Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

[Locked] Theater Question - skipping ahead

OP Doc Snodgrass

How do you skip ahead in the video in the theater? I know you can fast-forward, which is only 2X faster ... I've played around for a few minutes trying to figure it out, there has to be a better way than sitting there for 10 minutes on 2X >>.
There is no way sadly, you need to have watched through the whole clip first.

However, if you hold down the fast forward button, while holding hit, hit the Start button, then let go of the fast forward button and unpause, it will continue fast forwarding by itself, that works in Halo 3 & ODST as well I believe.
You can skip backward in big chunks, I don't get why they wouldn't make it an option ... probably ran out of time while programming it.
Quote:
You can skip backward in big chunks, I don't get why they wouldn't make it an option ... probably ran out of time while programming it.
I have no idea if what I am saying will be correct but I think its pretty close so here goes:

For Reach, Halo 3 and ODST, the Theater system doesn't actually 'record' games like a capture card does, it stores the game data in your Hard Drive and plays it back, it doesn't actually record it, just like in-game, you can just skip ahead without knowing what is next, which is why Theater can't, its like a bot, replaying a 100% perfect copy of what you just played, at the same pace.

They could have added more fast forward options but they must have been limited on time.

I know it bites but its the best they could have probably got with technology for that time.
Quote:
However, if you hold down the fast forward button, while holding hit, hit the Start button, then let go of the fast forward button and unpause, it will continue fast forwarding by itself, that works in Halo 3 & ODST as well I believe.
It does not work in ODST, and it's 3x speed, not 2x.

Quote:
I have no idea if what I am saying will be correct but I think its pretty close so here goes:

For Reach, Halo 3 and ODST, the Theater system doesn't actually 'record' games like a capture card does, it stores the game data in your Hard Drive and plays it back, it doesn't actually record it, just like in-game, you can just skip ahead without knowing what is next, which is why Theater can't, its like a bot, replaying a 100% perfect copy of what you just played, at the same pace.

They could have added more fast forward options but they must have been limited on time.

I know it bites but its the best they could have probably got with technology for that time.
That's a bit of a weird way to explain it IMO.

Now see a capture card captures the entire state of the screen at each moment in time. And this is nice since you can go back and forth and dip in any out and skip back and forther.

But if you want to view the action from any angle (crucial feature of theatre), you need to capture the entire world state - the location of every object in the entire world. But this is a huge amount of data if you do it 30 times every second for minutes.

Instead what theatre in Halo does is capture the start state of the clip, then the inputs (your sticks, network traffic) and feeds that into the game engine and re-creates it frame by frame. Instead of you playing live, it has a recording of you playing and uses that. This data is very very small in comparison.

The reason it can skip back is because periodically it does save the entire world state (kind of like a 'checkpoint' does) as you're playing through the recording.

The reason these aren't stored in the recording in advance is probably two fold:
1. Bugs/technical issues - how many do you choose and when do you make them when you don't know how long the game will go on in advanced? (a film could be 5 minutes or 5 hours).
2. Size problems - compare the size of a film 'clip' to a normal recording. Even small clips can be over a megabyte while normal saved films can use that size for 10 minutes of gameplay! Thats how big an entire 'world state' save is for just one moment in time. Imagine 5 of those in every saved film - massive!

Is that any clearer?
Yeah, thanks for taking the time to explain it out!
RhysWX wrote:

this is actually really helpful because i have 30 minute clips i want to take screenshots of and i'd rather not hold the right trigger for that amount of time
RhysWX wrote:

Doesn't seem to work on PC
AGT Idaho wrote:
RhysWX wrote:

this is actually really helpful because i have 30 minute clips i want to take screenshots of and i'd rather not hold the right trigger for that amount of time
Please don't revive old topics thanks especially one from 2012