Forums / Games / Halo: Reach and Legacy Halo

The future of Halo anniversary games

OP DankMemesTho

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Within the next few years (after Reach MCC, PC MCC, and Infinite are all said and done), anniversary games are going to come back into the mainstream conversation. I'd like to kick around a couple of ideas and hear a few of yours as well.

===================
HALO 3 ANNIVERSARY
===================

343 did the right thing by focusing on Infinite and expanding support for MCC, but one of the casualties of this was no Halo 3 Anniversary. I think HCEA and H2A have showed us that a two-console generation gap in between the original and the remaster is much more meaningful: H2A is orders of magnitude more complete, beautiful, and true to the original than HCEA was, and it will age much better as well. So once the Xbox Scarlett releases, we will be poised for a graphics/processing jump that could make H3A something really special.

Who knows what's in 343's post-Infinite/MCC roadmap, but Halo 3's 15 year anniversary will be in 2022. That's two years after Infinite's planned release, so the timing really seems perfect.

- H3A Campaign
The campaign should have the toggleable graphics, just like the others. HCEA really botched the entire aesthetic of the original and introduced a few inconsistencies which adversely affected gameplay, not just style. H2A did a much better job in this regard, though there are still a few gameplay interferences. H3A should seek to eliminate gameplay-affecting graphics changes entirely, while honoring the original aesthetic. And let's not forget about some beautiful cutscenes by Blur Studios! Not sure how I feel about the idea of the terminals, when activated in remastered mod, being different experiences than the original, but it's worth exploring. Would give some good replay (or at least "reload checkpoint") value!

- H3A Multiplayer
H2A MP is simply stunning, and does a decent job of feeling like H2C MP while introducing concepts (like power-ups and interactive map elements) that aren't too invasive to the original experience, like sprint might have been. I'd like to see H3A do something similar, utilizing the power and flexibility of the Slipspace engine. I think a Slipspace multiplayer experience that plays like H3 would be a massive hit.

=========================
HALO CE: "REANNIVERSARY"
=========================

I have to admit up front that I think this game actually happening is much less plausible than H3A, but there's still a lot it could offer is 343 ever decided to go down this route. HCEA was only one console generation removed from the original game, and it shows. The graphical leap isn't all that impressive. IMO, the art style is all wrong as well, but that's just a result of poor taste on the newly-christened 343's part, not technology. The 25th anniversary of CE's release would be in 2026. While that's over 7 years out, I think the timeline makes sense. Assuming H3A would come out in 2022 and that another mainline Halo title, Infinite's successor, would come out in 2023 or 2024, this "reanniversary" game (I'll call it HCEA2) could be a solid release to keep things interesting in between major releases. HCEA2 wouldn't just rely on existing content and minor improvements over HCEA, however, but would introduce interesting new content that would make it successful.

- HCEA2 Campaign
The campaign would be 343's big chance to get the remastered CE aesthetic right. Again, toggleable graphics (a mainstay at this point) are a must, but no more gameplay-affecting graphics changes. We've already gotten a taste of what the Pillar of Autumn might look like in a Blur cutscene from its short appearance in H2A, and I don't think there's a single Halo fan who wouldn't like to see what Blur could do with Chief's Mark V Mjolnir armor. There's not much more to say here in terms of campaign. The task, though technically difficult (like all game development), is simple.

- HCEA2 Multiplayer
Like H3A, this would be a true new multiplayer experience powered by Slipspace that would seek to honor the CE's sandbox feeling, but could make small, tasteful liberties to modernize the gameplay. Given that the maps would be mostly remasters of the originals, this game would introduce for the first time the ability to use Forge on official CE maps (outside of the blessed Custom Edition modders, may Yoyorast Island be forever praised). As is the case with every Halo game, if you put powerful tools in the hands of the players, they will create amazing things that keep the game going strong for years to come.

So what do you guys think? Is 343 going to call it quits on anniversary games altogether, or are we finally going to get H3A at some point? Where do Reach and H4 come into play here? Let me know below!
I don’t think we need more Anniversary games. The versions we have now are great and hold up well.
I agree with tuhin94, we have a lot of content to work with right now. I imagine anniversary games might pick back up in a while, maybe after a few new titles have come out. I think H3A is a rumor at best.
We don't need more anniversary games.
Geoffyz wrote:
I agree with tuhin94, we have a lot of content to work with right now. I imagine anniversary games might pick back up in a while, maybe after a few new titles have come out. I think H3A is a rumor at best.
With Infinite release soon and MCC on the PC just down the road, I wouldn't raise your hopes on another anniversary game for a while, as Geo stated.
I would love nothing more than an H3 Anniversary game, but I just don't see it happening. At least not for a long time. But for argument sake, lets say 343 has plans to make an H3A. In that scenario, 343 might want to wait to see how H6 goes. If that game is a huge success that potentially ensures the continuity and strength of the series as a whole, then they might have a good reason to go for it. But until then, it's just too risky with all the other projects they got going. Reach coming to MCC, MCC coming to PC, and Infinite seem to be taking up the lion share of 343's time and resources. So if all of those things go well and expand the community as much as we are all hoping, then H3A could be a great idea to continue improving the whole Halo experience.
Everyone seems to saying that, if H3A ever happened, it wouldn't be for a long time, as if that wasn't a central part of my post. Guys, I agree! 343 should focus on nothing but MCC and Infinite until they are completely done and have been out in the wild for a while.
Yep. Let them focus on Infinite to celebrate the future and the MCC to celebrate the past :)
tuhin94 wrote:
I don’t think we need more Anniversary games. The versions we have now are great and hold up well.
HCEA is not a great anniversary game. The core game it's built on is great, but as far as remasters go, it gets most things wrong.
  • Changed the aesthetic too drastically such that it degrades the originally-intended experience. The mission 343 Guilty Spark is one of the most obvious examples. No more fearsome, dark landscape, but a bright color palette with very long view distances that shatters a lot of the mystery. The overall graphics style also has an overdone cartoonish aspect and oversaturation, turning it into something like a stylized fan made version of the original. You may personally like the way it looks (I certainly do in some places), but it fails at being a true remaster.
  • It has no multiplayer. It's half of a game.
  • It's based on the sloppy Gearbox PC port, so even when when playing in original graphics mode, a lot of little things are wrong.
  • A couple of gameplay issues were introduced. There are MANY places, especially where mountains rocks are present, where the anniversary depiction of an object does not have the same dimensions as the underlying object. This results in what looks like a clear line of fire while peeping around the corner, but when you go to shoot, your projectile hits an invisible wall. Really sucks for the stealth portions. Another minor issue is that Hunters' fuel rod cannon no longer glows green while they're charging up a shot. It just suddenly fires. This indication was a fun part of battling Hunters, allowing for you to anticipate their attacks and get creative. Now it's gone.
I'm not saying that these issues along justify a new game being created, because I totally get wanting only new content for many years to come. But to say that HCEA is a good anniversary game is just wack.
Yep. Let them focus on Infinite to celebrate the future and the MCC to celebrate the past :)
The most recent MCC community update mentioned that they're taking a look at restoring the original version of CE to MCC instead of relying on the Gearbox PC port, which has a bunch of issues. This seems like a huge task, but if they were to do this, then I wouldn't care so much about a HCEA2. H3A, on the other hand... it makes no sense not to eventually make a polished anniversary game for the most popular Halo game ever made. The question isn't "if", but "when".
tuhin94 wrote:
HCEA is not a great anniversary game. The core game it's built on is great, but as far as remasters go, it gets most things wrong.
  • Changed the aesthetic too drastically such that it degrades the originally-intended experience. The mission 343 Guilty Spark is one of the most obvious examples. No more fearsome, dark landscape, but a bright color palette with very long view distances that shatters a lot of the mystery. The overall graphics style also has an overdone cartoonish aspect and oversaturation, turning it into something like a stylized fan made version of the original. You may personally like the way it looks (I certainly do in some places), but it fails at being a true remaster.
  • It has no multiplayer. It's half of a game.
  • It's based on the sloppy Gearbox PC port, so even when when playing in original graphics mode, a lot of little things are wrong.
  • A couple of gameplay issues were introduced. There are MANY places, especially where mountains rocks are present, where the anniversary depiction of an object does not have the same dimensions as the underlying object. This results in what looks like a clear line of fire while peeping around the corner, but when you go to shoot, your projectile hits an invisible wall. Really sucks for the stealth portions. Another minor issue is that Hunters' fuel rod cannon no longer glows green while they're charging up a shot. It just suddenly fires. This indication was a fun part of battling Hunters, allowing for you to anticipate their attacks and get creative. Now it's gone.
I'm not saying that these issues along justify a new game being created, because I totally get wanting only new content for many years to come. But to say that HCEA is a good anniversary game is just wack.
H3A might be nice in a couple years if none of the new titles aren't popular, but I'm beginning to wonder whether you posted about a second HCEA just because of these issues. MCC provides a CE multiplayer experience, right?

I want to know what you think about these questions: Do you think adding anniversary games dilutes the value of the franchise and spreads the player population across too many games? Do you think adding anniversary games is another way of overselling content to customers when it takes too long to create original content?
Honestly, I'm tired of the whole "anniversary/remastered" trend. I think that remasters should be considered in another decade or so to introduce a completely new generation to Halo. I'd prefer to see brand new content rather than replaying something I've played countless times with newer graphics.
Honestly, I'm tired of the whole "anniversary/remastered" trend. I think that remasters should be considered in another decade or so to introduce a completely new generation to Halo. I'd prefer to see brand new content rather than replaying something I've played countless times with newer graphics.
I hear ya. Perhaps my timetable is too short. I really would love to see an H3A someday (maybe the 20th or 25th anniversary are better?), but I totally get not wanting it in the near future.
Geoffyz wrote:
(1) H3A might be nice in a couple years if none of the new titles aren't popular, but I'm beginning to wonder whether you posted about a second HCEA just because of these issues. MCC provides a CE multiplayer experience, right?

I want to know what you think about these questions: (2) Do you think adding anniversary games dilutes the value of the franchise and spreads the player population across too many games? (3) Do you think adding anniversary games is another way of overselling content to customers when it takes too long to create original content?
  1. Regarding HCEA2, of course. I wouldn't want another anniversary version of CE, now or ever, if I thought the existing one was good. But we might just have to live with mediocre so 343 can continue to focus and newer and great things.
  2. This is a really good point. Because of this issue alone (population dilution), perhaps HCEA2 will never be a good idea. Better to keep MCC supported for the long haul.
  3. Whether it's "overselling" or just "selling" all depends on whether anniversary content is being used as a crutch in place of new, original content or as a supplement to it. If 343 can't make Infinite a slam dunk, then they absolutely shouldn't spend time on side stuff like this. No one would've wanted ODST or the Halo 3 multiplayer DLC it came with if Halo 3 itself has been a flop. We'll just have to see if 343 can deliver on Infinite and thus create an atmosphere where fans are willing to try out secondary things.
I think this is an excellent point. Take Disney for an example of a company that remasters and re-releases old movies every generation or so. Every couple years they update movies like Snow White, Little Mermaid, etc. They updated from VHS to DVD, DVD to Blu Ray, and Blu Ray to what we are seeing now with movies like Dumbo and Mowgli. Their timetable is a bit shorter because kids get born every day, but the same principle applies to a game like Halo. Wait to redo a game when there is a new generation of gamers ready to experience it.
  1. Regarding HCEA2, of course. I wouldn't want another anniversary version of CE, now or ever, if I thought the existing one was good. But we might just have to live with mediocre so 343 can continue to focus and newer and great things.
  2. This is a really good point. Because of this issue alone (population dilution), perhaps HCEA2 will never be a good idea. Better to keep MCC supported for the long haul.
  3. Whether it's "overselling" or just "selling" all depends on whether anniversary content is being used as a crutch in place of new, original content or as a supplement to it. If 343 can't make Infinite a slam dunk, then they absolutely shouldn't spend time on side stuff like this. No one would've wanted ODST or the Halo 3 multiplayer DLC it came with if Halo 3 itself has been a flop. We'll just have to see if 343 can deliver on Infinite and thus create an atmosphere where fans are willing to try out secondary things.
Agreed. I think MCC is a very useful existing platform that could end up being the hub for Halo - if it isn't already. Has anyone discussed releasing future new Halo content right onto MCC? Maybe this is a bad idea if someone wants to download one of the games, but not all of them.

BTW, nice formatting. I'll have to start taking better care of my posts lol.
I hear ya. Perhaps my timetable is too short. I really would love to see an H3A someday (maybe the 20th or 25th anniversary are better?), but I totally get not wanting it in the near future.
I'd be down for a 20th or 30th anniversary, yeah. I'm glad to see that other people have the same feelings/thoughts.

I think this is an excellent point. Take Disney for an example of a company that remasters and re-releases old movies every generation or so. Every couple years they update movies like Snow White, Little Mermaid, etc. They updated from VHS to DVD, DVD to Blu Ray, and Blu Ray to what we are seeing now with movies like Dumbo and Mowgli. Their timetable is a bit shorter because kids get born every day, but the same principle applies to a game like Halo. Wait to redo a game when there is a new generation of gamers ready to experience it.
Your Disney example is great! There's no need to redo or "remaster" classic movies. I'm disappointed in Disney because of all these live action remakes. Some of them are really cringe worthy and I just don't like it. I mean, c'mon! Are you telling me that no one out there has and/or can come up with a new, refreshing ideas for movies? Anyway, I digress.

Halo Anniversary titles should be slated every decade or so. It's a sign of the times to respect when Halo first started in 2001 and it introduces this legendary series to a new generation of gamers.
The most recent MCC community update mentioned that they're taking a look at restoring the original version of CE to MCC instead of relying on the Gearbox PC port, which has a bunch of issues. This seems like a huge task, but if they were to do this, then I wouldn't care so much about a HCEA2. H3A, on the other hand... it makes no sense not to eventually make a polished anniversary game for the most popular Halo game ever made. The question isn't "if", but "when".
Absolutely mate. It may not be for a while yet but Halo 3 Anniversary is all but guaranteed. I imagine they'll give it the full works too. An exciting proposition indeed :D
tuhin94 wrote:
I'd like to see Halo 3 remastered.
I’m not sure why everyone is saying that we don’t ever need a Halo 3 Anniversary. Clearly they missed how awesome Halo 2 Anniversary was.

(although I do agree that there is no rush and Infinite is the priority)
I’m not sure why everyone is saying that we don’t ever need a Halo 3 Anniversary. Clearly they missed how awesome Halo 2 Anniversary was.

(although I do agree that there is no rush and Infinite is the priority)
This is basically the attitude that I hope 343 and most of the fans have about it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2