Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

What do you think of the Halo CE Anniversary?

OP slamwarrior2007

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Just curious on other people's thoughts on the Halo CE campaign remaster.
Overall it was pretty good. I didn't like how the geometry didn't line up with the original, but it wasn't enough to make it a bad remaster by any means. I played through it a lot of times, the most recent was about 2 months ago, and have had lots of fun.
The geometry was irritating. But other than that, it was great.
I still like playing the Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary on Steam. The game still need some improvements. Hopefully 343 Industries will fix the original Halo Combat Evolved PC graphics to make it look more like the original Halo Combat Evolved Xbox version.
As the first in its series to be anniversarized I was used to the graphics at first and surprised but the shines gone away for me. The game looking back at it wasn't all that great. I recently watched this YouTube video that kind of detailed the production problems and drama around the game and it really highlighted something that's bothered me about the game that I never realized before.

The lighting of the game and geometry. The cut scenes too.
I see both sides of the issue on CEA. On the one hand, I totally empathize with the dinosaurs like myself who feel the original dark and mysterious atmosphere of CE was negatively altered by CEAs use of better lighting in more ominous levels. But on the other hand, CE's graphics are extremely dated, and I understand that newer players will appreciate the more enhanced graphical experience.

In short, I think CEA is a net benefit to the franchise.
I don’t like it.
Most of the artstyle is unfitting. Didn’t stay loyal to the original at all, I don’t think they successfully did any of the factions very well. They also forgot tons of details, the most obvious example would be on 343 GS.
Too bright is a classic reason, and I agree for the most part with that.
Geometry is terrible, ending of TB in the banshee, anyone?
Graphically it aged extremely bad extremely fast.
Outdoors nature looks ok, but the geometry and all the other things still make me play on classic.
The soundtrack was pretty well made but sound balancing was horrible, I can’t hear Cortana behind the music sometimes and stuff like that.
I think it’s a bit of a shame that they based it on the pc version too, small differences but it’s a shame still since it affects the classic visuals too.

It’s really a great concept that I wish they remade again now that the company has way more experience with the franchise.
Its okay, but it looks like Stark Freaking Industries every where.
The main issue with the anniversary edition of Halo CE is probably that the graphics aren't a proper representation of the geometry. This is usually an issue when navigating the level geometry as sometimes, you may encounter an invisible barrier in an areas which appears to be open or that a wall isn't solid.

Other than that, the anniversary edition has few advantages like the addition of skulls and that the anniversary graphics may be uses to ease to process of navigating outside the map boundaries.
I thought it was good, but then playing H2A... H2A blew it out of the water, granted it came out much later
adhocRONIN wrote:
I thought it was good, but then playing H2A... H2A blew it out of the water, granted it came out much later
Do agree with that, BLUR studios just showed where outsourcing talent can monumentally take the Halo stock to the moon.
Like others, I was not a fan of the geometry (for character models and environments) and the lighting. But, I did not like the lighting in only a few levels such as 343 Guilty Spark. That level was way too bright and colorful. Otherwise, most of the levels look pretty sweet. Overall, I thought it was a cool remaster.

Of course, CEA pales in comparison to H2A. H2A looks as jaw-dropping as the original H2 did when it was new. That said, I think both CEA and H2A hold up well.
tuhin94 wrote:
Like others, I was not a fan of the geometry (for character models and environments) and the lighting. But, I did not like the lighting in only a few levels such as 343 Guilty Spark. That level was way too bright and colorful. Otherwise, most of the levels look pretty sweet. Overall, I thought it was a cool remaster.

Of course, CEA pales in comparison to H2A. H2A looks as jaw-dropping as the original H2 did when it was new. That said, I think both CEA and H2A hold up well.
I totally forgot about the blood smeared elevator shaft missing on 343GS after you mentioned the mission. That was a damn shame.
Also have to remember its age though- it's older than Halo 4 and some of the art style choices were certainly linked to that
At first I liked it, but the more I played it the less I felt it was faithful to the original Bungie designs. Things didn't line up properly and the art style didn't feel fitting, and the levels such as 343 Guilty Spark or The Library lost a lot of the creep factor it had in it's original graphics as a result of them turning the brightness up to 11. Also I know this one is more subjective, but I don't get that same sense of wonder when first on the ring in anniversary graphics that I do in original graphics, though maybe I've just played it too many times to get that feeling as much anymore. I am very happy with the anniversary version of Halo 2's campaign though, I think they did a good job there.
Was very good. The graphics did not seem that great for 2011 as compared to Halo 2 Anniversary in 2014. They weren't horrible graphics but probably could have been better. But what a great Game!
For it's time, I thought they were pretty good for 2011, still hated the Library though.
I think it totally sucks. It ruined the aesthetic of literally every level except for AotCR, reused assets from Reach, ridiculously bright flood levels, completely inaccurate geometry and the music, oh my god the music.
tuhin94 wrote:

Yeah, the Lighting was off sometimes as well as the Geometry. The Cutscenes use to have a low Frame-rate as well, but I think that in this recent update they fixed that, which to me was the biggest problem with Halo CE Anniversary. Even with those problems though, I thoroughly enjoyed CE anniversary and thought that it was great!
adhocRONIN wrote:
Do agree with that, BLUR studios just showed where outsourcing talent can monumentally take the Halo stock to the moon.
Agree, I am playing with a friend who never played H2 before and his words were something like man these cutscenes are like watching a movie.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2