Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Why Does Halo 4's Population Keep Descreasing

OP Fruitcake Gypsy

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 14
  4. 15
  5. 16
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. ...
  9. 19
The game isn't failing because of this H4/Cod hybrid that you speak of. It due to the lack of content. Need more traditional playlists(double team, FFA,Snipers, etc..), need smaller symmetrical maps(alot more), harder leveling, separate ranked playlists...
I addressed the topic of the aging core Halo fan-base in my post. I'm too old and have too much on my plate to waste time playing a video game all day. But just because that original Halo population aged, I don't think that should matter as much. One generation got older, and the younger generation came into the market. I feel as if that should balance out somehow.

As to your economy post, I think anybody who is going to own an Xbox 360 already has one. It's been out for awhile. Getting a new $60 game, I can see that point. Nothing to really say there, $60 is a lot of money to spend on entertainment like a video game, when there are far cheaper alternatives. ($20 for a movie, $10 for a book, $15 for an album, etc.)

Not sure if I'd use our military vets, bless them for their service, as a reason why military shooters are so popular. Video games, especially shooters tend to glorify and reward killing. In real life, it's a different story. And I hope anyone who plays a game understands that. Go ahead and ask a vet if a video game is like the real thing that they had to experience, I guarantee that they'd rather not even talk about it.
Quote:
The game isn't failing because of this H4/Cod hybrid that you speak of. It due to the lack of content. Need more traditional playlists(double team, FFA,Snipers, etc..), need smaller symmetrical maps(alot more), harder leveling, separate ranked playlists...
Perhaps its a bit of both?

But i certainly agree all the points you raised need to be fixed.
I got to 130 playing Spartan Ops, because Halo 4 multiplayer reminds me of a bad Action Sack Playlist from previous Halo games. With to many power weapons and a lack of seriousness and objective play that I crave and Halo 4 is incapable of providing.

Had a similar issue with Reach, but Halo 4 has taken it to a new low.

So instead I went back to Dark Souls.
To play a game that rewards dedication, where power is earned, and battles are hard fought.
Quote:
The game isn't failing because of this H4/Cod hybrid that you speak of. It due to the lack of content. Need more traditional playlists(double team, FFA,Snipers, etc..), need smaller symmetrical maps(alot more), harder leveling, separate ranked playlists...
They really ought to look at the gametypes we had in Halo 2. We once had stuff like Rumble Snipers, Rumble Fiesta, which kept the game fresh. Those really were the glory years with that game.
Quote:
Many players are capped and stopped playing till they can level again.
Many players are adults that only play prime time weekends
Many players are kids who have parents to only allow short playtimes
Many players are busy because its Christmas in 11 days
Many players are bored with the current maps/rotation
Many players are crap and dont want to get better so give up

And last but not least;

Many players only went online with the free 14 day trial and are to cheap to buy gold.

I think that about covers it.
Amen.
Quote:
Many players are capped and stopped playing till they can level again.
Many players are adults that only play prime time weekends
Many players are kids who have parents to only allow short playtimes
Many players are busy because its Christmas in 11 days
Many players are bored with the current maps/rotation
Many players are crap and dont want to get better so give up

And last but not least;

Many players only went online with the free 14 day trial and are to cheap to buy gold.

I think that about covers it.
Excuses. Most of these can be applied to Halo 3 and Reach but the population in both games never dipped so much. This game has such a low population compared to 3 and Reach.
They modified MM too much. H2 and H3 had it right. It wasn't necessary to change the formula further like Reach ,but instead improve upon whatever trivial issues H3 MM had.

I have too many complaints about the core gameplay so I won't add those.
Quote:
They modified MM too much. H2 and H3 had it right. It wasn't necessary to change the formula further like Reach ,but instead improve upon whatever trivial issues H3 MM had.

I have too many complaints about the core gameplay so I won't add those.
I agree with you. Reach and 4 have dramatically altered many things about Halo, and players apparently don't like it enough to keep playing in matchmaking.

343 would have been better off revamping the CE, 2, and 3 Halo core gameplay, rather than continue and intensify the Reach changes.

I actually think lots of people bought Halo 4 thinking Halo was going back to being more like Halo 3 to be honest. I kind of thought it was going to be more like 3 myself, which I was actually not happy about at the time because I thought I disliked Reach over a lack of maps and armor lock, and a few other minor things. But now that I've played 4 which does have maps and no armor lock, I've realized Halo CE, 2, and 3 truly were far superior to Halo Reach.
I left b/c there were simply other games to try out.
Like Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed, Hitman Absolution.

I also didn't like the fact they didn't add smaller maps.
It's been out for 5+ weeks now. The popularity of it was bound to decrease over time, especially with the
state War Games is in at the moment.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
The game was built for cheap thrills and lacks replayability.
The ranked doubles got me and my friend into 3. I played Reach when I had nothing better to do, but the fiddly progression/unlock system killed 4 for me. The playlists didn't help either.

I don't expect anything original from 343 and Microsoft and imagine they would rather run Halo into the ground than turn back now. I really hope Bungie or some other developer runs with the custom game aspect...
I think it's mostly due to "cheap thrills" that ultimately get dull fast. Yeah, it's nice to call in personal ordinace a time or three, but that gets old. Quickly. Add to it that by SR 30 most have unlocked everything they want or are going to use and Halo 4 starts showing it's lack of depth in the MP space. In all honesty, now that I really think about it, it's more an issue of; Halo 4 is a sprinter not a distance runner. The game just doesn't have the legs to appeal to many people over the long term.
Good post - I think you hit the nail on the head
Quote:
I think it's mostly due to "cheap thrills" that ultimately get dull fast. Yeah, it's nice to call in personal ordinace a time or three, but that gets old. Quickly. Add to it that by SR 30 most have unlocked everything they want or are going to use and Halo 4 starts showing it's lack of depth in the MP space. In all honesty, now that I really think about it, it's more an issue of; Halo 4 is a sprinter not a distance runner. The game just doesn't have the legs to appeal to many people over the long term.
+1
The game fails in every way possible but I'm going to play to get my moneys worth.

Join in Progress is one of the most horrible experiences added. In team slayer it is impossible to comeback from being down because weapons don't spawn on a map. They are given to people who are doing well with score. So the better a person is the more invincible they become? Now add being thrown into this mess and not having a hand in creating that crapfest!

Levels are awful! People complain in these boards about levels, so stop voting for the ones you don't like! Last 5 games I played 9/10 people voted for haven, the most broke -Yoink- one sided level there is! Complex is a joke because you can be spawned in the wide open and EVERY game EVER has someone camping the high spots with invisi-snipe!

Campers/AFK are in every game I play. Not sure if they just are not connecting to host but they just sit there. It drives me crazy because I've seen ppl jetpack to the decorative contraption on haven and hide entire games! or people just don't play and get xp anyhow.

Teams are horribly one sided! Add a ranking system! If I play without any friends i get teammates that lvl in the teens. We wind up playing an army of 100s that are all in group chat!
I think there are two reasons to why Halo 4 does not have a strong population like the other Halo's. My first reason is Halo 4 is not a good game. My second reason is since the Xbox is more of a entertainment console than a gaming console, people might have just given up playing games and use the entertainment features now.
http://majornelson.com/2012/12/13/live-activity-for-week-of-dec-3/

christ on a bike, can you people give it a rest?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 14
  4. 15
  5. 16
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. ...
  9. 19