Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

[Locked] The Crimson Map Pack is free for everyone...

OP Agent Meow Meow

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 18
  4. 19
  5. 20
  6. ...
  7. 21
So was it a genuine mistake or are they now actually saying that the map pack was intentionally done to compensate for the issues with the "14 Day Buy and Play reward token." Hmmm and are the people that actually downloaded the maps for free going to pay for them?

Well according to the Xbox Support twitter and a thread on the Xbox support forums this is the case?
Okay, so this whole affair looks like an innocent mistake that was very poorly handled.
Guessing at things I know nothing about, here's what I believe happened:

1) In an attempt to fix an issue preventing some Season Pass and Limited Edition owners from downloading the Map Pack at no cost, the Specialization Code accidentally began being seen by Halo 4 as the Season Pass, thus allowing anyone who redeemed it to be offered the Map Pack free of charge.

2) After almost a day of no response to this "mixup," Microsoft PR sent out a statement saying:

Quote:
As an additional reward to those customers that participated in our "14 Day, Buy and Play" program (which ran from Nov. 6 – Nov. 20), we are providing complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack for a limited time, through Tuesday, December 18 at 9am UTC/GMT.

There were some initial complications with the distribution of the "14 day, Buy and Play" reward tokens, and so we decided to provide the additional reward of complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack, for a limited time, as a "thank you" to our customers that contributed to the success of the "Halo 4" launch.
I, again with no actual proof, find this statement to be total BS: mostly because it kind of makes the whole situation worse.
This is because
(a) You don't give out $10 map packs for free without making a big deal about it before hand.

(b) You don't give "qualifying" users multiple ways to actually pay money for an item without any notice that they can get it for free; for example, the description of the map pack in the dashboard reads "If you own Halo 4’s “War Game Map Pass,” DO NOT purchase this content here as you will be charged again." It would mention this "14 day, Buy and Play" if it was something they had intended.

(c) For anone who played Halo 4 online before Nov. 20, this "program" makes buying the Season Pass 25% MORE expensive than purchasing the map packs individually instead of 17% cheaper.

So...what should Microsoft do. Before it issued its statement, I would have said to fix the issue and let the people who got the maps for free keep them; after all, accidents happen. However, if Microsoft is going to say this was intentional, then it is going to have to to some other things if they want to keep the trust of the Halo community. First of all, just keep the Crimson Map Pack free forever, and issue an 800 MSP refund to anyone who actually paid money for it. Secondly, either (a) give all current Season Pass owners (and probably Limited Edition owners, as well, but that's a little different) 400 MSP so that they aren't spending more money on their pass than the individual maps, or (b), which is favorite idea, release a forth map pack in Summer 2013; this way Season Pass owners get $30 worth of maps. (And who doesn't like more maps?) Maybe this map pack is three remakes (I assume remaking maps from Halo 2, 3, and Reach is slightly less work than designing new maps from scratch); maybe you make a list of like ten maps and let the community vote on their favorites; hey, I'm just throwing out ideas.

If they aren't going to do any of these things, they at least need to put out official statements on Xbox.com and HaloWaypoint.com, as well as put some kind of notice on the Xbox dashboard so people don't continue to purchase maps they are supposed to get for free.

Anyway, this post is way too long, and to think I would have been totally satisfied if Microsoft just said, "Our bad," and moved on.
You guys are geting mad over 5 bucks? seriously 5$. we got one mp for free not all 3 so its 5$ go get a job
There was nothing saying not to download unless I own map pass or anything of that nature, so I downloaded it. If I get banned I'm done with Xbox period. I'll sell everything and never again purchase Microsoft products for the rest of my life.
Quote:
Enjoy the console ban. :)
Nope.
Somebody needs to and better compensate those of us who PAID for those maps. Those of you saying were acting entitled need to shut your mouths because we PAID for those maps when they were given away for free. I and many other paid for the season pass which included all the map packs.

If i knew that the first map pack was free i wouldnt have wasted my 25 dollars and bought the map packs seperately for CHEAPER/LESS. The crimson map pack was part of a 25 dollar deal so when are you going to compensate us who paid that money for those maps?

Those of you who blinded sheep that are fine with this need to mind your own business because obviously you arent concerned about being taken advantage of. I smell a lawsuit if we arent compensated because what was and is sold to us in the form of a season pass is FALSE ADVERTISING.
I'm mad at the poor business ethics. Sorry but I paid for my stuff why let other people get it for free. Mistake or not. It's bad business.
I personally think the map packs should be free at a certain point, just not the day they come out.... If the maps never become free then you hardly ever get them on MM. Look at Reach as an example, I think I got an anniversary map once outside the Anniversary playlist.
The people who will flame those of us complaining either:

A) Received the maps for free, and thus do not care or;

B) Don't mind having a major corporation screw them and then proceed lie to them.

So I wouldn't pay attention to those who flame us for being "entitled brats", because they just don't get it anyway.
Quote:

B) Don't mind having a major corporation screw them and then proceed lie to them.

So I wouldn't pay attention to those who flame us for being "entitled brats", because they just don't get it anyway.
its 5$ bro. i will mail you $5
Quote:
Quote:

its 5$ bro. i will mail you $5
It's not even about the money. It's the principle. If M$ came out and officially apologized for the mistake to its paying customers, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Mistakes happen, hell even big ones like this. But the fact that they lied about it upsets me a lot.
They convinced me to pay 25 dollars for a season pass that wouldve been cheaper if i would have payed for them seperately. In other words they conned me out of 25 dollars by making it seem like i was getting a good deal when in reality i payed more than what i wouldve if i payed for the map packs seperately.

You people defending this by saying we feel entitled forget why season passes are sold in the first place. Its to make sure they make an automatic profit instead of people maybe just being interested long enough just to buy one map pack. This is like the whole STREET FIGHTER X TEKKEN debacle all over again where we had to pay to unlock 12 characters that were locked on disc.

We payed 25 dollars UP FRONT before the map packs were released just to get them at a discounted price which we in the end had to pay MORE FOR if we purchased the season pass because the first map pass was released FREE OF CHARGE. If i wouldve known this and been given an advanced notice i simply wouldve payed for the map packs seperately.

I love this game as much as the next person and all you have to do is see the amount of time ive spent with the game to know that. Thats doesnt mean im going to be some blinded MORON whos fine with anything a developer/publisher decides to do especially when they offer on item at a certain price point and then sell it cheaper the day that product is released (crimson map pack).

The right thing to do is five us those point back in full since this was a case of FALSE ADVERTISING which is against the law. If i choose ill buy the map pack seperately and if not at least i know what ill be paying for including how much ill be paying for it.
It was already stated by microsoft that it was a mistake this is an official twitter post from them. So I don't know what the hell that other statement was that someone posted from the xbox forum. I think it is just a cover up so people can stop whining. But as I said in the link below this is what they said.

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/278254316253507584
The principle lol..

Dice it up however you want, youre still whining about 5 bucks. Im sure youve gotten more than 5 bucks worth of MS swag over the years too, the scales are even trust me. If people were getting screwed over and over and over and over, BADLY.. I would be nerd raging myself. As it stands, you MAYBE lost 5 bucks.. Boo hoo.
People with the LE and pass have the right to be mad. They got screwed and lied to by 343i and MS because they paid more to what have been promised to them. You dont see a store charging one costumer and than the same cashay broke and the store says to the next costumer "ohh you dont have to pay because our cashay is broken".
Quote:
People with the LE and pass have the right to be mad. They got screwed and lied to by 343i and MS because they paid more to what have been promised to them. You dont see a store charging one costumer and than the same cashay broke and the store says to the next costumer "ohh you dont have to pay because our cashay is broken".
Not anymore since they will make the people pay on the 18th to continue playing those maps through Live.
Quote:
Quote:
Not anymore since they will make the people pay on the 18th to continue playing those maps through Live.
I didn't read this anywhere, I DID read...

Quote:
As an additional reward to those customers that participated in our "14 Day, Buy and Play" program (which ran from Nov. 6 – Nov. 20), we are providing complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack for a limited time, through Tuesday, December 18 at 9am UTC/GMT.

There were some initial complications with the distribution of the "14 day, Buy and Play" reward tokens, and so we decided to provide the additional reward of complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack, for a limited time, as a "thank you" to our customers that contributed to the success of the "Halo 4" launch.
No where in there does it say that the maps will be revoked and that I will have to pay for them if I want to play them. I think what is really going to happen is that everyone who got the map pack for free up until the 18th will have the map pack permanently.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

No where in there does it say that the maps will be revoked and that I will have to pay for them if I want to play them. I think what is really going to happen is that everyone who got the map pack for free up until the 18th will have the map pack permanently.
XBL Twitter Support has started to answer questions about this, and they did say that after the 18th, they will have to pay for them. Its only a trial, not a limited time offer giveaway.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

XBL Twitter Support has started to answer questions about this, and they did say that after the 18th, they will have to pay for them. Its only a trial, not a limited time offer giveaway.
Except you, and whoever told you that, are wrong. Making the official Crimson Map Pack a "time trial" is physically impossible. Once people download the file that contains the maps, 343 or Microsoft can't magically revoke our access to them in-game or on our console.

Only case a time trial could occur is if the file has parameters inside that allow for that, similar to how timed multiplayer demos work, and Crimson does not contain these whatsoever. The Crimson Map Pack was never changed in any way since release, it's the full map pack, files and all. There is no possible way for anybody to "time trial" the maps for those who got the pack free.

The promotion, thus, is allowing for anyone to download the map pack until 12/18.
Dude. MS can just revoke your licence to the product. Simple as that. Next time you log in to live it updates your profile and revokes the licence. No more map pack.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 18
  4. 19
  5. 20
  6. ...
  7. 21