Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Why so much hate on Halo 4 and/or 343i?

OP OPNube

I don't understand why people are hating on the game. Yeah it has bugs and stuff that needs to be fixed but its still a great game.Im enjoying the heck out of it me and a friend are level 71 and we are having a blast. we think the campaign was fun and cant wait for the next halo.
People need something to complain about.

It gives their life meaning.
If people dont like it then they dont like, I too dont think its the best Halo game so far.
Quote:
I don't understand why people are hating on the game. Yeah it has bugs and stuff that needs to be fixed but its still a great game.Im enjoying the heck out of it me and a friend are level 71 and we are having a blast. we think the campaign was fun and cant wait for the next halo.
I think your screen name about sums up why people hate Halo 4.
Quote:
I'm level 58, I actually want to turn my xbox off. I have never thought of doing that to any halo game except maybe reach but that's it. Play the campaign by yourself and you'll understand how reptitive it was, the only reason it might seem a breeze is because in co-op.

Plus on top of that vehicles get shredded pretty quickly by dmr's again....... Oh and top of that we have to put up with ordance drops that give everyone heavy weapons most of the time. The weapons drops are terrible because instead of trying to fight over 1 spartan laser it seems half a dozen people have it. Oh and killcams are rather pointless since most people I know just skips them.

Spartan ops also is basically like what they did reach multiplayer by recyling campaign/multiplayer maps. It really makes me wonder if they really did bother make a big budget game because most of the time most designs look like copy, paste.

I could go all day like the credits which is now all about boosting for credits. I wouldn't care about credits if wasn't the only way to get to rank up or the only way to be forced to get armor that I can't stand the look of. WTF were they even thinking with those armors? I swear some of them look like the spartans couldn't even see through, I thought it couldn't have got worse as reach did with that stupid 'Emile' helmet.

One more thing for my rant even the music doesn't fit. Firstly it's not bad but it's doesn't suit Halo.
I'm incredibly curious as to why some people simply don't get it. It was the same with Reach. We had such high hopes, Bungie played off of those hopes and gave us...yes...Reach. Ugh. Then, when 343 took over, they started saying how they were going to "take Halo back to its roots". Yes...this is a good game. But they didn't take Halo anywhere. From the soundtrack to the COD-like game play. This isn't Halo. Sorry, bro.
Quote:
#1 Boring Cinematics
#2 Anti-Climatic Ending
#3 Removal of Key features
#4 Addition of poorly thought out gameplay elements
#3 Removal of Human Air Vehicles from Multiplayer
#4 Addition of Mantis to Multiplayer
#5 Removal of Transport vehicle type from multiplayer
#6 Butchering of CTF
#7 Flinch ( recoil ) when using zoomed weapon instead of zoom out
#9 Removal of Assault
#10 Removal of Vip
#11 Removal of Juggernaut
#12 Removal of Territories
#13 No option to turn off sprint in Customs
#14 Poor Infection Options in customs
#15 Removal of Race Gametype
#16 No Option to play as Covenant or Other Race ( they backed themself into a corner with this one by making it war games )
#17 Armor in multiplayer is detailed and asthetically pleasing but also looks like Plastic.
#18 HORRIBLE character development
#19 Stale Dialogue in Spartan Ops
#20 Stale Mission design in Spartan Ops
#21 Medals designed to cater to 5 year olds
#22 Gameplay flow changes in MM make getting anything higher than a triple kill highly difficult compared to past games
#23 Shotgun ROF is too slow
#24 DMR is overpowered. Accuracy and Range needs to be adjusted. Needs to be 6 shot kill zoomed out and 5 shot kill zoomed in with 3 shots needed to be zoomed in to count as 5 shot kill.
#25 Character is Frozen after being vehicle boarded causing death 75% of the time.
#26 Removal of Brute Chopper
#27 Removal of Key Characters in Campaign that were expected
#28 Plasma Grenades have been Nerfed horrifically
#29 Addition of Binary Rifle as 1 shot kill sniper with HIgh ROF is unnaceptable
#30 No weapons on map in MM
#31 NO Red X's
#32 No options for Dual Weilding
#33 Semi-random Weapons drops create imbalance
#34 No accuracy Stats in Post game carnage
#35 No headshot sniper medal
#36 Banshee controls butchered
#37 Forerunner Rocket Equivalent is Extremely Overpowered.
#38 Pelican Redesign is in Poor Taste
#39 No Missions featured on -SPOILER REDACTED-
#40 Forced attempt at adding emotional layers to the story end up feeling contrived and unnatural.
#41 Map design is Horrendous, being more suitable for something like Quake 3 Arena with vehicles than Halo.
#42 Loudmouthed Spartan 4 Commander
#43 Repetitious gameplay elements that demonstrate lack of variety in player tasks.
#44 Absurd Plot holes such as "why are these Huge ships not shooting and me and easily destroying my ship."
#45 Masterchiefs suit apparently can't translate Covenant speech anymore Because they speak The covenant equivalent of Icelandic now.
Quote:
Quote:
#1 Boring Cinematics
#2 Anti-Climatic Ending
#6 Butchering of CTF
#9 Removal of Assault
#10 Removal of Vip
#16 No Option to play as Covenant or Other Race ( they backed themself into a corner with this one by making it war games )
#17 Armor in multiplayer is detailed and asthetically pleasing but also looks like Plastic.
#22 Gameplay flow changes in MM make getting anything higher than a triple kill highly difficult compared to past games
#24 DMR is overpowered. Accuracy and Range needs to be adjusted. Needs to be 6 shot kill zoomed out and 5 shot kill zoomed in with 3 shots needed to be zoomed in to count as 5 shot kill.
#25 Character is Frozen after being vehicle boarded causing death 75% of the time.
#29 Addition of Binary Rifle as 1 shot kill sniper with HIgh ROF is unnaceptable
#31 NO Red X's
#40 Forced attempt at adding emotional layers to the story end up feeling contrived and unnatural.
#41 Map design is Horrendous, being more suitable for something like Quake 3 Arena with vehicles than Halo.
#43 Repetitious gameplay elements that demonstrate lack of variety in player tasks.
#44 Absurd Plot holes such as "why are these Huge ships not shooting and me and easily destroying my ship."
#45 Masterchiefs suit apparently can't translate Covenant speech anymore Because they speak The covenant equivalent of Icelandic now.
Completly agree with you.
I'm pissed off for this one reason: 343/Microsoft rushed Halo 4 just so that they could release it a week before Blops 2. So much could have been fixed, tweaked, or even removed due to more testing.
Because -Yoinks!- seem to think that this is the first Halo that's introduced drastic changes to gameplay.

Like dual-wielding never happened, or we've always had assassinations and vehicle boarding.

For -Yoink-'s sake...
Because change is hard and this is a tremendous transition. So people, instead of acting like adults, act like children
Quote:
#1 Boring Cinematics
#2 Anti-Climatic Ending
#6 Butchering of CTF
#9 Removal of Assault
#10 Removal of Vip
#31 NO Red X's
I agree with a lot of these but for the sake of discussion I'd like to point out where I don't agree.

1) I didn't find the cinematics boring at all. I was thoroughly entertained, though slightly confused why the opening and ending cinematics contained such incredible graphics, while the in-game, important cutscenes did not.
3) I never truly liked the Hornet anyway. Easily out maneuvered by the Banshee and only truly effective at close range rendering its turrets useless.
5)Meh. I don't think this is a big part of why Halo doesn't feel like Halo anymore.
10) Bungie removed VIP, not 343i. 343i simply didn't bring it back
18)I'm not sure which characters you're referring to. If it's Master Chief and Cortana, they've already been pretty well developed..If it's Lasky, Forward Unto Dawn took care of that. Which characters are undeveloped?
25)Character models have always been frozen for a short period of time after their vehicle seat is hijacked. Otherwise they could, for instance, just sprint back up to the Ghost and board it back. This is also not a 343i addition.
32)Again, removed before 343i
40)I think they did a good job of opening the doors to understanding Master Chief as a human. We've had 3 games solely centered around developing him into a crazy bad*** dude, so they couldn't just peel back the layers and open him up. They had to ease into it, and I think they did a good job.
41)Completely disagree. I think these maps are more suited to Halo than anything they did in Reach. Plus, the terrain in the big maps allows for vehicles to be driven, but not to just run wild like in Hemorrhage for example.
42)Haha I understand where you're coming from, but I actually found him to be pretty funny. Not a welcome replacement for the humor of Sgt. Johnson, but for now he will have to do haha.

All in all, I was incredibly excited for this game, and in some aspects have been disappointed. But Halo for me has always been about playing with friends in custom games or pulling shenanigans like sniping from the back of a mongoose in Big Team. And when (when, not if, because I do believe 343 will listen to the outrage of the fanbase) they fix the problems with custom game/flood options, this game will be right where I expected it to be: forever in my disc tray.
All the criticism summarized in an easy to understand fashion:

Halo fans are loyal, loyal to a fault. They seriously care about it. Whether or not it is because they've been with it a long time like the Halo:CE or Halo 2 guys or if they love it because it gave them hours upon hours of enjoyment and good times more recently like the guys who jumped on board in Halo 3 and even Reach.

When you care that much about something you are careful with it. You don't want any harm, no matter how small, to come to it.

This kind of thing translates into Videogame fanbases too. When someone is attached to a particular series or company they just want the absolute best. They want all the things they see to be just right. For a Videogame hobbyist this tends to make you seem super critical about everything in newer games.

It isn't that the people angry or alarmed are hating the game. They love the hell out of Halo and it bothers them to see something amiss. For each guy what features are amiss can seem a little different. A lot of things play into it, but the core of it is: We are long time, loving fans and this game has flaws we wish weren't there. Please fix it so we can love this game too!

After all, no one bought Halo 4 because they wanted to hate it. Each and every person bought it because they wanted it to bring them those memories and the kind of good times they remember. The next step of that amazing Halo battlefield.

Halo 4 isn't perfect. In fact, it has a whole slew of really nasty problems. Everyone wants to best for it though. Everyone wants it fixed. Everyone wants Halo 4 to be the best it could possibly be. They want to love it. So they talk and talk and talk and criticize and debate over every little thing. It isn't like they are able to fix it themselves so they do what they CAN do. They never shut up in hopes of making sure 343i can see.
Quote:
Quote:
#1 Boring Cinematics
#2 Anti-Climatic Ending
#6 Butchering of CTF
#9 Removal of Assault
#10 Removal of Vip
#31 NO Red X's
Cause change is not an accepted thing by a lot of people. There are more people who prefer the game as it is now.
Quote:
Because -Yoinks!- seem to think that this is the first Halo that's introduced drastic changes to gameplay.

Like dual-wielding never happened, or we've always had assassinations and vehicle boarding.

For -Yoink!-'s sake...
See, the problem for me is that all those other changes didn't change the way I played the game.

I don't play vehicle games, dual wielding sucked except for one or maybe 2 exceptions. Assassinations are optional (even though doing them accidentally still pisses me off).

I don't mind changes that make little kids happy so long as I can avoid them entirely. This is different.
Quote:
Quote:
#1 Boring Cinematics
#2 Anti-Climatic Ending
#6 Butchering of CTF
#9 Removal of Assault
#10 Removal of Vip
#31 NO Red X's
1) The cinematics in Halo 4 were much more interesting than the cinematics in previous Halo games IMO.
2) If you mean the battle with the Didact, yeah, that was extremely anti-climatic. But I thought the ending as a whole was VERY well-done.
3) Which key features are you referring to?
4) See above.
3) Agree with this one. Why no Hornet, at least?
4) The Mantis isn't that bad.
5) What do you mean by transport vehicle type?
6) CTF here is more fun than in previous games, if you ask me.
7) This should be removed, I agree.
9) Yeah, what's up with that?
10) VIP can stay out. It was never that fun.
11) Agree. Juggernaut should have stayed in.
12) Territories is now basically Dominion.
13) Customs is terrible in Halo 4.
14) See above.
15) Agree. Race should never have been removed.
16) They backed themselves into a corner.
17)Yes.
18) Disagree completely. The character development was GREAT. Unless you're talking about Palmer. She's a terrible character.
19) Agree here. Palmer should shut up and stop repeating the same things.
20) Disagree. Did you not play Shootout In Valhalla?
21) What are you talking about?
22) Disagree. I find it EASIER to get multikills now.
23) Agree.
24) Agree.
25) This was already in previous Halo games.
26) Brutes are out, so it would be hard to explain the Chopper.
27) What do you mean? I thought the amount of characters was fine. Allowed the story to focus on Chief and Cortarna.
28) Not as bad as you would think.
29) They need to tone down the ROF, but the OHK is fine.
30) I can safely confirm that there are weapons on map.
31) Agree. Should not have been removed.
32) Yeah. Why is there no dual-wielding?!
33) I never noticed imbalance.
34) Agree.
35) There's a sniper medal and a headshot medal.
36) Agree. On Recon, the Banshee is nearly unplayable.
37) They should have made it have a much longer reload.
38) Disagree. The new Pelican is great.
39) It wouldn't have made sense with the story. I didn't mind it.
40) The emotional development here was much better than in Bungie games. It was definitely not forced or unnatural.
41) Map design is good here. Better than in Reach, anyway.
42) Palmer is an idiot. She needs to shut up and stop being annoying during SpOps.
43) Agree. "Press this button! Insert me into that terminal!" Annoying.
44) Which part are you referring to?
45) It made them scarier and more alien. Reach already had this.

It's nowhere near perfect, but it's still a great game.
Quote:
Quote:

For -Yoink!-'s sake...
See, the problem for me is that all those other changes didn't change the way I played the game.

I don't play vehicle games, dual wielding sucked except for one or maybe 2 exceptions. Assassinations are optional (even though doing them accidentally still pisses me off).

I don't mind changes that make little kids happy so long as I can avoid them entirely. This is different.
So basically, you're upset because the changes forced you to adapt your gameplay style, whereas in previous Halo games, you simply avoided being in situations where the changes affected you?

That's not a very good argument against Halo 4.