Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Why Halo 3 Multiplayer is my least favourite

OP Razsorsharp

I like Halo 3 very much. I believe it is an excellent game and should be praised like it has been. However, it has my least favourite multiplayer in the series. Here's a ranking of my favourite Halo multiplayer, if you are interested.

Halo 5: Guardians
Halo 4
Halo 2: Anniversary
Halo: Reach
Halo 2
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 3

First off, I do not hate Halo 3 multiplayer. I play it every now and then and have lot's of fun. I just like it the least.

I find it very jarring that Halo 3 is the only game that has projectile weapons. I prefer hitscan myself. It's very frustrating for me and I don't always have good Internet.

The reason why the classics are at the bottom of my list is because they are very slow. I believe that walking away from danger is the most non-sensible thing ever. We are Spartans. Why are we walking away from gunshots?

This is all just my opinion. I know it is an unpopular one but I wanted to voice it. Thanks for reading!
Halo 3 was a product of its time. Despite other games seccumbing to the ‘first see, first kill’ mentality, Halo 3 stuck to its origins. Halo was traditionally a slow paced game where every kill told a different story, which you could tell your friends. Contrast this to Call of Duty, where the story will be how many kills you got and nothing of the substance of each particular kill.

I think this gives Halo 3’s competitive edge and as a result a more timeless and unique multiplayer matchmaking mode, compared to many other games. If you pick up a controller, Halo 3 treats every player very equally. This makes it extremely appealing to me. The kind of progress, building on the foundations of Halo 3, was Reach-style improvements to the overall game. That didn’t happen, Halo 4 and 5 are totally different games with a complete different pace, at least for me, than what Halo 3 or Reach are.

As a result of these different styles of play, we’ve created two sunsets of Halo fans. Those who prefer a more classic Halo 2/Halo 2/Reach style of play and those who prefer the style of gameplay in Halo 4 and 5. You either prefer one type of gameplay or the other. It isn’t often I meet someone who’s favourite games are Halo 3 and Halo 5, for example. I think this explains your preferences for the new games.
TomoK12 wrote:
Halo 3 was a product of its time. Despite other games seccumbing to the ‘first see, first kill’ mentality, Halo 3 stuck to its origins. Halo was traditionally a slow paced game where every kill told a different story, which you could tell your friends. Contrast this to Call of Duty, where the story will be how many kills you got and nothing of the substance of each particular kill.

I think this gives Halo 3’s competitive edge and as a result a more timeless and unique multiplayer matchmaking mode, compared to many other games. If you pick up a controller, Halo 3 treats every player very equally. This makes it extremely appealing to me. The kind of progress, building on the foundations of Halo 3, was Reach-style improvements to the overall game. That didn’t happen, Halo 4 and 5 are totally different games with a complete different pace, at least for me, than what Halo 3 or Reach are.

As a result of these different styles of play, we’ve created two sunsets of Halo fans. Those who prefer a more classic Halo 2/Halo 2/Reach style of play and those who prefer the style of gameplay in Halo 4 and 5. You either prefer one type of gameplay or the other. It isn’t often I meet someone who’s favourite games are Halo 3 and Halo 5, for example. I think this explains your preferences for the new games.
I agree with everything you say. And yeah, I really do much prefer the faster style of gameplay present in 4 and 5. I am not a really good multiplayer gamer so I get more easily frustrated with Halo 3 because of it's skill gap. Doesn't mean it is a bad game. I love all the Halos, I just love 5 more than 3.
Ok this is 100% bait
Axo wrote:
Ok this is 100% bait
If I was trying to bait you, I wouldn't criticise what I believe to be faults in the game. I even said I like playing the game. Just because I don't like something that is popular doesn't mean I'm trolling.
Axo wrote:
Ok this is 100% bait
If I was trying to bait you, I wouldn't criticise what I believe to be faults in the game. I even said I like playing the game. Just because I don't like something that is popular doesn't mean I'm trolling.
the fact you looped halo 2 and 3 together as the same style of play
the fact you linked halo 2,3 and reach as the same style of play
i don't think you've ever played more than one of those three, halo 2 was completely different to halo 3, halo reach is insanely different to both aforementioned games
Axo wrote:
Axo wrote:
Ok this is 100% bait
If I was trying to bait you, I wouldn't criticise what I believe to be faults in the game. I even said I like playing the game. Just because I don't like something that is popular doesn't mean I'm trolling.
the fact you looped halo 2 and 3 together as the same style of play
the fact you linked halo 2,3 and reach as the same style of play
i don't think you've ever played more than one of those three, halo 2 was completely different to halo 3, halo reach is insanely different to both aforementioned games
I have played all of the FPS Halo games religiously. All you have to do is look up my gamertag on Xbox Live and see my achievements for those games. I think this is a classic (pun intended) case of you seeing my post title and just assuming I have a hatred of classic Halo. I love classic Halo and modern Halo. I just like modern Halo more. Doesn't make me any better than you or you any better than me. Lastly, what would I gain from posting a troll post on Halo Waypoint just to make people mad? If this was a troll post, I am pretty sure the mods would have locked it by now. However, since I calmly and respectfully voice my opinions without trying to make myself seem like the one true Halo fan, it hasn't been taken down yet as there is no need to. The only person here who doesn't seem to respect other people's opinions is you. If you want to carry on this silly debate, please don't post it here. Either we just drop it or we can continue via private messaging on Waypoint. I don't want to see this post locked. Hopefully, we can all just along because I am really getting sick and tried of this community lashing out at each other over a video game where you shoot aliens.
Plenty of reasons why H3’s multiplayer is polarizing so I can understand why you don’t like it much as the other games.
Axo wrote:
Axo wrote:
Ok this is 100% bait
If I was trying to bait you, I wouldn't criticise what I believe to be faults in the game. I even said I like playing the game. Just because I don't like something that is popular doesn't mean I'm trolling.
the fact you looped halo 2 and 3 together as the same style of play
the fact you linked halo 2,3 and reach as the same style of play
i don't think you've ever played more than one of those three, halo 2 was completely different to halo 3, halo reach is insanely different to both aforementioned games
I have played all of the FPS Halo games religiously. All you have to do is look up my gamertag on Xbox Live and see my achievements for those games. I think this is a classic (pun intended) case of you seeing my post title and just assuming I have a hatred of classic Halo. I love classic Halo and modern Halo. I just like modern Halo more. Doesn't make me any better than you or you any better than me. Lastly, what would I gain from posting a troll post on Halo Waypoint just to make people mad? If this was a troll post, I am pretty sure the mods would have locked it by now. However, since I calmly and respectfully voice my opinions without trying to make myself seem like the one true Halo fan, it hasn't been taken down yet as there is no need to. The only person here who doesn't seem to respect other people's opinions is you. If you want to carry on this silly debate, please don't post it here. Either we just drop it or we can continue via private messaging on Waypoint. I don't want to see this post locked. Hopefully, we can all just along because I am really getting sick and tried of this community lashing out at each other over a video game where you shoot aliens.
i literally skim read it and realized it was a troll when you grouped halo 2 3 and reach and said halo 2 was slow paced.
tuhin94 wrote:
Plenty of reasons why H3’s multiplayer is polarizing so I can understand why you don’t like it much as the other games.
Hey, thanks. I'm glad someone here respects and understands my opinion.
Axo wrote:
Ok this is 100% bait
Bout to say the same
Ngl Reach has to be my favorite
Halo 3 mp was pretty solid tho in my opinion
Axo wrote:
Ok this is 100% bait
Bout to say the same
Ok, fine whatever. Sorry for sharing my opinion. I guess liking Halo 5 multi player more than Halo 3 multi player can't be taken seriously. I thought I was being respectful in my post. I said I don't hate the game and I like playing it. But if my thoughts don't align with yours, then I'm a troll. I find it funny that a Halo 5 fan is more mature than the classic fans on this site can be at times. But I'm done with this post. Clearly, no one but a select few can take this post seriously. If the mods can lock this topic, it would be appreciated. I don't know if I can request a lock but I'm not going to engage in conversation about this topic anymore as clearly I make a lot of people upset for having different viewpoints.
Axo wrote:
Ok this is 100% bait
Bout to say the same
Ok, fine whatever. Sorry for sharing my opinion. I guess liking Halo 5 multi player more than Halo 3 multi player can't be taken seriously. I thought I was being respectful in my post. I said I don't hate the game and I like playing it. But if my thoughts don't align with yours, then I'm a troll. I find it funny that a Halo 5 fan is more mature than the classic fans on this site can be at times. But I'm done with this post. Clearly, no one but a select few can take this post seriously. If the mods can lock this topic, it would be appreciated. I don't know if I can request a lock but I'm not going to engage in conversation about this topic anymore as clearly I make a lot of people upset for having different viewpoints.
yo chill out man dont take it personally