1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
Quote:
I've seen so many posts on here from "casual" people against the game having a competitive side, such as visible ranks and playlist with competitive settings. What I want to know is why? having those things will affect you in no way at all, making playlists for competitive settings doesn't mean you will be forced to play them and having a rank affects you in no way either so what's your reasoning for being against them so much?
Why?

Visable ranks
The racism, sexism, outright disgraceful behavior of the "competitive gamer" was enough to put me off having a visible ranking system. You know my wife and I used to play Halo 3 together until the "competitive gamer" decided to spam harass her and myself through game, via messages.
Forums were full of kids comparing e-peens and flat out insulting anyone who was not a 5 star general. Every game the lobby was full of abuse, even in the damn social playlists.

Games were ruined by the endless stream of multiple accounts. %star generals posing as recruits, recruits posing as five star generals because they bought their account off eBay.

That said i don't have anything against thier being a viable ranking system. There just needs to be an option to hide it if the player chooses.
Quote:
Quote:
I've seen so many posts on here from "competitive" people against the game having a casual side.....
No, we just hate it not having a competitive side.

We were fine with Halo 3, it had both and was the best Live game to date.
This, the casual side is good, you can just chill out and relax in those games. The problem is that a lot of people don't really care about winning and the skill gap between players is so large that games get boring if you are winning by huge margins all the time. Ranked games in Halo 3 were by far the most fun I've ever had playing online and I'm sure a lot of other players will agree me with. The games just have a different feeling to them, knowing that that number next to your name could go up or down according to the results of a game made it worth something and now since reach, players that also enjoyed that side of the game have basically been tossed aside, all we want is the playlist system and ranking system from halo 3 back, that's all. Doing that will have no affect on the people who don't want it so there isn't really any proper argument against it.

And as for boosters, they really were nothing like what people make them out to be from Halo 3, you only ever saw them very rarely in team doubles and in any other playlist you were pretty much always fine.
Quote:
Quote:
I've seen so many posts on here from "casual" people against the game having a competitive side, such as visible ranks and playlist with competitive settings. What I want to know is why? having those things will affect you in no way at all, making playlists for competitive settings doesn't mean you will be forced to play them and having a rank affects you in no way either so what's your reasoning for being against them so much?
Why?

Visable ranks
The racism, sexism, outright disgraceful behavior of the "competitive gamer" was enough to put me off having a visible ranking system. You know my wife and I used to play Halo 3 together until the "competitive gamer" decided to spam harass her and myself through game, via messages.
Forums were full of kids comparing e-peens and flat out insulting anyone who was not a 5 star general. Every game the lobby was full of abuse, even in the damn social playlists.

Games were ruined by the endless stream of multiple accounts. %star generals posing as recruits, recruits posing as five star generals because they bought their account off eBay.

That said i don't have anything against thier being a viable ranking system. There just needs to be an option to hide it if the player chooses.
Please don't toss us all into that pot, most of us will say GG after a game, mainly the only ones that will be like that are the MLG tryhards (being competitive does not mean this) and kids that can't deal with being beaten. Also all games have that side to them and that's why you can mute people in games and also block all communications from their Live profile.
Quote:
Quote:
Why?

Visable ranks

We're not all like that....

But yes, I do agree with the last part. One should be allowed to not see the ranks, and not have their rank seen while still enjoying the ranking system that pairs them with players of similar skill.
Quote:
Quote:
Why?

Visable ranks

Just because someone is mean and/or better than you at the game doesn't mean they are what we refer to as a "competitive gamer"

we're not all "kids comparing e-peens" ya know...
Quote:
Haven't seen any of those posts at all, majority for all i see are "no spec's email", "Code trade for ****", & the usual nonconstructive criticism complaint threads.
Quote:
Quote:
Haven't seen any of those posts at all, majority for all i see are "no spec's email", "Code trade for ****", & the usual nonconstructive criticism complaint threads.

Go into any thread that talks about ranks and you'll see them
What's the point in having a shooter game, in which we kill the -Yoink- out of each other, that isn't competitive? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I just don't understand why people are against it. The game would benefit greatly in the long run, but I guess 343i must be content with their games plummeting population...
Quote:
Quote:
Why?

Visable ranks

1) Use the mute all option or party chat

2) Go ask MS for an option to block messages from unknown people

3) You are a full grown adult, why on earth do you care what a bunch of internet gangsters have to say on a videogame?

When people throw racism at me, I multiply the ignorance and slurs a thousand fold in good fun or I mut my team and play really annoyign sounds on my headset till they mute me. When they get homophobic I act so steroetypically homosexual and attracted to them they see rainbows. Its actually a lot of fun lol. Just laugh at it and have fun with it. Grow a thicker skin.
Social and Ranked playlists are the answer. In social, casuals hardly ever have to worry about facing "Johnny E-peen" and in ranked, competitive players get what they want without anybody getting their feelings hurt about their rank not being that high.

Win win.
Quote:
Social and Ranked playlists are the answer. In social, casuals hardly ever have to worry about facing "Johnny E-peen" and in ranked, competitive players get what they want without anybody getting their feelings hurt about their rank not being that high.

Win win.
Quote:
It is not Competitiveness that i am against, it is elitism and orthodoxy. Many 'competitive' players deny changes and differences in new titles. They are like the religious nutjobs who try to have science and evolution taken out of schools. If it was up to them the game would have massively stagnated...pretty much becoming the same game with better graphics maybe each time. This would make people board and complain that the game is not evolving like they said with MW3.

This would then damage sales, and Halo as a franchise would die.
^^this, though to play devils advocate. there's nothing wrong with some change, but radical change is not good. Halo 4 did this; it deviate a bit too much by reducing the skill gap to zero -_- for example: by noobifing skill weapons like the DMR and BR with tons of aim assist and magnetism (witch is why i dont use ether anymore) basically with out some competitiveness (SUCH AS HAVING A SKILL GAP PRESENT) the game is boring.

(the DMR and BR thing is just a small example of how they reduced the skill gap and by doing so removed some competitiveness out of the game)
Oh God, this community hurts my brain sometimes.

Visual skill indicators is the LIFEBLOOD of ANY game worth its mettle.

Look at the PC. Starcraft 2 and League of Legends are some of the BIGGEST GAMES in the world. Do you really think people are whining about those games because they have VALID and ACCURATE ranking systems? No, no they are not. You'd have to be CRAZY to argue that having a visual indicator towards your ACTUAL skill is a bad thing.

It gives players a reason to keep playing, it indicates your progress and something to work towards. It's not about measuring e-peens, it's about having a system that you personally can work towards and feel accomplished when you do well. It's about getting placed against harder and harder opponents to see how far you can take it. It's about actually trying, because matches matter.

If you are against a visual ranking system, you should re-evaluate your stance. Because it literally means you do not care about the game.

H4 right now: "It's a game where everyone wins and the points don't matter"

That attitude is LITERALLY KILLING THIS GAME.
Quote:
Quote:
It is not Competitiveness that i am against, it is elitism and orthodoxy. Many 'competitive' players deny changes and differences in new titles. They are like the religious nutjobs who try to have science and evolution taken out of schools. If it was up to them the game would have massively stagnated...pretty much becoming the same game with better graphics maybe each time. This would make people board and complain that the game is not evolving like they said with MW3.

^^this, though to play devils advocate. there's nothing wrong with some change, but radical change is not good. Halo 4 did this; it deviate a bit too much by reducing the skill gap to zero -_- by noobifing skill weapons like the DMR and BR with tons of aim assist and magnetism (witch is why i dont use ether anymore) witch in turn has made the game boring in a sense.

(the DMR and BR thing is just a small example of how they reduced the skill gap)
The skill gap has been reduced, but only with the current game types available in MM. I've been playing customs games recently on maps with weapons located on the map in a traditional halo way, and game types where everyone spawns with the same weapons, and guess what, it felt like i was playing traditional halo again. If they could make the ranked playlists like this then ranked games will work and the skill gap will be increased again.
Quote:

Look at the PC. Starcraft 2 and League of Legends are some of the BIGGEST GAMES in the world. Do you really think people are whining about those games because they have VALID and ACCURATE ranking systems? No, no they are not. You'd have to be CRAZY to argue that having a visual indicator towards your ACTUAL skill is a bad thing.

It gives players a reason to keep playing, it indicates your progress and something to work towards. It's not about measuring e-peens, it's about having a system that you personally can work towards and feel accomplished when you do well. It's about getting placed against harder and harder opponents to see how far you can take it. It's about actually trying, because matches matter.

If you are against a visual ranking system, you should re-evaluate your stance. Because it literally means you do not care about the game.

this is based on you opinion and by what you see as fact. opinions are fine, but trying to pass them off as fact is a little much. also if you need to have a number to validate yourself you need to put video games down and do something else. (validating yourself though a game is ridiculous and childish, validate yourself off RL like your work (or school work if you still in school)

not that Ive problem with visible ranks; aside from johnny try hard being a -Yoink- to everyone in the lobby because he has a 48 -_- and then camping across map in a glitch with sniper and rockets.

but honestly people try to put to much on ranks and not enough on actual game play. as Ive said before, rank means nothing. it can be bought, boosted or hacked.

"If you are against a visual ranking system, you should re-evaluate your stance. Because it literally means you do not care about the game."

^^ no that's not what it mean. it means simply that they dont care about competitiveness, there's a difference between not caring about a game and not caring about competitiveness.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

^^this, though to play devils advocate. there's nothing wrong with some change, but radical change is not good. Halo 4 did this; it deviate a bit too much by reducing the skill gap to zero -_- by noobifing skill weapons like the DMR and BR with tons of aim assist and magnetism (witch is why i dont use ether anymore) witch in turn has made the game boring in a sense.

(the DMR and BR thing is just a small example of how they reduced the skill gap)
The skill gap has been reduced, but only with the current game types available in MM. I've been playing customs games recently on maps with weapons located on the map in a traditional halo way, and game types where everyone spawns with the same weapons, and guess what, it felt like i was playing traditional halo again. If they could make the ranked playlists like this then ranked games will work and the skill gap will be increased again.
possibly. though there's still alot that contribute to a lowered skill gap besides what i said ill name a few: insta spawn (basically no penalty for deaths) ordnance drops (you dont have to work to obtain you power weapon really, because is dropped right to you) reverse pawning (when you punish a bad team by pushing them back to there base and they get a free shot you in the -Yoink- card off re-spawning in your base instead of there's)

those are just a few that need fixing. otherwise this will be little to no skill gap. honestly i rather have a decent skill gap and no ranks, because then you would be forced to show you skill on the field with action rather then words in a lobby
Quote:
Quote:

this is based on you opinion and by what you see as fact. opinions are fine, but trying to pass them of as fact is a little much. also if you need to have a number to validate yourself you need to put video games down and do something else. (validating yourself though a game is ridiculous and childish, validate yourself off RL like your work (or school work if you still in school)

not that Ive problem with visible ranks; aside from johnny tryhard being a -Yoink!- to everyone in the lobby because he has a 48 -_- but honestly people try to put to much on ranks and not enough on actual game play. as Ive said before, rank means nothing. it can be bought, boosted or hacked.

^^ no that's not what it mean. it means simply that they dont care about competitiveness, there's a difference.
What he said was largely right, and both Starcraft and LoL have such a large user base because of the games support to the competitive players. And how does wanting a number to validate yourself make you seem ridiculous and childish in a game? Would you say the same to people who play sports competitively? It's the same thing, just on a different medium. Someone who plays a sport wants to be validated that they are better than their opponent, it has no impact on the rest of their life but it is seen as normal and right. So why can't we have the same in games? You're still competing against an opponent and you are still going to want that validation, nothing about it is childish, it's called being human.
The reason i would like to see a ranking system is not to see some useless number or anything. I just want to get matched with people my skill lvl and go back to how halo 3 was and not have to search in fear of going against to4 over and over again with random people. Its almost always a pointless game other then just trying to improve your gameplay.
Quote:
Quote:

this is based on you opinion and by what you see as fact. opinions are fine, but trying to pass them off as fact is a little much. also if you need to have a number to validate yourself you need to put video games down and do something else. (validating yourself though a game is ridiculous and childish, validate yourself off RL like your work (or school work if you still in school)

not that Ive problem with visible ranks; aside from johnny try hard being a -Yoink!- to everyone in the lobby because he has a 48 -_- and then camping across map in a glitch with sniper and rockets.

but honestly people try to put to much on ranks and not enough on actual game play. as Ive said before, rank means nothing. it can be bought, boosted or hacked.

"If you are against a visual ranking system, you should re-evaluate your stance. Because it literally means you do not care about the game."

^^ no that's not what it mean. it means simply that they dont care about competitiveness, there's a difference between not caring about a game and not caring about competitiveness.
Oh I get it, your afraid of littly johnny tryhard talking smack. Please....

First of all, if you can't handle a little smack talk then you probably shouldn't be playing online in the first place. Second, just because a few people will talk trash doesn't mean the entire system is in place as a "Talk trash validator"

It's a REAL progression system. A visual indicator of how your ACTUAL SKILL has progressed.

My point is, if you don't care about this. Then you don't care about the game. I mean, sure you think the game is fun, you'll get on for laughs. But you don't reall care if you win or lose, you don't care about making real progress and becoming a better player you don't care to see how you stack up against the rest of the player base.

Believe it or not...THIS IS WHY ONLINE GAMING WAS CREATED. To PLAY and TRY to beat other players of similar skill. To progress and move forward.

and it's not like your forced into it, you can sit around and play randoms mindlessly all day if you want. But to try and devalue a system that has real worth, and IS ESSENTIAL IN THE LONGEVITY of the game. You should be ashamed.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

possibly. though there's still alot that contribute to a lowered skill gap besides what i said ill name a few: insta spawn (basically no penalty for deaths) ordnance drops (you dont have to work to obtain you power weapon really, because is dropped right to you) reverse pawning (when you punish a bad team by pushing them back to there base and they get a free shot you in the -Yoink!- card off re-spawning in your base instead of there's)

those are just a few that need fixing. otherwise this will be little to no skill gap. honestly i rather have a decent skill gap and no ranks, because then you would be forced to show you skill on the field with action rather then words in a lobby
All those things and more can be fixed except for insta spawn in Slayer gametypes, making a competitive playlist with a skill gap really wont be that hard. The skill gap wont be as large as in Halo 2 but it will still be there with the right game type and map settings.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5