Forums / Games / Halo: Reach and Legacy Halo

The Plasma Repeater And Needle Rifle In Reach

OP Nightcaster460

How did you feel about their inclusions? I feel that they're clones of existing weapons. The Repeater is a clone of the Plasma Rifle, and the Needle Rifle is a heavy semi-automatic Needler with a zoom, and the shots don't follow the enemy. I don't mind a Covenant rifle with shots that explode, but why did they make it look like the Needler and give it the name "Needle Rifle?"
Personally, i've always liked the needle rifle, especially in MLG no bloom playlist, and i'd like to see it back in Infinite (not gonna happen imo). It's a replacement for the carbine, but it's fully automatic.
Quote:
Regarding Covenant weapons, a "rifle" is used not to describe the technical of the weapon itself, but in the role it plays on the battlefield. For example, the Plasma Pistol and Plasma Rifle, while similar, are used in two different ways. Basically, a rifle is larger than a pistol, often requiring two hands to use (except while dual-wielding), but is smaller than a heavy weapon like a Brute Shot or Fuel Rod weapon. This applies to the Plasma Rifle, Brute Plasma Rifle and Beam Rifle. The Covenant Carbine is also considered a rifle and the Type-25 Carbine (commonly called a Spiker or a "Spike Rifle") can fit into this list as well.
Personally, i've always liked the needle rifle, especially in MLG no bloom playlist, and i'd like to see it back in Infinite (not gonna happen imo). It's a replacement for the carbine, but it's fully automatic.
Quote:
Regarding Covenant weapons, a "rifle" is used not to describe the technical of the weapon itself, but in the role it plays on the battlefield. For example, the Plasma Pistol and Plasma Rifle, while similar, are used in two different ways. Basically, a rifle is larger than a pistol, often requiring two hands to use (except while dual-wielding), but is smaller than a heavy weapon like a Brute Shot or Fuel Rod weapon. This applies to the Plasma Rifle, Brute Plasma Rifle and Beam Rifle. The Covenant Carbine is also considered a rifle and the Type-25 Carbine (commonly called a Spiker or a "Spike Rifle") can fit into this list as well.
I see. :)
I liked the inclusion of the needle rifle as a replacement of sorts for the carbine rifle but the plasma repeater's inclusion just felt unnecessary, like why was it there along with the plasma rifle? Always seemed stupid and I notice that it barely gets touched (by anyone) in most online matches I play (mostly gets picked up if someone is trying to respawn a weapon) and I think I used it like a couple of times whenever playing the campaign.
J my Angel wrote:
I liked the inclusion of the needle rifle as a replacement of sorts for the carbine rifle but the plasma repeater's inclusion just felt unnecessary, like why was it there along with the plasma rifle? Always seemed stupid and I notice that it barely gets touched (by anyone) in most online matches I play (mostly gets picked up if someone is trying to respawn a weapon) and I think I used it like a couple of times whenever playing the campaign.
Yeah, I find the weapon an odd inclusion. If the game had dual-wielding it would have made sense. Difference from the Plasma Rifle is that it does more damage and doesn't overheat, but the fire rate decreases when fired for too long.
J my Angel wrote:
Yeah, I find the weapon an odd inclusion. If the game had dual-wielding it would have made sense. Difference from the Plasma Rifle is that it does more damage and doesn't overheat, but the fire rate decreases when fired for too long.
Actually, the fire rate decrease of the Plasma Repeater is the weapon overheating; you have to wait for the gun to cool down again or press X to vent before you can fire it again ;)

I find the Plasma Repeater to be an enjoyable weapon, particularly in Firefight Score Attack, where it downs hordes of Grunts with ease, and its more rapid firing is useful against Brutes and Elites, particularly if the Brutes are using Spikers or Plasma Rifles themselves, and if the Elites are dual-wielding Plasma Rifles.
It's one of the sorts of weapons that you have to learn how to use it in the right way that best suits the gameplay, or else yeah, you're gonna find that it sucks XD

As for the Needle Rifle, same sorta thing. You need to work out where it fits best into the gameplay, because you're not gonna have the best time at using it
I find it works well for headshotting troublesome Jackals, and you can take out Grunts a lot faster than if you have a Needler (not that Needlers aren't handy, of course, but their range makes it suitable for close-quarters). I've found myself time and again making great use of the Needle Rifle, pinging Covie after Covie from far away, although the Brutes do tend to dive to one side, which can be frustrating (pinging them with the DMR from far away works better, I have found)

This is just my opinion, coming from a gamer who has played one too many hours of Score Attack Firefight because it's a whole lot more fun, and it's not quite as broken as most of the Matchmade games are.... :P
The Plasma Repeater is pathetic, it's only superior in rate of fire for a split second over the Assault Rifle but the dealbreaker is the whole hitscan versus not hitscan, the counterpart thing wasn't necessary since several weapons do things differently from the other side.

The Needle Rifle has an extra at least, not just an automatic DMR with a weaker scope...but superior rate of fire can give you the victory if scopes are involved, the Needler is a short ranged weapon (and the anti-jetpack weapon too) .

I find the Plasma Repeater to be an enjoyable weapon, particularly in Firefight Score Attack, where it downs hordes of Grunts with ease, and its more rapid firing is useful against Brutes and Elites, particularly if the Brutes are using Spikers or Plasma Rifles themselves, and if the Elites are dual-wielding Plasma Rifles.
It's one of the sorts of weapons that you have to learn how to use it in the right way that best suits the gameplay, or else yeah, you're gonna find that it sucks XD
You can also use a Plasma Pistol which is superior at everything but velocity and maybe health damage, you can easily run the entire round if used with a NR (and become your main damage dealer like in Combat Evolved if you really want) .

When facing Brutes, the PP usually stun them after multiple shots but you can use the NR I suppose, it doesn't work very well against Elites since they have short animations when stunned.
Interesting thing about the Plasma Repeater is that it deals more damage to health than shields. I generally don't touch it. The Needle Rifle, however, is a godsend when fighting Brutes. It supercombines in only 3 hits
The Needle Rifle felt good in my hands, and was what I think to be the best weapon to deal with unshielded Brutes. The Plasma Repeater was also fun to use too.
The Needle Rifle was very useful and versatile. The Needle Rifle had a good chance at making the enemy AI roll or jump to dodge the shot, which could buy you an extra couple of seconds to stick them with a well placed plasma grenade without repercussion. It was also good to have in the Campaign with the DMR or Magnum as the other weapon. Basically use your DMR and Magnum to headshot unshielded enemies (Save Hunters), and use your Needle Rifle on Shielded Elites, as if you took out their shield, it would take an extra couple of seconds to recharge. Basically from there, you can switch to your other weapon and headshot them, or keep unloading into them for a potential supercombine. This oddly worked for me despite feedback I hear from others.

The Plasma Repeater was ok, only really fun to use in Close Quarters, as it lacked in promise otherwise.