Forums / Games / Halo: Reach and Legacy Halo

Why Do People Hate Halo 3 ODST?

OP Sokol Reborn

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Honestly I see a lot of hate on ODST and it really makes me wonder why. I have a few theories, but in my opinion, Halo 3 ODST is a beautiful and well written game. My support are these claims.

1. Halo 3 ODST is a game centered around being lost in hopeless, you even get the sense just from the music. Even the beginning where it has the intro talking about the war and how humanity is losing, its creating the sense of “wow, do we even stand a chance”. Now of course we know what happens and Humanity prevails, but ODST has that great vibe of hopeless and even struggle.

2. Another thing is we are not super human, we are a soldier. Yes, ODST have light augmentations and are special forces, but mere soldiers at the core, also volunteers. The game has such a great way at making you feel, well human. You walk slower, you seem smaller, at-least to me I feel smaller, even when you throw grenades they’re not pen point accurate. Also, no radar like in the Spartan armor. When fighting (especially on Legendary), you feel human and honestly I loved this new perspective (also because I love ODST’s)

3. Lastly is the story. For anyone who has played Halo 2 we all know it takes place after Truth flees New Mombasa and you can even see the Forward Unto Dawn behind it. Even little details like that make this game stand out, but also the superintendent. The biggest complaint I’ve seen was how “confusing” the story was, but I feel people are just drawled away because most of the Halo games are straight to the point, while this one you have to figure out stuff. For example, the Superintendent helps you and even shows you to audio logs and I’m not gonna spoil anything, but it shows you an in depth of the corruption in the city, that the Superintendent helps you rid out. You solve a mystery as a side mission, per say, then you find your crew and leave with them. Also what I love is how you see the Superintendents emotions and then find the values on Engineers. This isn’t a main Halo game, it’s a side game for a reason, to do things different in the franchise, like Halo Wars. To which I feel people compare all the side games to the main line games and they’re different for a reason.

That’s my thoughts guys, I like hearing other opinions, so please share, also hopefully I opened up some peoples minds to replay ODST, because it is one of my favorites.
It's been the better part of 10 years since I last played ODST so my memories are hazy at best, but my biggest turn-off was the darkness and loneliness of Rookie's sections. They did an excellent job of creating an oppressive atmosphere, but that's simply not what I like in a game; I prefer having friendly AI around in a bright, scenic environment. It's part of the reason why I remember levels like Delta Halo, Regret, Tsavo Highway, and The Ark so fondly. ODST does have similar moments, but a lot of it is urban fighting in a place that I don't find visually interesting or memorable.
It's a surface-level gripe, but it is what killed my desire to replay it back in the day. Bungie achieved what they were going for, but what they were going for isn't my cup of tea.

That being said, I am going to buy it when it comes out on PC. A lot can change in a decade, so I might enjoy it a lot more this time around.
I assume that Halo 3 ODST is hated more than other Halo games because it doesn't follow the same storyline as other games. But you could argue that Halo Reach follows a different storyline. Halo Combat Evolves follows the events of Halo Reach, but Halo CE came first. Halo 3 ODST is a more out there game and when I played the game I had a hard time figuring out where to go as it didn't get any instructions. Halo 3 ODST had characters that people might not like as much as others. But in Halo 5, Buck made a return as a Spartan. In Halo Reach, Spartan B312 or Noble 6 had a backstory but Rookie didnt. I personally didn't have a problem with the game and this is just my perspective and I hope this helped.
I dont hate it I think it was a nice change in feel in the halo universe!!
Idk where you're seeing the hate,I rarely see true hate for odst.It was disappointing for 3 reasons

1.60 dollars for a game that should have been a 30 to 40 dollar expansion

2.Very short campaign

3.no multiplayer pvp
I assume that Halo 3 ODST is hated more than other Halo games because it doesn't follow the same storyline as other games.
Halo 3 ODST takes place during Halo 2, because theres an easter egg where the In Amber Clad flies through the slipspace portal. The In Amber Clad, the one chief was ON.
nah i freaking loved it
Idk where you're seeing the hate,I rarely see true hate for odst.It was disappointing for 3 reasons

1.60 dollars for a game that should have been a 30 to 40 dollar expansion

2.Very short campaign

3.no multiplayer pvp
The pricing was set to $60 because it was also coupled with the Halo 3 Mythic disc, which included the entirety of Halo 3 excluding the campaign, and included every multiplayer map/map pack.
I rarely see anyone hate on Halo 3: Odst....in fact the only complaints I can think of was the lack of vs multiplayer and poor servers for firefight....even though Odst Firefight had the best Firefight in the series. Actually enjoyed the story, no issues with playing as an Odst.
Never personally hated Halo 3: ODST but what I most commonly heard in negative way about the game were pretty much:
- the short campaign
- urban environment was rather dull
- price was high for the content (Halo 3 multiplayer was included but it's old stuff that weren't asked to be there meaning some people technically pay twice for it)
- it was really similar to Halo 3 (only difference I hoped was for brutes which were wussies in confetti armor, kind of changed in Halo Reach but still not as good as Halo 2 + they looked really weird.)

Along those lines, there were some more but it's been a decade since then & there have been quite few Halo releases with their own things in between that time.

Everytime I hear people claiming that only the new releases get dissed while "old games" are praised I just remember the times when those "old releases" were new, highlighting the problems on those games were a bit more relevant near their launches.
It also had a great (if different to usual Halo at the time) soundtrack! I still listen to it when I am at work/working on something creative.

I once had a wild thought for Halo 5 - what if Locke and Fireteam Osiris’ story had been added later as an ODST-style add-on rather than part of the main campaign? Letting you actually do a ‘hunt for the truth’ as a side-story, and having Chief and Blue Team Get their own proper full campaign story.
I like having more narrative content to play through, so I am a bit biased on that :)
I feel like I see a lot of praise recently, relative to the other games currently available. It's interesting because at the time of release people may have criticized the game, but now since it can be compared to games like Halo 4 and Halo 5, people say ODST is great. This is not representative of everyone's opinion, and for the record I like Halo 4, 5 and ODST. I'm not really picky about games in general.
Halo 3: ODST was different. Plain and simple. People didn't like not being able to play as the Master Chief and that it didn't have any time of multiplayer other than Firefight. In my opinion, the campaign is one of the best in the Halo series and Firefight was a real treat to play with friends.
I haven't heard much hate for ODST at all, but I'd guess for the same reasons that people didn't like Reach. It was too different and just didn't feel like Halo to them (that or the pricing just for a not-as-grand campaign and firefight mode). I personally liked ODST although I still thought it should've been cheaper.
Back when it came out, the sixty dollar price tag felt over priced and like a rip off. The game itself felt like Halo 3 part 2 which in a way it was. Many people hated it because it lacked any matchmaking playlists and I’ve even heard hate for the vidmasters (Mainly Endure). In my opinion, it was a great and fun game that I enjoy playing and is personally one of my favorite halo campaigns (under Reach). Also, most of these criticisms are a bit outdated and the fanbase has long since moved on from them.
When I talk to people, they say how they disliked it and it may just be the people I talk to, but they didn’t like the story or the main protagonist and how he had no character and I heard them say it was lazy writing, when I thought it was the best Bungie created. Mainly I feel it deserves more credit.
The last pure classic halo experience and it also dropped the crappy dual welding mechanic as well. Introduced arguably halos best edition of fire fight/horde mode,
Even on the Bungie forums back in the day, I have legit never heard or seen anybody talk bad about Halo 3: ODST. All of the comments I have seen or heard about the game have always been positive.
I remember a Halo-playing coworker telling me they found it ‘weird’. The non-linear setup of the campaign missions might have thrown off a lot of people, especially with the city map element added on top of that. I can see why if in your usual FPS/shooters you’re used to just following a set order of missions as they come, rather than picking which of the squadmate flashbacks to find and play yourself.

I don’t know if i’d classify ODST as totally open-world, more like...’quasi-open-world’, or a branching story kind of thing? Which to be honest I do like when it is done well, scratches my narrative/RPG exploration itch.
I dont hate it I think it was a nice change in feel in the halo universe!!
Completely agree. Was nice for a chance to play as ODST for 1 and have a different feel to a Halo game. It was well thought of and I liked it a heck of a lot.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3