Something Happens to Commander Palmer

OP

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Quote:
@Duncan: From her perspective, Halsey to her is the war criminal she is branded and a traitor. "The right thing" might not be seen from a person with such a lack of knowledge of her.
Because the UNSC said so. That's the point. Palmer was hostile immediately because of Halsey's reputation. No other character behaved this way. Majestic was interested and even open minded, but Palmer was set on one path from the very beginning and only took subsequent events as justification for what the UNSC thought of Halsey. Laskey and Thorne are the obvious foils to this. They chose to behave differently with the same or less knowledge than Palmer because their characters are built on more independent motivations.
Quote:
@Duncan: From her perspective, Halsey to her is the war criminal she is branded and a traitor. "The right thing" might not be seen from a person with such a lack of knowledge of her.
Yes, with Halsey branded a traitor and war criminal, Commander Palmer believed she was doing the right thing by going to do the right thing, but as mentioned our good guys don't always get that luxury of talking first and shooting later. Palmer probably also believes she has something to prove because she is a woman heading up the most elite unit in the galaxy, which that gives her that arrogant appearance. Granted she doesn't rule over S-117.
Quote:
Quote:
Because the UNSC said so. That's the point. Palmer was hostile immediately because of Halsey's reputation. No other character behaved this way. Majestic was interested and even open minded, but Palmer was set on one path from the very beginning and only took subsequent events as justification for what the UNSC thought of Halsey. Laskey and Thorne are the obvious foils to this.
I see your point, I do. Then again, you can see she volunteered to protect Lasky and fulfill the order to prevent him from being court marshaled. Even though she is 'orders are orders' type of Spartan, you do have to see her concern for her Captain. I wouldn't do what she did in her shoes, but the drama this causes makes the series exciting.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because the UNSC said so. That's the point. Palmer was hostile immediately because of Halsey's reputation. No other character behaved this way. Majestic was interested and even open minded, but Palmer was set on one path from the very beginning and only took subsequent events as justification for what the UNSC thought of Halsey. Laskey and Thorne are the obvious foils to this.
I see your point, I do. Then again, you can see she volunteered to protect Lasky and fulfill the order to prevent him from being court marshaled. Even though she is 'orders are orders' type of Spartan, you do have to see her concern for her Captain. I wouldn't do what she did in her shoes, but the drama this causes makes the series exciting.
And now we have an evil one armed Halsey running around with an Elite.
None of the spartans shown in the game act as blatantly arrogant as her. The way she talk to Laskey at the end about trying to stop her when he is the captain and it is his call to make. All of the talk about her hostility toward Hasley and her arrogant elitist attitude just being the mindset of an elite soldier following orders is a load of crap. She disobeyed the order to arrest Chief(which was probably more due to her inability to do so) and when Laskey questioned the order to take out Halsey she went out anyway and acted like an arrogant snot to her commanding officer when she got back because he dared try and stop her.

During the entire time Del Rio was being a total A-hole to Master Chief even belittling him about being out of action for a while he never said anything and even when he disobeyed orders it was just him saying no. I mean at the end of the campaign when he was on the broadsword communicating to the infinity he was was asking for captain del rio(not knowing he was relieved) because it was never personal. Palmer acts like she takes everything personal, is disrespectful to those under her and even over her, quick to anger and too quick to act without thinking.

Palmer is the spartan equivalent to Captain Del Rio while Thorne(who acts more like a spartan II or III) is the Equivalent to Laskey. Laskey keeps his cool, has his ego in check, does not lose his temper or talk down to those under him.

This is why so many people want to see Palmer assassinated by a grunt.
What he said. ^^
Quote:
I don't know what everyones beef is with Palmer, I kind of like her as a character.
I think some people feel an inadequacy being ordered around by a woman in a power position.

to those people. its 2013, get over it.
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know what everyones beef is with Palmer, I kind of like her as a character.
I think some people feel an inadequacy being ordered around by a woman in a power position.

I'm getting really tired of this excuse for people to not like a character did you see people complain this much about Miranda? No. Being a women doesn't give you a get out of jail free card. People hate Majestic as well but Palmer is everywhere and until she becomes intelligent and loses her arrogance people will hate her but that's how shes written like Del Rio for the audience to hate her.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm getting really tired of this excuse for people to not like a character did you see people complain this much about Miranda? No.
Its a valid reason. Though Miranda played a bit of a different role. And not as much of a hardass. you reminded me of the game Dragon's Dogma, where players get to design their traveling companion or "Pawn", for which most players design their characters to be Skinny Short Pink Haired Loli's, wearing nothing but a Silver Bikini top and Thong. It kinda rare to find a guy think out side of the box and have a Zena-esque character, fit for battle, carrying themselves with a bit of pride and confidence.

for while you may think its an old argument. Its both old and seemingly true, from what i can tell. gender role reversal
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm getting really tired of this excuse for people to not like a character did you see people complain this much about Miranda? No.
Its a valid reason. Though Miranda played a bit of a different role. And not as much of a hardass. you reminded me of the game Dragon's Dogma, where players get to design their traveling companion or "Pawn", for which most players design their characters to be Skinny Short Pink Haired Loli's, wearing nothing but a Silver Bikini top and Thong. It kinda rare to find a guy think out side of the box and have a Zena-esque character, fit for battle, carrying themselves with a bit of pride and confidence.

for while you may think its an old argument. Its both old and seemingly true, from what i can tell. gender role reversal
The Palmer hate is for genuine reasons not because shes a strong women in a high position. Halo fans are used to well written likable characters not the rubes in Halo 4 so you can see why the characters rub Halo fans the wrong way. Also Palmer is the most prominent character next to Lasky so you can see why people focus there rage on her.

Edit: I'd say she's the most prominent character in Halo 4 SP OPs.
Quote:
Quote:
Palmer is, in essence, the poster child of the UNSC. She is disciplined, strict, follows orders to a tee, and sees everything as black and white. While Master Chief and Noble Team were influenced by the gray areas of every situation, Palmer is the kind of soldier that the UNSC wants -- ignorant, arrogant, and doesn't ask questions. Her character is used to show the decline in quality and efficiency of the Spartan Program.

Hey, remember when she ignored the order to arrest Master Chief. And I mean blatantly stood there not listening.

Hey. Remember when Master Chief listened to Guilty Spark, like a ignorant, arrogant tool, and was going to fire the installation without a second thought until Cortana corrected him? He was so set on firing it without even thinking about all it did. Luckily Cortana was there to correct him with the right orders.

Hey. Remember when Noble Team did everything they were ordered to by Halsey. Without knowing what the hell she was working on or why they needed to buy time?

I DO!

All Spartans are tools. People just don't like Palmer.
And like I said, all of those incidents were when the Spartans were going beyond UNSC command -- with the exception of Palmer of course. But even then, the reason Palmer was so willing to disobey was because she was standing face to face with the most deadly Spartan who saved the entire galaxy. Wouldn't you? I sure would. And once Master Chief was out of the picture, she was right back to her normal didactic self.
Halsey asked Noble once, are you a spartan or a puppet? I geuss Palmer choose to be a puppet. Halsey created the Spartans to keep mankind together not just some mindless drones "just following orders" type, to do things what is neccessary to protect mankind. I hope Palmer dies if there is a next season. She's too annoying and no where near a spartan should behave.
Quote:
Quote:

Wow you know your right this whole time I thought I hated Palmer for the SAME reason I hated Captain Del Rio(a man) well before his confrontation with Chief. You know things like being, unqualified, arrogant, condescending, short tempered, undisciplined, ignorant, and pretty much any other word that describes someone with a big ego yet always acts like they need to prove something.

Yet you have shown me the truth this whole time, it is because Palmer is a woman and I am threatened by her being a position of power(sarcasm off before I vomit in mouth)......
Quote:
The Palmer hate is for genuine reasons not because shes a strong women in a high position. Halo fans are used to well written likable characters not the rubes in Halo 4 so you can see why the characters rub Halo fans the wrong way. Also Palmer is the most prominent character next to Lasky so you can see why people focus there rage on her.

i found this much more informative. But not grounds to hate her, putting her character in context.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2299461_Something-Happens-to-Commander-Palmer.aspx#post2299461

although feeling the need to state shes the most prominent character in Spartan Ops, where she is doing the most Ordering around....doesnt really help the case against people feeling uncomfortable being her submissive/subordinate. role reveral
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow you know your right this whole time I thought I hated Palmer for the SAME reason I hated Captain Del Rio(a man) well before his confrontation with Chief. You know things like being, unqualified, arrogant, condescending, short tempered, undisciplined, ignorant, and pretty much any other word that describes someone with a big ego yet always acts like they need to prove something.

Yet you have shown me the truth this whole time, it is because Palmer is a woman and I am threatened by her being a position of power(sarcasm off before I vomit in mouth)......
I said something similar I'm glad someone else back me up.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yea you're right, must be exactly the same. Probably why Ive seen 10 times as many Hate Palmer threads. yea, explains everything.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yea you're right, must be exactly the same. Probably why Ive seen 10 times as many Hate Palmer threads. yea, explains everything.
Maybe that's because Del Rio has been demoted to something more suiting like cleaning toilets, I think the UNSC needs to open another position so he can have an assistant....
Quote:
Quote:

i found this much more informative. But not grounds to hate her, putting her character in context.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2299461_Something-Happens-to-Commander-Palmer.aspx#post2299461

although feeling the need to state shes the most prominent character in Spartan Ops, where she is doing the most Ordering around....doesnt really help the case against people feeling uncomfortable being her submissive/subordinate. role reveral
I'm sure if a man read her lines people would still be going this guy isn't a spartan I was saying most characters in Halo 4 are idiots and she's seen and talks the most I'm sure if Madison or Demarco were spewing her ramblings every op we'd hate them as much.
Quote:
Some genuinely don't like her. Some misunderstood her "taller" comment when she first meet Chief. And some are sheep who hate her because it's the "cool" thing to do at the moment.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure if a man read her lines people would still be going this guy isn't a spartan I was saying most characters in Halo 4 are idiots and she's seen and talks the most I'm sure if Madison or Demarco were spewing her ramblings every op we'd hate them as much.
:) I hope so
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3