[Locked] Why do people think reach sucked

OP Xur AgentOfNine

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7
Halo Reach had great campaign, with nice variety of environments, enemies and weapons (and I didn't liked "space shooter" part one bit). It had great atmosphere, not as heavy as Killzone or Gears of War, but something unique in Halo series. When compared to Halo 4 campaign, Halo 4 feels like Halo 1 wannabe. It's fun, but there is not as many memorable moments as in Reach or Halo 3.

However multiplayer is probably more important part of Halo series, and Reach is the biggest disappointment. While Halo 3 was very slow and casual friendly, Reach tried to take huge step into more modern and hardcore direction. Something Halo 4 did right, but Reach failed. For me it was worst of both worlds: with lack of bleedthrough, short jumps and falling damage it wasn't as intuitive and funny as Halo 3, and yet it had it's shortages: unbalanced default weapons (no matter if it's BR from Halo 2/3 or DMR from Reach) and archaic matchmaking system with very common 1v4 or 3v7 matches (something what should've been fixed long time ago by implementing joining in progress).

Reach even had it's own mistakes, like Armor Lock or Sword Base.
I mean Halo 4 still need balancing and fixing on many small things, but in it's core it's great. Halo Reach is it's weaker alternative, when you just need small refreshment.

Oh, and Halo 3 is grandfather of both, slow and primitive, but still somehow funny when you're too drunk to play Halo 4.
Quote:
However multiplayer is probably more important part of Halo series, and Reach is the biggest disappointment. While Halo 3 was very slow and casual friendly, Reach tried to take huge step into more modern and hardcore direction. Something Halo 4 did right, but Reach failed.
You know, this is the opposite of everything I ever read anyone else type.
Quote:
Quote:
However multiplayer is probably more important part of Halo series, and Reach is the biggest disappointment. While Halo 3 was very slow and casual friendly, Reach tried to take huge step into more modern and hardcore direction. Something Halo 4 did right, but Reach failed.
You know, this is the opposite of everything I ever read anyone else type.
Yes, I know this forum and Halo "fanbase" in general. Most of those people learned with Halo 2/3 how to hold gamepad properly, no wonder they will defend those games with tooth and nails. Truth is, if Halo 3 was as "hardcore" as some of them claims, they wouldn't play it, like they haven't played Unreal Tournament 3 (which came out around same time). It was very simple and user friendly, and that's why it attracted so many people. Now players are more experienced when it comes to console fps, and if game like Halo 3 came out, it would have been ridiculed. Just like Reach did when it tried to act as "mature" and "serious" game while it repeated most of Halo 3 mistakes (and making new ones).
Reach has faster matchmaking. Seriously in halo 4 I've been waiting in the lobby for players to be found for minutes at a time before I either get a join in progress or a new match is made.

Also Reach's user interface is much friendlier than Halo 4's.

I didn't like dmr duels in reach and the campaign AI's were crap.
my bullet don't go straight. that is enough.
I think reach was good but I don't see it as being better then halo 3, still a good game with amazing forge and custom games but some stuff wasn't balanced and the original maps were not good at all, so all in all I thought reach was good but it wasn't as good as halo 3/odst
Was the OP really a year ago or is the site glitched again?

I think Reach was an awesome game, multiplayer wise I'd place it above h4. It had a wide selection of vehicles, both air and ground. It had a wide range of maps, from big to small. It had custom games that were not trash. If bloom was a pain to you than don't spam the trigger, if an AA was bothering you, there was always a counter.
The story was based around your custom Spartan, and to this day having to unlock cosmetics to make your unique is locked behind a grind wall, so at the end of the day, by the time you've unlocked the cosmetics, you're too burnt out to actually enjoy the game. Why I never played the campaign. And Multiplayer/Firefight were no different than any other game, so why even bother when you have everything unlocked from 3. Waste of time and money.

PSA: Just because you hold a game in your nostalgic heart doesn't mean it didn't suck. Not everyone shares your rose tinted memories. Compared to mordern games, yes it sucks. The community made the game legendary, wheras the premise of it was quite flawed. (Changing the entire flow of Halo's Gameplay as well as custom Spartans with locked cosmetics. Voices/Armor effects, understandable, but not armor modification.) I know many people who dropped Reach the moment they realized the grind behind the cool looking stuff. I kept playing, unlocked all i could to get to the point of, what was even the point. Now i look cool, too burnt out to play story, and no progression system making Multiplayer worth it, when 3 had a much better and much stabler matchmaking.
Please don't revive 9 year old topics thanks
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. ...
  6. 7