantalizing reward of relatively new experiences compared to both what the player left behind and what they're playing now.

Fanboys think in terms of black and white, you either play this or that, but I'm more of a fan of behavioral oscillations. People move back and forth, depending on what's new, but if you've experienced EVERY facet the game has to offer (IE. burn-out) then the resulting lull in the cycle is going to be colossal, giving any other game a tremendous opportunity to set up new sin-waves which may or may not include Halo. Again, it's about long term growth (or at least non-death) not immediate gratification.

Quote:
If they keep it open, people will still play. People play more when they have everything than when they have everything they can but know half of it is locked off until later. One is a sense of accomplishment, and the other is frustration that half of a multiplayer is locked off.

The people will stop playing eventually, but it's best to keep them around.

Or instead of doing cheap tactics like this that are just frustrating to the player base, they could just make a game that's fun enough to play for a long time.

The sad thing is, Halo 4 IS that game. It's amazing in so many ways but so many people who wouldn't have quit otherwise are leaving the game because of this whole debacle. How is that the right kind of business? Is it even the right kind of business? How can you defend that to us? It's fairly obvious the psychological standpoint of all of us when you read how we're reacting to this.
Well I can defend it for the above point, I see caps more as a way to restrict destructive gaming habits. "Debacle," though is what I'm more opposed to.

Let's just take the phrase "so many." How many people do you think have completely left Halo 4 in the DAY unlock codes have been an issue? Even over time the group effected is just those who've hit 70 before the inevitable global spec unlock (I'd give it a month) AND explicitly told MS not to contact them through email. That's two very particular circumstances, which only sets up the conditions for frustration mind you, that I wouldn't trust to represent any recognizable fraction of the total Halo 4 population. And if it can't be recognized, outside of the forums, what effect could it possibly have on the future of Halo 4? How would it possibly cause more people to drop out?

It wouldn't, the larger trend of people getting bored by now is surely going to overwhelm what little you loose because of EXP limits (see the falling curve of all but a very few games post-release.) And it's that tendency towards boredom which EXP caps target in the first place by attacking the group of people who are most dangerously susceptible to it. At the very worst you rip the controller from their hands, tell them they have to wait before they can unlock any more stuff, but really is that a bad thing? Must we always cater to the first impulse of the player for MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE? Sometimes MORE isn't a good thing, sometimes it kills the future by giving people too much too quickly. If the Campaign taught us anything it's that a little pacing will get you a long way. Not towards more points, certainly, but there's more to building a vibrant game than just building the best skinner box.
Quote:
Quote:
With this approach though, people don't want to play now because with the commendations and challenges, if they play an unlock these, they'll lose the xp they could've gotten. So it lowers the population now. And what makes you so sure everyone will come back?
What makes you sure that they won't? Once developed an addictive habit is hard to break, and you certainly need one to have reached level 70 by now. Even if someone moves over to Blops 2 there's a lot pulling them over here just out of a habit developed over the past few months or maybe even a longer history with Halo. And as that game, assuming the absolute worst of the population, begins to fade you then have the "unlocking" of Halo 4 specs, more DLC, and the tantalizing reward of relatively new experiences compared to both what the player left behind and what they're playing now.

Fanboys think in terms of black and white, you either play this or that, but I'm more of a fan of behavioral oscillations. People move back and forth, depending on what's new, but if you've experienced EVERY facet the game has to offer (IE. burn-out) then the resulting lull in the cycle is going to be colossal, giving any other game a tremendous opportunity to set up new sin-waves which may or may not include Halo. Again, it's about long term growth (or at least non-death) not immediate gratification.

Quote:
If they keep it open, people will still play. People play more when they have everything than when they have everything they can but know half of it is locked off until later. One is a sense of accomplishment, and the other is frustration that half of a multiplayer is locked off.

The people will stop playing eventually, but it's best to keep them around.

Or instead of doing cheap tactics like this that are just frustrating to the player base, they could just make a game that's fun enough to play for a long time.

The sad thing is, Halo 4 IS that game. It's amazing in so many ways but so many people who wouldn't have quit otherwise are leaving the game because of this whole debacle. How is that the right kind of business? Is it even the right kind of business? How can you defend that to us? It's fairly obvious the psychological standpoint of all of us when you read how we're reacting to this.
Well I can defend it for the above point, I see caps more as a way to restrict destructive gaming habits. "Debacle," though is what I'm more opposed to.

Let's just take the phrase "so many." How many people do you think have completely left Halo 4 in the DAY unlock codes have been an issue? Even over time the group effected is just those who've hit 70 before the inevitable global spec unlock (I'd give it a month) AND explicitly told MS not to contact them through email. That's two very particular circumstances, which only sets up the conditions for frustration mind you, that I wouldn't trust to represent any recognizable fraction of the total Halo 4 population. And if it can't be recognized, outside of the forums, what effect could it possibly have on the future of Halo 4? How would it possibly cause more people to drop out?

It wouldn't, the larger trend of people getting bored by now is surely going to overwhelm what little you loose because of EXP limits (see the falling curve of all but a very few games post-release.) And it's that tendency towards boredom which EXP caps target in the first place by attacking the group of people who are most dangerously susceptible to it. At the very worst you rip the controller from their hands, tell them they have to wait before they can unlock any more stuff, but really is that a bad thing? Must we always cater to the first impulse of the player for MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE? Sometimes MORE isn't a good thing, sometimes it kills the future by giving people too much too quickly. If the Campaign taught us anything it's that a little pacing will get you a long way. Not towards more points, certainly, but there's more to building a vibrant game than just building the best skinner box.
Well, the addiction or habits it takes to reach 130 will not die out the moment the reach 130 either then. ( I personally am only 50, but I don't want to waste my double xp matches on a specialization I'm not interested in) However, while you do say that people often want more and will just keep playing, it's true. People do want more and will keep playing. As such, inevitably people will reach 130, but due to the cap it will take longer and be spaced out. However, what you have now is people who aren't playing because they don't want to waste double xp matches or commendation or challenge xp on ranks they can't even use yet.

What you could have is people binge-playing and reaching 130 fast, and maybe complaining about reaching 130 too fast but still playing due to the game being fun.

But instead you have people being controlled by outside forces because they didn't pay $40 extra. They're now frustrated and all of this could be avoided.

Other games let people rank up fast, and don't cap them and they don't get complaints. Gamers want to chill and play for however long they want to. We don't want to be monitored on how much we can earn per day. It causes unnecessary frustration and unfair advantages to people.
I started playing less after ive reached SR70. With such a handfull of maps, xp cap and no spec code why should I keep playing?
Quote:
Withholding maps or cosmetic affects and saving them for just Limited Edition players is alright, as it gives a good bonus to those who paid more, while not truly providing negative effects to the rest of the community.
I just wanted to point out that they didn't actually withhold any maps.
Im suing for false advertisement if I dont receive my code by the time I wake up.
Quote:
Quote:
Withholding maps or cosmetic affects and saving them for just Limited Edition players is alright, as it gives a good bonus to those who paid more, while not truly providing negative effects to the rest of the community.
I just wanted to point out that they didn't actually withhold any maps.
Other developers have, such as Treyarch with the WaW Zombie maps in Black Ops. They were later released as DLC, and none of this had a negative effect on players in multiplayer because they could still play their multiplayer career to its fullest extent. I just wanted to say that this practice is one I can support. Halo 4 is doing something similar by including 3 discounted future map packs with the Limited Edition, and I don't have a problem with this either.

But withholding half the ranks in multiplayer to those who didn't get limited is bad practice, as you can still get matched with people who are higher than SR70 and have access to game-changing perks such as requisition, gunner, and stability.
Well I guess back to playing Halo 4 or Doom 3 for me.
Actually I'd like to say that Treyarch didn't necessarily withhold the maps as they weren't on the disk to start with, they were DLC all along. Point is though, developers have every right to withhold on-disk content as long as it doesn't affect gameplay. When it affects gameplay and/or multiplayer progression, then we have a problem.
can someone please tell me how to check if i oped out of some emails
This whole specialization thing has been handled poorly before this game was even released. I really hope whoever is in charge of this is learning from their mistakes.
Quote:
. Now millions of us didn't get the codes for specializations.
Damn exaggerate much?
Quote:
can someone please tell me how to check if i oped out of some emails
Sign in to Xbox.com, click "My Account" (top right corner under your gamertag)

Click "Contact Preferences" (mid-bottom-left under "settings & preferences")

There's two check boxes. If they're not checked (default setting), you've opted-out and should not have received the codes.
Quote:
Quote:
can someone please tell me how to check if i oped out of some emails
Sign in to Xbox.com, click "My Account" (top right corner under your gamertag)

Click "Contact Preferences" (mid-bottom-left under "settings & preferences")

There's two check boxes. If they're not checked (default setting), you've opted-out and should not have received the codes.
thanks the top one is checked (xbox newsletter/marketing) but the second one is not (partner marketing)
Quote:
This is ridiculous. I opted out of XBL marketing emails. I got my code yesterday evening. I have no idea who you guys don't have your specs, but at least check your email again while you post about how bad it is that you didn't get them, and you just might find the damn thing in your inbox.

To the 343 bashers: Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but being rude and demanding with it isn't a right. If you don't like Halo 4 or 343 Industries, then that's great - stop playing and stop complaining. Just because things aren't the way YOU like them to be doesn't mean that those things are bad. 343 isn't forcing you to play Halo 4, so stop acting like they are.
What's that river in Egypt...

Oh yeah, DA NILE!

Really your post reads as if you are either having trouble coping with the how real these mistakes made by 343i are, or you are one of those "stop being entitled" people. The thing you have to realize is that people aren't complaining because they don't like things, they are complaining not only because they have a right to but because some of the decisions made about this game are objectively bad ones. Everyone is upset at how this game was handled.
The way Mircosoft and 343i have handled this is a FARCE, they have disgraced themselves so close to the launch of the new xbox console and it will not be forgotten.
Specialisation ability unlocks take up one of your slots for other perks... Not strictly an advantage.
Quote:
Specialisation ability unlocks take up one of your slots for other perks... Not strictly an advantage.
So, your saying that the ability to completely get new ordnance drops if you don't like what you have (eg. always get a launcher, saw, or damage boost while others very often get needlers or just plasma grenades or pulse grenades and speed boost), or the ability to not flinch at all when shot scoped in, or the ability to see weapon drops way before they spawn, AREN'T advantages?

Not to mention that again, these are 1/2 to 2/3 of the rank progression.
Quote:
I whole-heartedly agree with your post. Its exactly what I think. CE and LE versions give em skins and other non-essentials to make it worthwhile. Never ever lock content that gives a competative advantage to a small subset of the playerbase.
You had the same chance and opportunity to buy the Limited Edition as did I and everyone else that purchased. It was not that much more than the Standard Edition either.

SE is $60. LE is $100.

All the LE really is = SE + War Games Map Pack ($30) is $90. Honestly if were serious about this game and a Halo fan then $10 is not that big a deal.

Or buy both the LE and the Halo 4 console like I did. I'm rocking Halo 4 so hard right now.
I don't even use armor mods from the specializations.. I really don't even give a crap about them. All of their armour looks lame, weapon skins are just not necessary and I certainly couldn't care less about the emblems..
I bought the LE and I'm not even sure if I will reach level 50 because the game is very disappointing.

As a LE owner I find it limited that we get an advantage over SE owners. Sounds like a battlefield concept to me.
Quote:
Quote:
I've been a damn loyal fan to the franchise. Hell, I have the Mark 6 Helmet from Halo 3 and the Noble team statue sitting up on my shelves. This is a horrible way to treat the fans. At first I figured it was just taking them awhile to send out the codes, but now I guess we're not getting them because we didn't appease to your needs and tick the right boxes when we made an account. Way to treat the fans, thanks a lot 343i. I'd say I'd go to B02, but that game sucks too. I guess I'll just go back to RPGs.
If you enjoyed Bungie's work, I'd recommend staying around and wait for their new project, "Destiny". and hope they make a Beta. I've just got a gut feeling that they'll do good once again because a lot of people have loved every game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4