Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Which method of unlocking armor is most rewarding?

OP Uber Penguin452

By this question I mean either the Halo 3 method of preforming certain tasks and achievements in order to get certain armor pieces, or the Halo Reach method of earning credits to get certain armor pieces.

For me personally, I like how Halo 3 handled armor.
Halo 3 made every piece of armor have value attached to it. It also came along side with a feeling of prestige and respect for people who fight against or with players using certain armors. If you saw a MARK V or Security set for example you know they had put time and effort into the game.
I personally preferred the Halo 3 method of unlocking armour where it was tied to achievements. The armour in that game represented just how hard you had to work for to get certain pieces.

The Halo: Reach method, however, is nothing more than a grind that gets more tedious when you rank up. There is barely any incentive to get to Forerunner or Reclaimer due to you having unlocked every thing.
For me beating the campaign on Legendary like in Halo 4 is a rewarding method as it's very difficult to go through this but when you're finally done with it, it is very very satisfying when you get all pieces of the armor.
Key word: value. Also- progression, rarity. I want to see something and have that old feeling games used to give me: like wow how do I get THAT?!
Anytime someone asks me about a progression system for cosmetics, I always point towards halo 3. Achievement based grinds. Do it solo or grab a buddy and try to unlock what you could. No payment required.

Getting Full EOD armor was an achievement in itself because you knew that someone had beaten the campaign on legendary. Needless to say about Katana armor set, Security, and of course Recon.

I wish 343 would have implemented that instead of the battle pass progression system and just giving them all to us. But that’s just me.
By this question I mean either the Halo 3 method of preforming certain tasks and achievements in order to get certain armor pieces, or the Halo Reach method of earning credits to get certain armor pieces.For me personally, I like how Halo 3 handled armor.
Reach's system easily
x N7 117 x wrote:
There is barely any incentive to get to Forerunner or Reclaimer due to you having unlocked every thing.
But you haven't unlocked everything until you get to Inheritor. If someone is determined to have it all then that's all the incentive they need, even if it is just one helmet variation.
J my Angel wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
There is barely any incentive to get to Forerunner or Reclaimer due to you having unlocked every thing.
But you haven't unlocked everything until you get to Inheritor. If someone is determined to have it all then that's all the incentive they need, even if it is just one helmet variation.
The Haunted Helmet is the exception. There is barely any incentive, I said.
x N7 117 x wrote:
J my Angel wrote:
x N7 117 x wrote:
The Haunted Helmet is the exception. There is barely any incentive, I said.
If someone is determined to have it all then that's all the incentive they need, I said.

You also said due to having unlocked everything and that's not true so I was simply correcting you.
Really, anything but Halo 5’s insulting and bloated system.
halo 3 was the challenege but reach was also good
I can appreciate Halo 3's system. But Reach's cR in-game economy wins out for me. It allowed player choice to constitute a major part of the unlock system, and that made it the most rewarding armory in the history of the franchise to me. 343i failed to recreate its appeal in the MCC re-release, unfortunately.
I really enjoyed Halo 3s method. It made a lot of people that never played campaign, play it. Finding the skulls was a ton of fun.