4. 18
  5. ...
  6. 19
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
the peak population is at 31% of its max and still declining. including xmas sales.
So is CoD's. OMG CoD IS TEH DEAD!!!111oneoneeleven

You also neglected to mention it's 40% peak jump since Christmas day. It's ok though, everyone who sees your posts knows you have an agenda.
I INCLUDED XMAS SALES. with out xmas sales the peak population is at around 19%
22.3% from the absolute lowest day.

32.7% for yesterday.

Either way, last estimate I heard was also a 60% decline for CoD peak population from it's first few day run. APPARENTLY, this is part of a normal gaming cycle when people have many choices.
thanks. as you see COD is doing better. a difference that gives cod 100,000 more people is very large.

if you subtract the population growth for xmas and asume the population followed its path. the peak pop would be at 19% or 18%. just so we are on the same page here and you dont try and twist my words.
No, 22.3% is the lowest day ever compared to the highest day ever. Not 18% or 19%
Yesterday, the last full day with a peak population, ther were 32.7% of the previous max. We can't ASSUME anything, as the population remained steady for about 3 weeks before that drop to 91K on Xmas Eve.

CoD, which sold more copies than Halo 4, has kept about 40% of it's previous high at peak times.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
the peak population is at 31% of its max and still declining. including xmas sales.
So is CoD's. OMG CoD IS TEH DEAD!!!111oneoneeleven

You also neglected to mention it's 40% peak jump since Christmas day. It's ok though, everyone who sees your posts knows you have an agenda.
I INCLUDED XMAS SALES. with out xmas sales the peak population is at around 19%
22.3% from the absolute lowest day.

32.7% for yesterday.

Either way, last estimate I heard was also a 60% decline for CoD peak population from it's first few day run. APPARENTLY, this is part of a normal gaming cycle when people have many choices.
thanks. as you see COD is doing better. a difference that gives cod 100,000 more people is very large.

if you subtract the population growth for xmas and asume the population followed its path. the peak pop would be at 19% or 18%. just so we are on the same page here and you dont try and twist my words.
No, 22.3% is the lowest day ever compared to the highest day ever. Not 18% or 19%
Yesterday, the last full day with a peak population, ther were 32.7% of the previous max. We can't ASSUME anything, as the population remained steady for about 3 weeks before that drop to 91K on Xmas Eve.

CoD, which sold more copies than Halo 4, has kept about 40% of it's previous high at peak times.
You dont understand what im saying...

take a minute and think.

I tripple checked my math and i am right.
Not much of a Christmas bump.
Quote:
Well.

The game is boring and imbalanced in an uninteresting way as a result of custom classes. DMR/Camo/Boltshot namely, it doesn't take skill nor is it fun, it's actually just frustrating.

Objective modes have changed for the sake of change, and are worse than previous game.

Campaign/Spartan Ops isn't going to keep me playing the game for any notable amount of time. I have tons of single player experiences that are far better than Spartan Ops.

It's really as simple as that. Hey I just played it, and it was crazy; your game sucks, fix it maybe?
Yes, almost all the games I have played (Objective, Slayer, You name it), havent been fun, theyve been frustrating, when your teammates dont do anything and you do most of the work! Then there are the games were Halo 4 excels, when I have teammates who actually care to win and want to win. Again I'm not trying to bash casual players but it'd be great if players of my skill were matched up with me. It still is Halo at its core and when you get in a good game its fun, at least in my OPINION its fun. But those games come every 10 bad games. Cant wait for January update (Ranked playlists rumored), its make or break 343.
Quote:
Quote:
Well.

The game is boring and imbalanced in an uninteresting way as a result of custom classes. DMR/Camo/Boltshot namely, it doesn't take skill nor is it fun, it's actually just frustrating.

Objective modes have changed for the sake of change, and are worse than previous game.

Campaign/Spartan Ops isn't going to keep me playing the game for any notable amount of time. I have tons of single player experiences that are far better than Spartan Ops.

It's really as simple as that. Hey I just played it, and it was crazy; your game sucks, fix it maybe?
Yes, almost all the games I have played (Objective, Slayer, You name it), havent been fun, theyve been frustrating, when your teammates dont do anything and you do most of the work! Then there are the games were Halo 4 excels, when I have teammates who actually care to win and want to win. Again I'm not trying to bash casual players but it'd be great if players of my skill were matched up with me. It still is Halo at its core and when you get in a good game its fun, at least in my OPINION its fun. But those games come every 10 bad games. Cant wait for January update (Ranked playlists rumored), its make or break 343.
You do get matched up with players of similar skill. There is a trueskill background process. They may not have the same commitment to winning, but they should all be around the same skill level during peak times.

(There is a thread at the top of the forums about how matchmaking works)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well.

You do get matched up with players of similar skill. There is a trueskill background process. They may not have the same commitment to winning, but they should all be around the same skill level during peak times.

No thats supposed to be comeing in january. in one of the TU's
Quote:
No, it's how it already is.
Quote:
When you initially start searching in a playlist, we limit certain variables to try to give you the best possible match - these are our requirements for an ideal game. In this ‘best game search’ phase, we limit maximum latency (to a low enough value to ensure a good experience), and we limit the maximum skill difference between players (to help prevent one-sided fights). Both of these are controllable on a per-playlist basis, which allows us to have a different definition of an ‘ideal match’ per game mode.

(In case you’re curious, ‘skill’ here refers TrueSkill, the Xbox LIVE system for tracking player skill. How that works in the context of Halo 4 is too complex for the scope of this post, but you can find a nice article here with some basics of the underlying system: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/.)
it's simply not visible anywhere.

As I said...there is a great post explaining matchmaking stickied in the forum.
Quote:
Quote:
No, it's how it already is.
Quote:
When you initially start searching in a playlist, we limit certain variables to try to give you the best possible match - these are our requirements for an ideal game. In this ‘best game search’ phase, we limit maximum latency (to a low enough value to ensure a good experience), and we limit the maximum skill difference between players (to help prevent one-sided fights). Both of these are controllable on a per-playlist basis, which allows us to have a different definition of an ‘ideal match’ per game mode.

(In case you’re curious, ‘skill’ here refers TrueSkill, the Xbox LIVE system for tracking player skill. How that works in the context of Halo 4 is too complex for the scope of this post, but you can find a nice article here with some basics of the underlying system: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/.)
it's simply not visible anywhere.

As I said...there is a great post explaining matchmaking stickied in the forum.
Yea, that TrueSkill system is useless then. Wish they had it like Reach where you could choose to be similarly matched with your skill. How is Reach's population anyways? I heard H3's went up a little.
By innovating, Halo 4 will undoubtedly lose nostalgic players of Halo 3. I'm not even sure a game can recover from a population slide like this. Which is sad because I really like Halo 4. Its campaign did not engross me sadly. The only one that did was Halo 3. However, I never enjoyed the multiplayer of H3 and really enjoyed the multiplayer of H4. I do not think it is unbalanced and they are bringing out a playlist to satiate nostalgic heads. I hope that this game recovers, but as it is I am really enjoying it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well.

without a visible rank no one is really trying in this game

hence why the guy you quoted is getting games like he is.
Quote:
Such a trend CLEARLY demonstrates something is wrong with the game, and i think we all know thats true.

My hypothesis as to this decline is H4 was made to appeal to the CoD playerbase, and come the release of CoD Black Ops 2, they all left. ( As seen on the graph)

This left the Halo playerbase with effectively a hybrid Halo/CoD game, that didn't fit in with EITHER of the playerbases. The result is what we see, a AAA title with 75% of its population gone in a month after launch.

Please share your ideas as to why this is happening in the thread below.

Which is unsupportable given the current data because you can't infer opinions from a graph. You can merely describe behavior in this case which may have a lot of different underlying causes, the most important of which I would say is merely "I'm tired with the game." Your null hypothesis (Halo 4 is fine) is unrealistic because it assumes a good game will have precisely (or nearly) the same number of people playing it at any point after release as at release. That again is bonkers, especially considering the bent of the community towards more social interests given past population differences between ranked and social. You simply can't expect people to take Halo 4 as a career complete with a contract to dedicate themselves to this one game. They've got other things to do, other interests to pursue, and Halo is only one item in their busy (or not so busy) lives that is more and more likely to be dropped off completely as people become more and more accustomed (ie. bored) with Halo.

That should be the expected norm of reaction (interest is an inverse function of time, play time is directly dependent on interest) which a declining population over time (at a glance, you need to do stats against a control to say for certain) is in accordance with. The key is then to demonstrate that the current curve is greater than expected for that one condition of Halo fatigue and without a baseline (Ie. a game identical to Halo 4 in all terms except that it's unequivocably good) you can't make that.

And comparisons with COD simply can't be made. If you want to develop a proper taxonomy of video game design you'll have to go back to the Rainbow Six's, Ghost Recons, or earlier to find the features that Halo is supposedly aping from COD. That is merely a derivative work made with the fodder the genre is providing it. It's not the founding member of any clade (besides perhaps a subspecies of -Yoink- military games.)

Nor with that it mind can you suppose that COD features are a detriment to Halo. Looking at the problem objectively you merely have two branches of shooters which have certainly traded genes before (COD: guns, grenades, melee, regenerating health, vehicles. Halo: -Yoink- military jargon spackled into the campaign.) Each item needs to be taken according to an independent value of fitness, according to it's own environmental circumstances. IE. reasonably, cause and effect, (ex. the DMR reduces gameplay by oversimplifying mid-long ranged combat via an overpowered, scoped semi-automatic weapon set against the rest of the sandbox.) But then again that's all to do with how each gameplay feature opperates in Halo. It doesn't matter one bit if it's in another game too (selection only opperates [in direct terms] according to immediate physical circumstances.)

So, nice phrasing in the scientific method, but you need to follow through with its application.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 17
  4. 18
  5. ...
  6. 19