Forums / Games / Halo: Reach and Legacy Halo

Why cant we use emiles knife?

OP dderby22

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
For the amount of credits i paid for i expected to use his knife plus if you clone ur self and go into theater mode and look in the sleeth the knife is in there so y cant we use it?
Because it is cosmetic only. Same goes for the katana in Halo 3. It's there just for the look.
dderby22 wrote:
For the amount of credits i paid for i expected to use his knife plus if you clone ur self and go into theater mode and look in the sleeth the knife is in there so y cant we use it?
That's the same thing I thought 6 years ago.
dderby22 wrote:
I thing allowing graphic knife kills in the game might also require a games rating change and they would loose out on a market demographic
dderby22 wrote:
I thing allowing graphic knife kills in the game might also require a games rating change and they would loose out on a market demographic
This argument is inherently wrong. Reach was before the makers of Halo cared about the rating. In fact Bungie wanted it to be M unlike 343. And I don’t think adding a knife would seriously change the rating. Besides, the only game that’s T is Halo 5, so how much higher could a rating on an M rated Halo game go? I don’t think a knife would earn Reach an AO.

Also like aforementioned it’s cosmetic only. If you’re buying the armor item in assumption that you would be able to use it, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.
dderby22 wrote:
This argument is inherently wrong. Reach was before the makers of Halo cared about the rating. In fact Bungie wanted it to be M unlike 343. And I don’t think adding a knife would seriously change the rating. Besides, the only game that’s T is Halo 5, so how much higher could a rating on an M rated Halo game go? I don’t think a knife would earn Reach an AO.

Also like aforementioned it’s cosmetic only. If you’re buying the armor item in assumption that you would be able to use it, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.
at first i expected to be able to use it sice im emile all da time it would just be a nice thing 2 have...i also wish we could actually have noble teams armor.
dderby22 wrote:
I’m assuming here that you’re referring to the right shoulder piece with the knife? As a day one player exploring the game for the first time and seeing all of the various armor pieces I fully expected the same - actual gameplay effects from these that affected gameplay in some way. What a massive disappointment it was when, as I continued unlocking them, I found out that none of them did anything at all - even the exclusive pre-order and legendary edition ones.

As for the knife you’re referring to, I expected it to grant a different assassination animation that took less time and therefore reduced the likelihood of being yoinked which would increase your chances to advance the appropriate commendation.

Instead what we got was a pointless ranking system that has zero to do with skill and “rewards” from earning Cr that mean nothing. I am consistently amused with all the posts on the forum inquiring about the various armor pieces - particularly the Waypoint ones - when they impart absolutely no impact upon gameplay whatsoever.
dderby22 wrote:
I’m assuming here that you’re referring to the right shoulder piece with the knife? As a day one player exploring the game for the first time and seeing all of the various armor pieces I fully expected the same - actual gameplay effects from these that affected gameplay in some way. What a massive disappointment it was when, as I continued unlocking them, I found out that none of them did anything at all - even the exclusive pre-order and legendary edition ones.

As for the knife you’re referring to, I expected it to grant a different assassination animation that took less time and therefore reduced the likelihood of being yoinked which would increase your chances to advance the appropriate commendation.

Instead what we got was a pointless ranking system that has zero to do with skill and “rewards” from earning Cr that mean nothing. I am consistently amused with all the posts on the forum inquiring about the various armor pieces - particularly the Waypoint ones - when they impart absolutely no impact upon gameplay whatsoever.
yeah it would have gamers with this armor piece an entirly new experience but it didnt :(
Because you magically get it in you hands (makes no scene 343 fix it plz) and then youy well stab them and then after that the knife is not put away and then it goes back to first person with out putting your knife away how great.
In seven years of playing Reach, it never even occurred to me that the knife would actually be used in game. Aside from most but not all assassination animations, knives, which are included on every chest armor, never factor into the game. That Bungie would have created a one-off animation for the small percentage of players that a) bought that armor and b) equipped it seems like an unlikely expectation. Plus that huge machete/kukri thing flopping around on my right shoulder always looked ridiculous to me anyway.
In seven years of playing Reach, it never even occurred to me that the knife would actually be used in game. Aside from most but not all assassination animations, knives, which are included on every chest armor, never factor into the game. That Bungie would have created a one-off animation for the small percentage of players that a) bought that armor and b) equipped it seems like an unlikely expectation. Plus that huge machete/kukri thing flopping around on my right shoulder always looked ridiculous to me anyway.
idk but i would like it
In my 8 years of playing reach, I never realized all of the chest armor variants had knives. Quite frankly once I found out none of them had any effects whatsoever I completely disregarded them since they were useless.

Why wouldn’t one expect something tangible? In my example, this particular piece would make a successful assassination attempt more likely thereby increasing the likelihood of increasing the appropriate commendation. Other effects I can think of off the top of my head - the Tacpad could slightly increase the range of the motion detector, the health pack could be used once per game(not spawn as that seems too OP), the shotgun and sniper ammo pieces could also be used once per game, and the chest piece with the robot arm could do slightly more damage in melee.

I quickly learned during the beta that the handicap settings were going to be detrimental to gameplay, so once the final release showed up I figured the armory would somehow offer defenses against them. Say - and I’m just throwing these out there - the thunderstorm effect would negate the close-range EMP of armor lock, the gungnir helmet would slightly accentuate camo-users so they are more easily seen, and a different helmet would protect against shots from above by jetpackers.
In my 8 years of playing reach, I never realized all of the chest armor variants had knives. Quite frankly once I found out none of them had any effects whatsoever I completely disregarded them since they were useless.

Why wouldn’t one expect something tangible? In my example, this particular piece would make a successful assassination attempt more likely thereby increasing the likelihood of increasing the appropriate commendation. Other effects I can think of off the top of my head - the Tacpad could slightly increase the range of the motion detector, the health pack could be used once per game(not spawn as that seems too OP), the shotgun and sniper ammo pieces could also be used once per game, and the chest piece with the robot arm could do slightly more damage in melee.

I quickly learned during the beta that the handicap settings were going to be detrimental to gameplay, so once the final release showed up I figured the armory would somehow offer defenses against them. Say - and I’m just throwing these out there - the thunderstorm effect would negate the close-range EMP of armor lock, the gungnir helmet would slightly accentuate camo-users so they are more easily seen, and a different helmet would protect against shots from above by jetpackers.
see those little touches would not only make it worthwild but would also make it more realistic to the armors properties
dderby22 wrote:

I get that you want to let 343 know about the issues you found with the ranking system, but on the forums people are allowed to post what they want, even if it's about a piece of armor that's cosmetic only and doesn't change the gameplay in any way whatsoever. In this case, OP was asking a simple question and people answered him/her. A forum can be made to discuss the details of something small and a forum can be made to discuss the details of something more important, like what you think about the ranking system.
dderby22 wrote:

I get that you want to let 343 know about the issues you found with the ranking system, but on the forums people are allowed to post what they want, even if it's about a piece of armor that's cosmetic only and doesn't change the gameplay in any way whatsoever. In this case, OP was asking a simple question and people answered him/her. A forum can be made to discuss the details of something small and a forum can be made to discuss the details of something more important, like what you think about the ranking system.
I don’t know where you’re getting all of that from. The only thing I want 343 to know about is the ongoing server issue and they already are aware. 343 didn’t design the game and its pointless armor/ranking system, Bungie did. 343 just inherited it.

As for answering the OP in regards to his post yeah, I did that and expanded on his concern. Seems like a monumental waste of time to work on things like those that have no bearing on games when certain other glitches and oversights existed then and still do to this day(e.g tiny safe spots in soft kill zones in FF and the hard-to-reach human camping spots on some infection maps). To be fair, I have no idea what “cloning oneself” is but I also never use theater mode so for all I know it’s a feature there.

Lastly, there’s only one forum, not multiples like you suggest. Unless of course you’re referring to the legacy support forum that doesn’t seem to match up with the things you’re mentioning. If you’d like to ask questions about multiple forums please start a new thread and keep this one on-topic.
dderby22 wrote:

I don’t know where you’re getting all of that from. The only thing I want 343 to know about is the ongoing server issue and they already are aware. 343 didn’t design the game and its pointless armor/ranking system, Bungie did. 343 just inherited it.

As for answering the OP in regards to his post yeah, I did that and expanded on his concern. Seems like a monumental waste of time to work on things like those that have no bearing on games when certain other glitches and oversights existed then and still do to this day(e.g tiny safe spots in soft kill zones in FF and the hard-to-reach human camping spots on some infection maps). To be fair, I have no idea what “cloning oneself” is but I also never use theater mode so for all I know it’s a feature there.

Lastly, there’s only one forum, not multiples like you suggest. Unless of course you’re referring to the legacy support forum that doesn’t seem to match up with the things you’re mentioning. If you’d like to ask questions about multiple forums please start a new thread and keep this one on-topic.
Umm yeah i didnt even know where that came from... =/
Yeah, it’s always kinda bothered me that if you have Emile’s shoulder, you still use your standard knife. The assassinations should be performed with the knife on your shoulder and the standard chest piece knife should be absent.

Another thing: anybody think it would be cool if different armor prices affected gameplay? Maybe for the campaign and Firefight only. Multiplayer would become random and unfair.
Yeah, it’s always kinda bothered me that if you have Emile’s shoulder, you still use your standard knife. The assassinations should be performed with the knife on your shoulder and the standard chest piece knife should be absent.

Another thing: anybody think it would be cool if different armor prices affected gameplay? Maybe for the campaign and Firefight only. Multiplayer would become random and unfair.
Yeah that would be pretty cool...and if we bought characters firefight voices we get there stripes and spasific color in certain spot if we had the armor.
dderby22 wrote:

Yeah that would be pretty cool...and if we bought characters firefight voices we get there stripes and spasific color in certain spot if we had the armor.
I certainly agree that the various armor pieces should confer some sort of advantage during gameplay but as for the “spasific” colors who cares, that also would have no impact whatsoever. Earlier in this thread I offered basic examples of what the unlockable armor pieces should do such as my reply to the OP’s original inquiry. As it stands all of the armor is useless and will continue to exist as such even with the impending MCC release apparently.
Mostly because it's a cosmetic piece in the sheath for Spartans, which is why it's only used be Emile in the cutscenses. If they added an extra slot for knife customization that would be amazing.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2