Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Which game to get?

OP FestivHunter

I made a post about this a while back, and chose to get Reach. Now I'm wondering which game to get next?
  1. Halo 4
  2. Halo 3 ODST
  3. Halo CEA
Which game should I get next??
I know Halo 4's multiplayer is kinda like CoD, I have played CoD and thoroughly enjoy it, although it is nothing like halo.
Halo 3 ODST's campaign looks pretty cool, not so much the firefight. I have Reach for that.
And halo CEA . This would be cool to play, although do people still play the multiplayer? Is there a multiplayer?

let me know what you guys think down below.
Thanks!

Edit: I am a big multiplayer guy. I’m very competitive.
Spoiler:
Show
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary doesn't have a multiplayer (though it does have campaign cooperation). The multiplayer maps included are for Halo: Reach as part of the Anniversary Map Pack.

Halo 3: ODST has a unique campaign that requires a lot of caution. You have to remember that you are not a juggernaut Spartan in this game; you can't just go rushing into battle, especially on higher difficulties. Halo 3: ODST's Firefight is also different from Halo: Reach's, so don't make the mistake and think you will be getting the same experience.

As for Halo 4, I can't really say what state the multiplayer is in right now as I haven't loaded up the game in years but the campaign is easily my favourite.

Overall, it depends on what you are looking to get out of a game. If you want more of a campaign experience then I would suggest getting Halo 3: ODST.
If you’re achivment hunting get ODST first. If playing for fun get 4 since multiplayer is still somewhat active
I'd say ODST. You probably can't get into a match in Halo 4 but don't hold me to that since I haven't tried in about a year.
I'd Recommend to Play Halo: Combat Evolved Original With some Patches and Things Its Multiplayer is Still alive and Be sure to Get Halo: Custom edition With it.
I'd recommend ODST for sure. Halo is known for doing campaign very well and ODST is a great example of that. I don't want to spoil any more since the game itself is best experienced without knowing too much beyond that it's unique and very good. Plus, FF is very pure and fun too.

H4's campaign is great, but Prometheans are very boring to fight. That is a glaring flaw, but the campaign is otherwise quite good. H4's MP is only good for BTB, in my mind, because it's super chaotic and is arguably one of the best iterations of BTB. The other modes don't flow all that well.

CEA is a good option if you have not played CE yet or if you don't like the above two. I liked playing through the campaign again with the new graphics. It's not perfect by any means, but a good time nonetheless.

I know this is all vague, but it's best to experience the games first hand. I figured a short summary of good and bad would give you enough of an idea to decide which to pick.
Definitely grab yourself ODST. You will have a great time and feel really immersed in the story. I wouldn't touch Halo 4 if I were you. The story has no depth, the enemies are a nuisance to battle, and you will be bored in no time.
On 360? If so, if you're a big mp guy go for halo 4 because that's the most active on 360 servers.
If you don't mind older graphics but a really good campaign I think CEA campaign is better than ODST & 4. While there's Anniversary graphics it doesn't match the Original CE hitbox especially on Elites so they're Heads are bigger with New graphics and you may miss hitting them for old graphics they have smaller heads.. same thing with walls or mountains if you switch back and forth in graphics you can see what's really there and not. Halo CEA doesn't have its own multiplayer engine on X360 and uses Halo: Reach Anniversary maps (DLC) as a single playlist with 1 firefight playlist including 1 map, this is DLC and can be downloaded for free and played on Halo: Reach too. If CEA isn't your first choice Im not telling what to buy but only recommend what I would buy if I was in your position. I put Halo 4 in second place then ODST but if you want to buy another Bungie Halo game then ODST it is, if not CEA was your choice. My personal recommendation: #1 CEA, #2 H4, #3 ODST! Edit, my recommendation was based on Campaigns.. H4 is the only game worth playing Multiplayer.. CEA (Reach DLC is Dead), ODST has no Matchmaking lobby you must send invites to players from they're Xbox profile.. H4 you can play some multiplayer games but you will encounter "Xbox Live connection Lost" and must restart the game by going to dashboard and back on H4 its very frustrating and happened to me daily many times for me H4 online is unplayable, this only happened to me on H4 no other Halo or any other Xbox games I can only think it's a H4 problem as I know of more players that I tried playing with disconnected more than twice in an hour or two. I no longer play legacy titles for online the games old and probably will never get fixed. MCC is the best place for Legacy halo, lookout for Black Friday sales for Series S/X the sale might be bigger next year since it's not completely brand new and recently released. Legacy halo is good for your Halo gamer score too in 2020+! Hopefully this message helps you out. Another Edit, MCC is also available on Xbox One but here in UK new XBOne costs as much as the soon releasing Series S. All digital XBOne is the cheapest ever but it's out of stock pretty much everywhere even eBay I couldn't see cheap prices for XBOne today. Xbox Series is the future gaming and money wise lookout for Black Friday sales this or the next!
I'd Recommend to Play Halo: Combat Evolved Original With some Patches and Things Its Multiplayer is Still alive and Be sure to Get Halo: Custom edition With it.
He uses Xbox 360 platform, you have stated PC Halo games. I just want to clarify for FestivHunter the guy who made the post. Halo: CE demo back in 2006'ish was lots of fun, my beginning into Online gaming ever and I was always carrying my teams good times.
I'd personally say go for 4. CEA does have multiplayer, but it's just a slightly modified version of Reach. That and the player base is completely dead. ODST is a solid choice as it's campaign is quite nice. I'd also say give it's firefight a better look since playing as an ODST is different than playing as a spartan in Reach which gives it an overall different feel from Reach's firefight. 4 is overall the most sold buy as you get it's Campaign (which I think is good), Spartan Ops (which is ok), and multiplayer though beware as its multiplayer is mostly dead but you still can get a couple of games of Big team battle and maybe slayer. The Character customization is also nice.
Anyone but I do not recommend Halo CE anniversary, personally I did not like the remastered graphics, I prefer to play it originally.
By the way, if you get CEA or Halo 4 (I sadly don't own ODST, only it's MCC version), I can join and play with you if you want. I don't have a mic so it'll be mostly silent and text based. Still, if you need someone, just ask me!
By the way, if you get CEA or Halo 4 (I sadly don't own ODST, only it's MCC version), I can join and play with you if you want. I don't have a mic so it'll be mostly silent and text based. Still, if you need someone, just ask me!
Ok if I ever need a custom game buddy I’ll hit you up!