Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Xbox 360 support is probably ending soon ...

OP LOLdrag0n

I just realized, Halo: Reach was the last big Halo game exclusive to the Xbox 360. Moving it, along with the entire rest of the MCC over to PC is probably one of the last big "franchise migrations" that Microsoft figures they need to do before dropping support for the Xbox 360's online services.

This is just speculation, I'm not basing this on any insider information or research or anything like that. And yes, we should all be aware that Xbox 360 online services were going to end one day, but the announcement of this game probably brings us another step closer to the departure of Xbox 360's LIVE service.

Just a thought that I had that maybe nobody else realized.
That's just plain out wrong.
There's plenty of Xbox 360 games that Microsoft will continue to plan to support for the future.
Not only would "discontinuing xbox 360 support" look bad for Microsoft, it'd also make there entire backwards compatible program absolutely useless.
Also, Reach isn't the most popular backwards compatible Xbox 360 title played at all...Even Call of Duty's backwards compatible titles on the Xbox One get more players, like BO2 and MW2.

Over-all, Microsoft plans to support the Xbox 360 online services for a really long time, they've even gone as far as to say they want to bring it over to PC as well and even xCloud.

BTW, this really sin't a MCC orientated topic at all just so you know.
It's all gonna end some day or another, it doesn't mean anything.
Even Halo is temporary, tho we all wish it isn't. I just hope that today is not "the last fight". I, as a long term Halo Reach player, wish the game a prosperous life and dedicated fans.
Nevertheless, the situation makes me rethink my life choices.
This is wrong and wouldn't be very smart for all of those other heavily multiplayer games (Call of Duty, for instance) of which are still backwards compatible.

Also, not to dismiss those who prefer the backwards compatible games.

There are also some who this will be their only way to experience some Xbox 360 games, of which, they still sell in retail stores and on the Xbox One (and still 360) marketplace.

Microsoft gives off the impression that they have done this as a result of listening to their consumer base, to take that back the next day would be contradictory.

This would also impact the Games with Gold model, they'd have to work around multiplayer games, or settle with giving people games without the multiplayer component in-tact.

TL;DR, this probably isn't happening, Microsoft has no official statement on if they are going to, so there is no real reason to believe so, more games on Back Compat than just Halo CEA, 3, ODST, 4 and Reach
Microsoft pulled the plug on the original Xbox in 2010 despite the Xbox 360 being backwards compatible with big online multiplayer games such as Halo 2, so if you think that the Xbox 360 is safe strictly because of backwards compatibility and people still playing those old games online then you really need to start looking at the past actions of Microsoft.

Microsoft want Xbox to become a service, but the Xbox 360's servers are not the same ones as the Xbox One, so I doubt the Xbox 360's online functionality will be one of the continuous services that Microsoft plan to have for the next decade or more.
This is just maintenance. The servers are not expected to go down for another couple of years. This is to just fix the backwards compatibility service cause it's still buggy.
dont say things like that. its soooo depressing.
I don't think Xbox Live support for Xbox 360 is going away anytime soon, at least not in the next 4 or 5 years.
As long as Microsoft keeps pushing the idea of being a cross-play platform. The 360 still has a huge community, bigger that what the original Xbox had.
It's all gonna end some day or another, it doesn't mean anything.
Even Halo is temporary, tho we all wish it isn't. I just hope that today is not "the last fight". I, as a long term Halo Reach player, wish the game a prosperous life and dedicated fans.
Nevertheless, the situation makes me rethink my life choices.
Man reading this made me sad and it’s true too
Sad to see, but yes, you are right.