Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Why Didn't All Of Reach's Guns Return In Halo 4?

OP SaviorNight

Was it explained why the rest of Halo Reach's weapons didn't make it back to Halo 4? Only a few were brought over, but the rest were left behind. The Carbine Rifle made its return by replacing the Needle Rifle from Reach for example. The Covenant weapons in Reach (except the plasma repeater) were somewhat more different from the human weapons compared to previous iterations, which made them more unique. So why did 343 make the Covenant's arsenal a bit more similar to the human's again in Halo 4? I'm talking about gameplay here. Obviously for lore reasons the weapons would get switched out, but what about gameplay?
Halo 4 was supposed to appeal to a broader audience, so a lot of the weapons you see were meant to be easily recognizable. That’s why the Storm Rifle looks like an alien Assault Rifle, for example.
Was it explained why the rest of Halo Reach's weapons didn't make it back to Halo 4? Only a few were brought over, but the rest were left behind. The Carbine Rifle made its return by replacing the Needle Rifle from Reach for example. The Covenant weapons in Reach (except the plasma repeater) were somewhat more different from the human weapons compared to previous iterations, which made them more unique. So why did 343 make the Covenant's arsenal a bit more similar to the human's again in Halo 4? I'm talking about gameplay here. Obviously for lore reasons the weapons would get switched out, but what about gameplay?
I'm just gonna say it - Halo Reach's weapons sucked. Bungie went too hard in trying to make Halo 3's weapons "worse" because Reach is a "prequel" (which I mean it is, but like the time between Reach and the events of Halo 3 really are not that long). Glad to have them mostly yanked from Halo 4.

Carbine > Needle Rifle
Any other game's gravity hammer > Reach's gravity hammer
Spiker = trash
Focus Rifle = trash
PR = trash
PP, Energy Sword, Fuel Rod, Needler basically all remained the same

I did like the plasma launcher quite a lot, feel like they retooled it to make it the plasma caster in Halo 5, with a more infantry based approach. That's the only weapon from Reach I'd like to see return though.
I'm just gonna say it - Halo Reach's weapons sucked. Bungie went too hard in trying to make Halo 3's weapons "worse" because Reach is a "prequel" (which I mean it is, but like the time between Reach and the events of Halo 3 really are not that long). Glad to have them mostly yanked from Halo 4.

Carbine > Needle Rifle
Any other game's gravity hammer > Reach's gravity hammer
Spiker = trash
Focus Rifle = trash
PR = trash
PP, Energy Sword, Fuel Rod, Needler basically all remained the same

I did like the plasma launcher quite a lot, feel like they retooled it to make it the plasma caster in Halo 5, with a more infantry based approach. That's the only weapon from Reach I'd like to see return though.
I don't think Reach's weapons were bad. Although a few of them could have been handled better. 343 could have fixed the weapons to make them more effective rather than removing them all together.
I think it was because it was a new game and 343 were trying to establish themselves and make their own mark instead of carrying everything from the previous game over and leaving it the same or tweaking it slightly. Also I disagree with who said Reach's weapons sucked. I believe the needle rifle was better than the carbine, and Reach's hammer was a great variant. Always got the job done for me. Granted some of the smaller arms weapons were a little harder to master, I don't think they were trash by any means.